Should I take NEXUS 5 or G2 or Z1?

captf0r3st

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking of getting a new phone, but I can not decide which one of these three. There is something about each of them what I like. I know it is up to me but I would like to hear opinions from experts here.
Nexus 5: I have never owned a nexus device so dont know if pure android is really that so much better then customized ui from other manufacturers. But what I like is ease of mod the device without problems, great support on xda, and fast updates
Z1: Best looking smartphone, great design, and water/dust resistance but the viewing angles of the display are not so great from what I saw in store. The bigger size is not such an issue for me.
G2: probably the best display I've ever seen on smartphone, great form factor, big screen
So what do you think is the wisest choice out of these three? thanks for opinions guys.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Not sure how the others are with updates but they are nowhere near a nexus. You can customize the UI as you want. I think everyone should have a Nexus for the updates if nothing else but the Nexus 5 is a very good device.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I say nexus 5 or g2. That g2 display IS insane. You'd probably be always pumped to look at it ;) that being said the nexus is a good device as well

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 5, once you go vanilla android you won't look back believe me. The Nexus might not have a specific killer feature, but it's one of those phones that you take out of the boxe and everything just works well. It's an all around good device.

Personally the devices that lasted the longest with me are the nexus devices. For some reason my other android phones always had issues and I am sure it has to do with software.

Posted via Android Central App

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Was all set on the 5 until I walked out of the store 2 days ago with the Z1. Zero regrets and an amazing phone. Of course I'm not only bias but this is also a n5 forum ;)

FWIW before now I was a nexus only fan and I still prefer my Z1 but I also own the N7 whenever I want a stock fix so I'm also going to have kit kat ASAP. Sony just announced kit kat will be on their 2013 phones soon

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1

captf0r3st

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all your opinions, it is a pity that 32 gb version of nexus 5 is not available in country where I live :/ The biggest selling point of n5 for me is the 4.4 kitkat and development on xda....without these two things I would not even consider it :D god damn it ...why there have to be so many good phones :D

nexus555

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5, once you go vanilla android you won't look back believe me. The Nexus might not have a specific killer feature, but it's one of those phones that you take out of the boxe and everything just works well. It's an all around good device.

Personally the devices that lasted the longest with me are the nexus devices. For some reason my other android phones always had issues and I am sure it has to do with software.

Posted via Android Central App

I'd say its 5" IPS screen is a killer feature. And it's specs too, a 2.3Ghz CPU.

captf0r3st

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Other phones have the same specs. Only device which has really useful killer feature is Z1 with its IP58 certification. No other flagship has it.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't the nexus 5 and G2 have the same type of screen?

Posted via The one, The only, The Nexus 5

Same type but not the same. Held side by side they look different. G2 is cooler in tone where as the n5 screen is warmer. So whites look a little yellowish on the n5. I prefer cooler tones so to my eye the g2 is more pleasing side by side.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

jmarkey77

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I was choosing between these phones and the Note 3 and decided on the G2 due to the combination of bright screen and long battery life. As I saw it here were the differences, use them to decide which is best for you.

G2
+ Brightest screen
+ Great battery life
+ Buttons on back I love
+ Camera software
+/- Might get more updates since it's LG like the N5
- Quieter speaker than Note 3 and Z1

Z1
+ Water resistant
+ Loud speaker
- Square form not comfortable to hold

N5
+ software updates
+ Gorilla Glass 3
+ price
- Square form
- Bad battery life

Sent from my LG G2

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I was choosing between these phones and the Note 3 and decided on the G2 due to the combination of bright screen and long battery life. As I saw it here were the differences, use them to decide which is best for you.

G2
+ Brightest screen
+ Great battery life
+ Buttons on back I love
+ Camera software
+/- Might get more updates since it's LG like the N5
- Quieter speaker than Note 3 and Z1
- LG UI is fugly

Z1
+ Water resistant
+ Loud speaker
+/- Square form not comfortable to hold but good for gaming and videos in landscape
+Sony apps and UI are one of the best and most refined OEM Android forks. Too many details to list here
+Camera is a 20mpx monster that easily competes with the best smartphone cams around (reviewers saying otherwise need to L2 use camera settings)
+Excellent battery life

N5
+ software updates
+ Gorilla Glass 3
+ price
+ not a lot of fancy extra features but zero bloatware or useless gimmicks
- Square form
- Bad battery life

Sent from my LG G2

Made a few changes to even out the short selling you did ;)

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Go easy on him, most of the pleasantries I found on my phone weren't until I had it home and was able to dive into it more deeply. You also have to remember that Sony Phones get very very little coverage in American tech media outlets because none of their carriers sell it and because of that you also won't find hardly any forum activity here for Sony phones because very few Americans own them. Which is a damn shame really because The Z1 is everything compared to the latest competition that the earlier Z and ZL weren't. I wouldn't have ever chosen a Z vs the HTC1, Moto X, or GS4 (their main competition in Q2 2013) because frankly it fell short of those in both hardware and software. But the Z1 is neck in neck with the Q4 phones the G2 , Note 3, and N5