I can't connect my Nexus 5 to my home WiFi, should I return it?

Daden04

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Morning folks,

First and foremost I'm a new Android user coming from the iPhone and I absolutely love everything about it. My one problem isn't Android; however, it's been this N5 wifi connection issue. I cannot connect to my home wifi whatsoever.

I do have unlimited data with my plan but still, the use of WiFi is obviously important. Has Google stated they are working on a fix for this?

I'm at the point of possibly returning my N5 for a different phone as much as I love everything else with this phone.

Anywho, apologies for the early morning rant. Being new to Android I'm still playing catch up and learning about the system itself so I thought I'd ask the community on this issue and its potential (hopeful?) fix.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Daden04

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Do I Return It?

Took it into Sprint last night and it connected just fine there. Its only on my home network. Additionally, all other devices in the house connect just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Daden04

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site

Yup, I've tried it all. Is this an issue Google has addressed yet? I feel like I'm not the only one experiencing these issues.

StealthTH

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site

Connecting to WiFi isn't exactly a known problem. Not sure what Google can address.

That being said what kind of security are you using on your router? WPA, wpa2, hex key? None maybe? It could be possible if you have an old router that there could be incompatibilities but hard to say. Also post which router you are using.

Daden04

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site

At work now so I can't give the exact model off the top of my head but I do know its a Linksys router. Security is set as WPA/WPA2 PSK. Router isn't THAT old, maybe 3 years tops.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

I'm not an expert but I would think it has to be something with your router. I have no issues connecting anywhere nor have I heard of any widespread problems. When you get home get your router model number and Google it with Nexus 5 to see if anyone else has had the same issue.

Ftspyder

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site

i havent had any problem with my Nexus 5 connecting to my at home wireless network, or any other wireless network for that matter

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

If you have a MAC address access list set up on the router, make sure to add the MAC address of the Nexus 5 to the list.

Daden04

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site

@ccr, I'll look into that. Not sure exactly.

Appreciate all the help though. I'm really hoping its just the router that requires some tinkering with.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

Try a factory reset. I've had my N5 for a couple months, and there was an app that I added which I suspect broke my system. I did a factory reset, and the problem went away.

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site

It is a Google WiFi problem addressed in numerous forums. Do Google search on Nexus 5 Wifi problems and you will see you are not alone. Do not reset your device because that is worthless. What I do is turn off WiFi when it is goofy and turn it back on and let it reconnect. That addresses the issue until next time when I do a repeat. Though Google hasn't acknowledged the problem, many of us hope they address it... Or it will be a legit reason to jump ship to that other operating system. Good luck!

p g p

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

Backup you router's configuration (if possible) and reset it to factory settings: maybe there's something wrong with some settings.
Also, check if both 2.4 and 5GHz are enabled in your N5's advanced WiFi settings ;)

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

Daden04

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site

It is a Google WiFi problem addressed in numerous forums. Do Google search on Nexus 5 Wifi problems and you will see you are not alone. Do not reset your device because that is worthless. What I do is turn off WiFi when it is goofy and turn it back on and let it reconnect. That addresses the issue until next time when I do a repeat. Though Google hasn't acknowledged the problem, many of us hope they address it... Or it will be a legit reason to jump ship to that other operating system. Good luck!

I knew I wasn't crazy, it's been talked about on these forums as well. Unfortunately doing all the small tricks (turning phone on and off, WiFi on and off, airplane mode) doesn't work for me.

Daden04

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5: Do I Return It?

Returning to post my model number. Perhaps people know more about these things than me, as I didn't find much googling it and nexus 5.

Linksys by Cisco wireless N broadband router:
Model WRT160N V3

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site

Connecting to WiFi isn't exactly a known problem. Not sure what Google can address.

That being said what kind of security are you using on your router? WPA, wpa2, hex key? None maybe? It could be possible if you have an old router that there could be incompatibilities but hard to say. Also post which router you are using.

Actually it's a well documented problem here and on XDA plus Google's Product Forums.

Yup, I've tried it all. Is this an issue Google has addressed yet? I feel like I'm not the only one experiencing these issues.

Google hasn't addressed the issue yet but they haven't addressed any of the big issues yet. I would bet they will be releasing a major fix for all of the different problems as soon as they have a fix for them. Though you should try to update your router's firmware. See if that fixes it. Seems to work for some people. Also go into Settings > WiFi > Option Button (Bottom Right) > Advanced. Uncheck "Avoid Poor Connections" and "WiFi Optimization". Then change the frequency band to 2.4GHz or 5.0GHz depending on what your router is on. If you don't know you can use trial and error. This also seems to fix for some.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth, I couldn't get two Nexus 5's onto either of two networks that were configured for a channel width of 40MHz. Only after setting the router for automatic channel widths could I get them to join successfully, though there may be a way to enable 40MHz channels depending on the specific channels used.

Daden04

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Changed my settings to the proper GHz option and unchecked everything else recommended above and still no beueno. Think I'll play with the router a bit more today but otherwise I'm all out of options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emii