Have You Gotten KitKat 4.4.1? Thread

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
It's that time again, Have you received the KitKat 4.4.1 update?:D

Let us know if you got the update and where your located.

Nothing yet here in Toronto, Canada at 8:49AM

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter where you are located in the US. The initial roll out is random and limited to make sure the update works as intended before rolling out to everyone.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter where you are located in the US. The initial roll out is random and limited to make sure the update works as intended before rolling out to everyone.

This. It goes to 1% of phones then 25% then 50%...etc. I believe it is totally random

tmx31415

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Nothing yet in Detroit. I'm sure it will be here soon and make an excellent device even better.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Got the update.
Lost ROOT so I re-ROOT'ed & re-installed Xposed. Now I'm back to normal.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Can you give me a little help doing that?

Here's how (from scratch):

1) Download & install the Android SDK
2) Download & install the proper drivers
3) Download the OTA zip & rename it to "update"
4) Navigate to the "Platform-tools" folder within the SDK & put the update.zip file into it
5) While holding [SHIFT] right-click in an empty spot within the folder & select "Open command window here"
6) Plug in your device
7) Disable "media device"
8 ) Enable "USB debugging"
9) Within the command window, type "adb devices" (without quotations)
Your device should show up with "unauthorized" after it
10) On the device, give the PC the permission
11) Repeat Step 9
Hopefully your device should now appear without "unauthorized". If so, you're now ready to actually update
12) In the command window, type "adb reboot recovery" (without quotations)
This will reboot your device into "Recovery mode" & you'll likely see a little Android guy with a triangle & an explanation mark
13) On the device, hold [POWER] & tap [VOLUME UP]
14) Still on the device, use [VOLUME DOWN] navigating to "apply update via ADB" & select it by taping [POWER]
Your device will now be ready for you to send the update
15) Back on your PC, in the command window, type "adb sideload update.zip" (without quotations)
That will push the update file to your device
16) Watch your device & wait for it to successfully complete
17) On the device, navigate to & select "reboot phone"

That's it, your phone will apply the update just like it would have had you waited for the OTA update.

Keep in mind if you're ROOT'ed you'll loose ROOT.
This method is how I update my Nexus devices using the stock recovery, stock kernel, stock everything - updating using custom stuff will vary.
If you're ROOT'ed, the update will likely fail if you've installed anything to the System folder such as BusyBox or Xposed Framework. To get passed that, you'll need to open those Apps & within the Apps themselves, uninstall the data they've installed to the System. Both BusyBox & Xposed have built-in uninstallers for this.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
15) Back on your PC, in the command window, type "adb sideload update.zip" (without quotations)

I get to here and when I try to adb sideload update.zip it tells me device not found? when I rand adb devices it just listed the serial number of my phone (before doing the reboot into recovery) I don't get any unauthorized message..... I am not rooted on this phone and was able to side loade the 4.4 update to my 2013 Nexus 7 but for some reason I can't seem to do it with my Nexus 5.

and on my phone it has the messsage to type in adb sideload (Filename)

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I get to here and when I try to adb sideload update.zip it tells me device not found?
was able to sideload the 4.4 update to my 2013 Nexus 7 but for some reason I can't seem to do it with my Nexus 5.

So you were able to successfully sideload using this method on the N7 but not the N5?

Odd, perhaps try uninstalling & reinstalling the drivers, though since ADB detected it, it should be fine.
Try closing the command window after the N7 & starting a fresh command window for the N5.
Also, make sure you replaced the N7's update.zip with the N5's update.zip

Other than that, not sure.
I updated to 4.4.1 on both my Nexus 4 & Nexus 5 back-to-back using the method I outlined - closing the command windows between updates & swapped the proper update.zip files.

You can try WugFresh's Nexus ROOT Toolkit to sideload the update.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So you were able to successfully sideload using this method on the N7 but not the N5?

Odd, perhaps try uninstalling & reinstalling the drivers, though since ADB detected it, it should be fine.
Try closing the command window after the N7 & starting a fresh command window for the N5.
Also, make sure you replaced the N7's update.zip with the N5's update.zip

Other than that, not sure.
I did both my Nexus 4 & Nexus 5 using the method I outlined, closed the command windows between updates & swapped the proper update.zip files.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. unistalled and reinstalled the SDK... When I plug my Nexus 5 up and run steps 1 - 14 flawlessly... It's once the phone goes to waiting to side load and I type in the command it now says unable to detect device... No clue why.... Worked fine with the N7....... I closed and even rebooted the computer with no success....

Very strange indeed... I still can't get it to work... Weird that it pulls the phone serial number until I get to the point of actually side loading the new update and then it's like the phone is no longer plugged up (and it is)

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Very strange indeed... I still can't get it to work...

You can try updating via Fastboot instead of ADB, or Wugs Fresh Nexus ROOT Toolkit - there's an option to sideload if you click "Launch" in the bottom left corner.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Here's how (from scratch):

1) Download & install the Android SDK
2) Download & install the proper drivers
3) Download the OTA zip & rename it to "update"
4) Navigate to the "Platform-tools" folder within the SDK & put the update.zip file into it
5) While holding [SHIFT] right-click in an empty spot within the folder & select "Open command window here"
6) Plug in your device
7) Disable "media device"
8 ) Enable "USB debugging"
9) Within the command window, type "adb devices" (without quotations)
Your device should show up with "unauthorized" after it
10) On the device, give the PC the permission
11) Repeat Step 9
Hopefully your device should now appear without "unauthorized". If so, you're now ready to actually update
12) In the command window, type "adb reboot recovery" (without quotations)
This will reboot your device into "Recovery mode" & you'll likely see a little Android guy with a triangle & an explanation mark
13) On the device, hold [POWER] & tap [VOLUME UP]
14) Still on the device, use [VOLUME DOWN] navigating to "apply update via ADB" & select it by taping [POWER]
Your device will now be ready for you to send the update

That's it, your phone will apply the update just like it would have had you waited for the OTA update.

Keep in mind if you're ROOT'ed you'll loose ROOT.
This method is how I update my Nexus devices using the stock recovery, stock kernel, stock everything - updating using custom stuff will vary.
If you're ROOT'ed, the update will likely fail if you've installed anything to the System folder such as BusyBox or Xposed Framework. To get passed that, you'll need to open those Apps & within the Apps themselves, uninstall the data they've installed to the System. Both BusyBox & Xposed have built-in uninstallers for this.

Hope that helps.

You forgot 0) Tell yourself to **** off before going through a 17 step process.

All jokes aside, your help is awesome. I just don't have the patience for all that when its a .0.1 update.

Posted via Android Central App

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I followed similar instructions and got it to work. I had never done this before. Wife was busy doing some crap, so I had time to kill. Had some hiccups, but got it to work.
vu2y3enu.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
You forgot 0) Tell yourself to **** off before going through a 17 step process.

It's a worthwhile update & the whole thing (other than installing the SDK & drivers) takes less than 10mins...
Then an additional 5mins to regain ROOT access (10mins to prepare the phone to lose ROOT access prior to the update).

I'm glad I spent the 25mins to do it, anyway. If I had waited for the OTA to arrive it would have still taken me 15mins (10mins prep to lose ROOT & 5mins to regain ROOT) total so the addition of 10mins to not need to wait was worth it to me...but I do it for every update no matter how minor so I'm use to the procedure - I can pretty much do it with my eyes closed, LoL.