ATT and Nexus 5

Testicleez

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I just swapped the sim card out of my S3 and in to my Nexus 5. Called ATT to update them with IMEI, etc. But the data symbol on phone shows an "H" next to the signal instead of "4G." I did a speed test and the speeds are comparable to the 4G speeds I was getting with the S3.

I called ATT and Google, both basically said to contact the other, so I'm getting no where with both. Is this normal or is there a setting on the phone that needs to be put in manually so it shows the correct data symbol?

Thanks

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I just swapped the sim card out of my S3 and in to my Nexus 5. Called ATT to update them with IMEI, etc. But the data symbol on phone shows an "H" next to the signal instead of "4G." I did a speed test and the speeds are comparable to the 4G speeds I was getting with the S3.

I called ATT and Google, both basically said to contact the other, so I'm getting no where with both. Is this normal or is there a setting on the phone that needs to be put in manually so it shows the correct data symbol?

Thanks

Ok thanks.

So is it "H" for "E", "3G",etc?

I got one from Sprint and put an AT&T SIM in it and get an "H" as well. No issues though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm on ATT as well, took my sim out of my HTC one and now it says LTE on my Nexus(where its available) and H where it isn't.
I never called ATT, it just works. (and VERY good reception btw!)

beeg612

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm on ATT as well, took my sim out of my HTC one and now it says LTE on my Nexus(where its available) and H where it isn't.
I never called ATT, it just works. (and VERY good reception btw!)

Exact same scenario. I had to restart the phone a couple of times at the very beginning but that was only challenge I encountered. The N5 even shows up in my AT&T account.

itsdavetime

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I just took my SIM out of my S4 and put it into my N5 and it worked without any issue.
I never called AT&T, didn't think there was any reason to. Their systems will get the necessary data when my phone registers on their network.

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I went from a Nexus 4 to a Nexus 5. I think she had to change my plan to include LTE. Couldn't get LTE right away so she had me...

Under Wireless Networks in settings, select 'more..." > Mobile Networks > Mobile Network Settings > Access Point Names (APNs) > restore defaults > make sure ATT Phone is selected (not ATT WAP). Restart phone.

Now show LTE in the notification bar... It took a couple of tries, as I recall. Maybe give this a try?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
OP, on AT&T branded phones, there are two 4G icons: 4G and 4G LTE. If all you see is just 4G, your phone is on HSPA+. You will see a different icon if you are on LTE. On non-AT&T branded phones like Nexus 5, H means you are on HSPA+. LTE means you are on LTE. You need to have LTE provisioned on your data plan in order to connect to LTE. But since you are transition from a Galaxy S3, you should have it provisioned correctly already when you activate it with AT&T last time. But call to make sure your data plan is provisioned correctly.

AT&T has pretty big LTE coverage but you will still see places where LTE is not available. The speed difference between 4G LTE and 4G HSPA+ can be huge because HSPA+ runs on the old backbone of 3G and LTE runs on a new backbone that is not as congested. HSPA+ on AT&T typically tops out at 12mbps or so. In heavily congested area, you will be lucky to see half of that. With LTE, you can easily reach 20+ mbps speed. A lot ppl can see 40 to 60 mbps speed.

dsneedmd

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
They automatically switched you phone# to your N5?! So now you receive calls & when you call you are recognized by your friends?
I just took my SIM out of my S4 and put it into my N5 and it worked without any issue.
I never called AT&T, didn't think there was any reason to. Their systems will get the necessary data when my phone registers on their network.

esone1ll

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Another report here of a simple SIM swap from my AT&T Nokia 1020 into the N5. I got LTE right away without calling AT&T.

Posted via Android Central App

ranleung

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I get the same problem. With LTE, Im getting 15 Mbps but with only 1-2 bars. Sometimes I am unable to send MMS.

When i switch it to HSPA, Im getting 3-4 Mbps but with 4-5 bars of reception.

Does this have something with the Access Point Names?

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
If you previously had an LTE device you can swap away. I switch between a moto x, HTC one & nexus 5. As far as Att is concerned they only "know" about the moto x, so to speak. Just move the Sim from phone to phone and I am good to go.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non