"OK Google" voice activation, deactivated?

AZbear

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I discovered something with this problem. Whenever I start Microsoft Lync and sign in to my company network OK Google is deactivated. I then need to reboot the phone to bring it back. I done this at least 20 times and OK Google is deactivated every time. The only thing I can figure is that both OK Google and MS Lync are trying to use the microphone. Maybe the one interferes with the other.

I'm sure most of you who have experienced this problem are not running MS Lync but there must be something similar going on.

coelacanth#AC

May 25, 2010
Visit site
NexusNick123 maybe talking about "say google now" message (at this point we've figured it is a mere tip, not the tied to the actual function availability), not the whole hot-word activation feature which is the actual problem.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
NexusNick123 when you do a left to right swipe on your screen does Google Now show up and when you touch that microphone does it still give you Google Now search ability by voice? If so then it is just the Hot word issue.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I have no idea what the heck is causing my mic to still not be filled in for the hotword detection to work. It worked for the first couple of days of phone use and stopped shortly after I customized some things.,

Under Google Now settings screen:
I've got "Language" set to "Default - English (US)".
I've got "Offline speech recognition" (used to have both English and Japanese here, but wondering if it mattered, I deleted Japanese, and now it only has "English (US) Pre-installed" listed.

Under regular phone settings --> Language & Input:
I've got Default Keyboard set to SwiftKey
I've got Google Voice Typing keyboard checked to be an available input method to use
I've got another 3rd party Keyboard checked to be an available input method to use

I've rebooted my phone every time I've made a change to one of these settings with absolutely no change. The mic still stays hollow and is completely inactive to any hotword.
This is frustrating,

EDIT: also the "fix" listed here (http://phandroid.com/2013/11/14/how...r-with-ok-google-command/#comment-1125886493_) didn't change anything for me either.:'(

wam1234

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I've got a Moto x and just updated to Kit Kat and it broke my Hotword detection. All of the settings are correct but it just won't work. I do have the new Google home launcher installed and wonder if this is part of the problem, though it worked with jellybean just fine.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It happened yesterday and today here. Last night I rebooted phone and immediately a Google Keyboard update began downloading (no cue from Play Store app) and OK Google worked again, then tonight it also stopped working and I rebooted and immediately an update to Google Drive began downloading (again no cue from Play Store app). But after that OK Google worked again.

The only thing that may have been changed between yesterday and before then is my phone was charging in direct sunlight for awhile before I noticed. But I hope nothing got damaged!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

jseebol

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5, completely stock, deactivates "ok google" command whenever a bluetooth connection is established. possibly conflict with bluetooth voice command using the microphone? disconnect from bluetooth does not resolve, but a restart of the phone does.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 5, completely stock, deactivates "ok google" command whenever a bluetooth connection is established. possibly conflict with bluetooth voice command using the microphone? disconnect from bluetooth does not resolve, but a restart of the phone does.

Just tested this with my stock Nexus 5. "Ok Google" continued to work even after connecting to my bluetooth stereo headset that has a microphone in the headset for cell calls. However as soon as I started playing Music the "Ok Google" stopped working then I realized that when I tested it could be the headphone mic was picking up the music not my voice. So I put the connected headset w/mic in the drawer and got about 5 feet away. "Ok Google" still didn't work then as soon as you start streaming bluetooth music it shuts down "Ok Google" So just connecting to a bluetooth device doesn't stop my "Ok Google" at least till I start streaming music.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
My phone is starting to do the same now as well. Stops working (as it should) while music and/or GPS apps are being used. Once music is turned off, it works fine. However, when I turn the GPS off (and even force stop the app via settings), I still can't activate the function via "OK Google" until power cycling the Nexus 5. This seems to be with both the stock Maps and with Waze and only started in the last few days.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Send a bug report (long press home screen, settings, help & feedback). I don't know if mine is consistently working because I don't use it that much, but it works when I try it.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Ricki916

May 22, 2011
Visit site
This worked for me.
Try rebooting into safe mode:

Reboot to safe mode
If you?re experiencing issues - such as apps crashing, reboots, or fast battery drain - on your device, they could be caused by a third-party app. To check if this is the case, you can start up your device in safe mode, which temporarily disables third-party apps that you?ve installed.

Ensure your device's screen is on, then press & hold the Power button.
Touch & hold the Power off option in the dialog box.
Touch OK in the following dialog to start safe mode.
Try using your device in safe mode to see if the problem persists. If it doesn?t, restart your device to get it out of safe mode and uninstall recently installed apps to see if you can pinpoint the one that?s causing the problem.

I tried this, Voice Search (OK Google) returned; when I rebooted back to normal mode, it was still working. If it isn't working when you reboot to normal, then start uninstalling the most recent apps you've downloaded since the time the problem started.

You can also try wiping your cache from recovery mode.

Go into Bootloader Menu and clear Cache
Hold the Power button until the device powers down completely.
Continue to hold the Power button while pressing the following buttons based on the device:
Neuxs 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, and Google Play edition devices: Press and hold Power Button and Volume Down simultaneously.
Once at the Android bootloader screen, press Volume down until you see the option Recovery mode.
Press Power button to restart into Recovery mode. You should see an image of an Android with a red exclamation point.
While holding down the Power button, press Volume Up.
Use the Volume keys to scroll down to wipe cache partition and press Power Button to select it. The device should clear the cache instantly.
Select and press the Power Button on Reboot System Now, then see if the issue is resolved.

btf6df

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I found a fix to my issue of Google Search not listening to the default "OK Google" hot words. To start, I have a galaxy s5, rooted, and infinity ROM. Now I've never had this issue with any ROM until I used titanium backup. I got an idea to just check my backups and restore the app only and not the data, bc there isn't an option on my phone to uninstall search and reinstall the app. Upon opening titanium backup, it have me a notice saying my android ID had changed due to factory reset and old app that uses security/licensing programs may not work correctly. So I changed to the previous ID stored in the TB app, and then restored APP ONLY not the data, of Google search. Bingo! It worked and I have say "OK Google" in the search box again. I'll update info if it shuts off again.

Hope this helps someone.