Nexus 5 Home Screen

Reploid

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys! I just switched from a Galaxy Nexus to a Nexus 5 and was wondering if there's a way to set what home screen I access when I press the home button? It keeps shooting me to my left-most screen while on my Galaxy Nexus it was in the middle of my 5 screens and I'd like to re-enable that if possible. If I can't I'll just try and get used to it. Thanks!

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
You cannot. KitKat changed all that. You have one home screen until you fill it up. Then, KitKat adds a new one to the right until you fill that up... and so on... and so on.... no limits that I am aware of. So, the solution is to put all the shortcuts that you want to always see on the first screen.

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
You can rearrange the sequence of your home screens.
Long press in an empty area of one screen.
The display will change to small images of the home screens.
Press & drag to rearrange the order of the screens.

mpdofficer514

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
You can rearrange the pages of the UI, not the home screen, of which there is only one. The OP just wanted to know if he could change the default page(home screen) the phone went to when pushing the home button. In Kit Kat it wall always be the furthest left page, excluding Google now. Just set the left page up the same way you would have setup the center page on a touchwiz device.

Posted via Android Central App

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I just switched from a Galaxy Nexus to a Nexus 5 and was wondering if there's a way to set what home screen I access when I press the home button? It keeps shooting me to my left-most screen while on my Galaxy Nexus it was in the middle of my 5 screens and I'd like to re-enable that if possible. If I can't I'll just try and get used to it.
Mine doesn't do that? If I am on home screen 2 and press an app then pressing home takes me back to home screen 2. It takes a second press to go back to home screen 0. Is your phone updated?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine doesn't do that? If I am on home screen 2 and press an app then pressing home takes me back to home screen 2. It takes a second press to go back to home screen 0. Is your phone updated?
Yes, but that only works if that was the home screen you came from. I believe the original poster wants to change the default so that he always goes straight to a specific screen.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but that only works if that was the home screen you came from. I believe the original poster wants to change the default so that he always goes straight to a specific screen.
You can place any apps or widgets on the default home screen however you like, so that request would not make sense.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You cannot. KitKat changed all that. You have one home screen until you fill it up. Then, KitKat adds a new one to the right until you fill that up... and so on... and so on.....

Not exactly. You don't need to fill a screen before adding another. Just drag an icon from any home screen to the right edge of the screen and hold until a blank page appears.

In practice, you can create a hundred pages with only one icon each.

bloodkitty

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
You can place any apps or widgets on the default home screen however you like, so that request would not make sense.
Well, in my case, I want to have my home screen to include only the specific apps I use most frequently. I'd like to put a page of organized, foldered apps to the screen to the left of my home screen. To the right of my home screen, I want to set up pages that are dedicated media pages, one for music with quick access to my play music page, and another page to the right of it to be my dedicated video page, etc...

Google Now (-2), Foldered apps (-1), Home screen (0), Music screen (+1), Video screen (+2)

When I hit the home button, I want to go to the Home screen which is in the middle.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
bloodkitty said:
When I hit the home button, I want to go to the Home screen which is in the middle.
Well what you are really asking for is the ability to swipe both left and right from the main home screen which is something else. That is how Android used to be. Unfortunately Google decided to change Android from 4.4 so that you can only swipe right to other home screens, swiping left brings up Google now. I don't like it either because Google Now was, and still is, available more quickly from a vertical swipe on any home screen so the change doesn't make sense to me.

bloodkitty

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Bullet, it's disappointing to hear, but maybe they'll revert it - although it was probably a big initiative to have more easy entry points to Google Now.

wantabe

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Well what you are really asking for is the ability to swipe both left and right from the main home screen which is something else. That is how Android used to be. Unfortunately Google decided to change Android from 4.4 so that you can only swipe right to other home screens, swiping left brings up Google now. I don't like it either because Google Now was, and still is, available more quickly from a vertical swipe on any home screen so the change doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks Bullet, it's disappointing to hear, but maybe they'll revert it - although it was probably a big initiative to have more easy entry points to Google Now.
Just wanted to say that the launcher on the N5 was the first thing I had to kick to the curb. For one I like my wallpaper too much to only see a small part of it. And "only" being able to access Google Now from a swipe up from the bottom of the screen is something I can definitely live with. I've been using Nova Launcher Prime from day one and I seriously doubt if google ever reverts the launcher back to the way it was before 4.4+. Also Nova Launcher works without having to have root but my N5 is rooted, running stock 4.4.2 with Xposed modules. Here's some screenshots.

Screenshot_2014-02-07-23-02-24.jpg Screenshot_2014-02-07-23-02-33.jpg Screenshot_2014-02-07-23-02-44.jpg

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
... For one I like my wallpaper too much to only see a small part of it. ...

I an going to say again, with the stock launcher you do not need to fill the home screen (or any other) before adding a new screen.

Drop an icon on any available empty spot. Now press and hold that icon and drag it off the right edge of the screen. Keep dragging it until a new empty screen appears and drop it there. Voil?.

You can easily create dozens of screens with just a few icons each if that is what you want.

wantabe

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I an going to say again, with the stock launcher you do not need to fill the home screen (or any other) before adding a new screen.
Drop an icon on any available empty spot. Now press and hold that icon and drag it off the right edge of the screen. Keep dragging it until a new empty screen appears and drop it there. Voil?.
You can easily create dozens of screens with just a few icons each if that is what you want.

Perfectly aware of that! You're missing the point! I don't want to have one icon on any screen just to have more than one home screen. I want, like and insist that my Main home screen be in the middle of All my home screens AND in the middle of my wallpaper like it's been for years before kitkat came out! And... I also want 5 home screens or more, even if some might be Empty! Far left screen shows North and South America and the far right screen shows eastern Europe and Asia with the main home screen centered over the Atlantic. For years I've had the ability to do exactly that and I still do, regardless of what google thought I would or should like now!

Screenshot_2014-02-08-22-52-02.jpg

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
The truth of the matter is if you're on a Nexus 5 you're using the Google Now launcher by default.

The Google Now launcher doesn't provide any options to have a screen between the default home screen (leftmost) and Google now.

As others in this thread have mentioned the only way to replicate this functionality on a nexus 5 is to use a custom launcher as I've already stated the Google now launcher is incapable of this.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87