Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROM's, and why?

wpbfjr

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
because i just don't care about root.... i 1,000% admire the skills and dedication of those that build stable rom's...i would think the best rom's to be solid resumes for their developers...

Sent from my TRS-80 using Tapatalk

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not. I used to when I first started with android (back in the froyo days and on a non-nexus device). But now I prefer to only go that route after Google stops issuing otas for my phone.

My Nexus 5 has worked great as stock. Sure there are a few mods I might consider but right now I'm just happy not having to plan out factory resets and reviewing forums on XDA that are frankly really hostile to newcomers.

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
This is exactly what I was doing. But I had to do a factory reset last week and I guess it messed up the root because I can't use xposed installer or any other root only apps...

lucky87ad

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I was stock for months but eventually rooted just so I could install a different kernel for better battery life. The only things I wanted was a little better battery life and the ability to change my icons. And I don't mean just on my home screen. So I'm on stock ROM with purified kernel and unicon. You don't have to check XDA and update every other day if you don't want to. I flash the update kernel twice a month and just let it fly.

Posted via Android Central App

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm not seeing a reason to root or ROM my Nexus at all. Everything seems to work great out of the box.

Its easily the best Android experience I've had so far.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm just happy not having to plan out factory resets and reviewing forums on XDA that are frankly really hostile to newcomers.

Lol, no doubt SOME devs there are arrogant douches that set the tone that others feed off. The worst of Internet tough guys likely dishing out comeuppance after years of growing up with teasing, wedgies, getting picked last to play ball, not being able to get girls, getting busted nose-picking, and being forced to do homework for jocks & bullies.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not rooted and therefore I do not run any custom ROMs. I've never been much for rooting, and admittedly i've never actually done it. I'm sure if I did, I would be hooked and i'd want to continue. I have read too many posts of people complaining about problems that arise from rooting. I know that you should only root if you've done good research and are very comfortable with each step, and I am not so therefore I wont do it. I don't need to bring any problems onto this device as it's worked flawlessly for me in the 6 months i've owned it. Not to mention it still has a newness factor that negates any huge benefit to messing with any custom ROMs.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: Who is NOT rooting and NOT using custom ROMs, and why?

Just curious as to why you are NOT doing either.

The people at Google spent a lot of time and effort on the Nexus 5, so I figure I should at least try out what they provided. So far I've enjoyed the experience.

anon(823957)

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

I rooted and ran custom roms on my Galaxy S3 but there was always some sort of bug with whatever I loaded. Reboots and battery pulls were the norm for me, until one day, I loaded up software (from the correct forum for my Canadian device) that had an AT&T only file, completely hard bricked my phone. Right then and there, I decided to just pull the trigger and get a Nexus device - what I wanted my GS3 to behave like all along.

Completely cured me of the modding bug, haven't even considered rooting my N5.

Curtis Newell

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site

I've rooted and installed custom ROMS and returned to complete stock all in the space of three days.
Some things were handy, like the notification bar but with kernels just as franco I didn't see much of an increase in battery etc. For me, I was mostly worried about ruining the phone (I thought I was quite a technical person however this seems to be limited to combustion engines) too many factors for me to mess up - just how I felt.
I'm gonna be buying another cheap android phone, maybes even a "bricked" nexus 5 (see them every so often on eBay) so I can have a play about coz it genuinely does interest me in what can be achieved. Nexus 5 is cool as it is, can get some cool updates but for me it is perfectly fine stock.

zworld

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

Not Rooted/ROM'd. I'll mirror most of the earlier comments I've read in the thread--no need, works fine, etc. But, my main reason for not doing this is because technically, it takes much more time than I'm willing to put into it to learn all the nuances of managing the process. I *would* R/R it, I did it with my Nexus, and Nexus 4; however, these are the reasons I haven't done it again:

1. You have to read several threads, make many decisions about what tools to use, methods, etc.- none of which is necessarily easy to understand at first glance (like which kernel to choose) and requires as much prayer that you've not missed some small little detail that makes you have to restart the process or worse, screw up the phone, as it does a modicum of technical skill
2. I almost always do something wrong at least once and usually a few times, which is part of the learning process but turns an hour or two of tinkering into a day
3. I'm not always sure I've succeeded because after the entire process is finished, on occasion, I have still gotten messages that I'm not rooted and then the process doesn't work again even though I was able to access the boot loader
4. Rooting and flashing causes you to have to re-set up accounts; which, can take longer than if you use your phone for a primary communication tool at home and work (I have several personal and several work email accounts; I use HTML/Web access for many apps so the service doesn't touch my contacts)
5. Even if a backup service does give you back your settings, apps, wifi information, etc., it does not re set up all the app logins, which can be a pain (and adds to the time to get your phone working again)
6. While there might be some backup software out there that backs up your screen customization (how many screens, position of icons, apps in folders, folder names, etc.) I haven't found one--so all that has to be set up again
7. Same problem as with Carrier OSs - If G comes out with a needed / cool update to android, and I accept the OTA update to the OS, for me at least, I've been re-locked and re-stocked (I will accept the possibility it's just my lack of understanding why this happens--but it happened several times for me), which caused me to have to go through the Rooting process again
8. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Steps 1-6

So, no 7 is the biggest issue for me. OTA updates from G are great because you get the latest android features, and if you want them, you have to suffer through a lot of headaches to remain rooted. And, as I've said, it is very likely it's my ignorance and not fully understanding the process, which has caused my own pain. My N5 gives me a great experience without the hassle, and while I do see some benefits to rooting and playing with ROMs (and it can be fun), it's just too much trouble to maintain.

:) ~b

DocGo

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 5 is not rooted, am using stock ROM because my work email will not allow any rooted phones. I am happy with the stock ROM anyway. I just hope battery life can be better...maybe a 3rd party company can produce higher capacity battery of the same dimensions as the original and one can replace the battery via DIY method?

Sent from my Tapatalk app

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 5 is not rooted, am using stock ROM because my work email will not allow any rooted phones. I am happy with the stock ROM anyway. I just hope battery life can be better...maybe a 3rd party company can produce higher capacity battery of the same dimensions as the original and one can replace the battery via DIY method?

Sent from my Tapatalk app

Contrary to popular belief, the N5's battery is replaceable. You just need a pry tool and small screwdriver. I don't know if they make higher capacity batteries that will fit though.

anon(5857193)

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I haven't used a custom ROM in over a year now. I stick with stock but also root and use tools like Xposed. It's super fast, easy, and gives me all the features of custom ROMs while keeping the ability to get official OTA updates.

Dperks17

May 19, 2010
Visit site
ELXR v1.1 with elemental 0.38 kernel. Getting over a day battery and close to 5 and half hours of screen on time. Double that over stock.

Posted via Android Central App

calbrs04

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Rooted. Tried PA, liked notification peek since I came from moto x but it was very hit and miss. I went back to stock and only use viper4android and changed the DPI to 400.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty