I have become OCD about battery life :)

thetonyclifton

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I recently switched to Android from iOS and towards the end of my iOS usage the battery was draining pretty quickly so this obsession started before my switch...however given the Nexus 5 battery was highlighted in many reviews as a weakness the OCD gathered pace...but actually as I use the phone and switch off the unnecessary or over the top sync options, brightness settings etc and the battery gets accustomed to being charged, the battery life seems not bad at all...but that doesn't seem to have stopped me trying to eek more life out of the battery for the things I want it to do :)

I am finding every way possible to shave unnecessary process and apps off my phone, basically I use my phone for the very odd phone call, SMS, social media, youtube and browsing and listening to music. I have cut out all the rest to keep my phone clean, quick and the battery un-drained...although it is getting OCD...I just deleted facebook, I dont use it very often, it seems to constantly be running in the background and I figured for my use a shortcut and a stored password in chrome would do the job.

Anyone got any battery saving tips, or are as OCD about this as me?

EDIT: Apologies wrong forum, could a Mod move this for me please?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
i suffer no hardships doing this -

Battery Tips for Android

1. Toggle off GPS, BT, NFC, Hotspot/Tethering. Toggle on only as needed. (Switch to "Battery Saving" Mode).
2. Display Brightness - Turn off Auto Brightness and Reduce Setting Bar to Minimum Acceptable to you.
3. Sign out of any unused Google Services like G+, Google Now, etc.
4. Disable Location Reporting/History.
5. Beware of constantly syncing in background Apps and Bloatware like Facebook, Twitter, Google News and Weather, Google Currents, Non-Push Email, etc. Set Sync interval for every 1 hour or more and change settings to stop the syncing of data you don't need. Delete the Apps you never use.
6. Turn Off Hot Word "Hotword Detection" Always Listening Mode in Google Search if you don't use it.
7. Turn Off Auto Camera/Photo Upload or at least set it for Upload on WIFI Only.
8. Turn Off Vibrate on Touch for Display, Keyboard, etc.
9. Turn Off Touch Sounds and Unlock Sounds.
10. Don't use Live Wallpaper. Use a dark wallpaper if possible.
11. Set Display Sleep Setting to 2 Minutes or Less.
12. Set WIFI to Always stay on during Sleep if you regularly use WIFI.
13. Uncheck "Always Scanning" in WIFI settings.
14. Turn Off Always Vibrate in Gmail/Email.
15. Be careful of using too many Live Widgets and what/how often they sync.
16. Set MS Exchange Sync at 30 Days or Less.
17. Do NOT use a Task Killer App or Battery Saver App.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-5/331785-battery-life.html#post3221342

Oofa

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Quit using your device. Turn it off and keep it off until you absolutely must use it to check the time or change wallpaper to pure black only. Even then, do it quickly! The best way to save battery is to not use battery at all.......;)

Seriously now........ your Nexus is full of great features. Use any and all of them and charge often. Enjoy that Nexus and go OCD on finding the best case or something.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
my point was - use what you use. and turn off what you don't. why "pay" for a feature in terms of battery life and resources that you're not using anyway? hence - there is no hardship and there is no sacrifice.

Ice_Cold_Q

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Quit using your device. Turn it off and keep it off until you absolutely must use it to check the time or change wallpaper to pure black only. Even then, do it quickly! The best way to save battery is to not use battery at all.......;)

Seriously now........ your Nexus is full of great features. Use any and all of them and charge often. Enjoy that Nexus and go OCD on finding the best case or something.

hahah this is what i do, i just bought ?30 case and already got 2 with me and another one on its way... :D

TETDED Premium Leather Case for Google Nexus 5 LTE /LG Nexus 5 D820 D821 -- Dijon III (LC: Black) - TETDED LIMITED

thetonyclifton

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Yes that was my point, the nexus is great and I want to use it alot so I want to be able to do all the things I want to all day, every day - therefore I want to cut out the things the phone is doing in the background that I don't need or want it to exactly so I can enjoy using my phone.

dylan808

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
i realized i was getting carried away with worrying about my battery lasting as long as possible. when in reality, with my usage, it can last me all day.

i still rooted and got a custom kernel installed but i'm trying not to be as worrysome and just enjoy the phone, and if need be i'll keep a charger with me.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Get one of these and put it where you are part of the day and you won't have any OCD about your Nexus 5 battery. I don't even plug in my Qi charger into the AC but twice a week and just recharge my Nexus 5 off the 6000mAh battery in the Lugulake Qi charger. Just put your N5 on the Qi pad for 20 minutes during the day when the battery starts to drop and you are good to go even with heavy use till you get home. The Lugulake Qi charger is cheapest on Amazon.