4.4.3 IS here!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Android 4.4.3 ota

I'm getting an unexpected contents error for chrome.apk when trying to flash the update.zip. I'm guessing its because I uninstalled Chrome through Titanium Backup a while back. I tried to install it back as a system app (also through TB) but still getting the error.

1) Is there a way to just replace the chrome.apk or would I need to flash system.img?
2) What affect does flashing system.img have? Only replaces your system apps?
I would suggest flashing the system.img file, and yes, it will reflash the /system partition including everything that is stored on it including apps.

Do you have the 4.4.2 factory image? If so, then open that up and you'll see a folder within the system.img. Pull that out and place it within the platform-tools folder and run the command via fastboot:
Code:
fastboot flash system system.img

Be sure to cd into the platform-tools directory. It'll take a few minutes to upload to the device and flash, so be patient.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Your location has nothing to do with how the ota is released. It is staggered by imei number. Google then checks for any major bug reports, then rolls out the next wave, and so on and so forth.

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

Makes sense. I'm just hoping that they don't roll out the public updates in the same imei block order every time... First to receive one update no more deserves to be first to receive all updates any more than last to receive one deserves to be last for all!

Shouldn't be hard to guess where I fell in the last round, but I believe the point remains valid.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

Makes sense. I'm just hoping that they don't roll out the public updates in the same imei block order every time... First to receive one update no more deserves to be first to receive all updates any more than last to receive one deserves to be last for all!

Shouldn't be hard to guess where I fell in the last round, but I believe the point remains valid.
There's a lot more that goes on behind the scenes in making sure updates are pushed out to devices successfully. One main reason for controlled rollouts is that it gives Google (and the Carriers) the opportunity to see how the update is working. There's been times in the past where an update has been pulled due to problems. Rolling out updates is the only way they can monitor how the update is going.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

There's a lot more that goes on behind the scenes in making sure updates are pushed out to devices successfully. One main reason for controlled rollouts is that it gives Google (and the Carriers) the opportunity to see how the update is working. There's been times in the past where an update has been pulled due to problems. Rolling out updates is the only way they can monitor how the update is going.

Oh, I agree that it needs to be staggered, both from a control standpoint should an unforseen issue become evident and from a practicality standpoint on bandwidth demands. I just meant that if it gets sent one time to group A, then B, then C, then D, that the next time perhaps it might go D, C, B, A.

Iggymart

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

Just received mine and am wiping cache now, in stock recovery. I am on Arcturus.

Last edited:

mojo rising

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site

In the instructions for a regular install it says that the lastest version of adb is required. What is adb and where can it be downloaded?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

I just meant that if it gets sent one time to group A, then B, then C, then D, that the next time perhaps it might go D, C, B, A.
Ah, OK. I see what you mean. Would be nice to give everyone a shot to be first in line for a piece of that new Android goodness :).

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Just got it this morning after clearing Google framework services and then rebooting my N5.

The new dialer and contacts are AWESOME.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1401990716771.jpg
    1401990716771.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 27

meanieman

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and new to the nexus 7 2g tablet. Our company purchased 15 of these tablets with the intent of adding multiple users on them,. I see that there is a limit of 8 users on each tablet. My question is how can I setup a tablet with 8 users and then make an image of it that I can restore if the tablet gets messed up? I know that you can easily image and restore a pc. Is this possible to do with this tablet?

Thanks,
Richard

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and new to the nexus 7 2g tablet. Our company purchased 15 of these tablets with the intent of adding multiple users on them,. I see that there is a limit of 8 users on each tablet. My question is how can I setup a tablet with 8 users and then make an image of it that I can restore if the tablet gets messed up? I know that you can easily image and restore a pc. Is this possible to do with this tablet?

Thanks,
Richard

Wrong thread buddy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
:confused:

Agreed, your phone automatically checks for updates. It will let you know when it's available. People act like this update is the second coming of Christ. It only fixes small things that most people wouldn't notice anyway. Imagine the craziness when Android 4.5/5.0 is "due" to come out. People act like it will change their lives. Nope, you'll only be left wanting for the next update....... it never ends, instead of just enjoying your device.

The Check updates button is a placebo. If you click it more than once a day, it is not actually checking anything. It just changes the time after "last checked'.

It is all on autopilot, and there is no way to make it check more than once a day. In fact, I don't think you can initiate the check at all.