No lock screen keyboard

TandroyFoty

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I uninstalled my Swype keyboard and was in the process of reinstalling a new one when my phone screen shut off. Now, on the lock screen, no keyboard pops up when I try to enter my password, only the Google Voice red button, which doesn't actually record anything. It just stays statically in red 'waiting for results.' When I press the keyboard image next to the password input box, the 'Choose Input Method' option shows up, with no options to select from. I've tried clearing the cache as well, to no avail.

How can I get past this seemingly minor problem which has completely locked me out of my phone?

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
What if you tried going to Google Play on your computer, install the Google Keyboard from the web and then see if it pops up in your Choose Input menu??

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It's a problem...

Apparently you had previously disabled all other keyboards, so after uninstalling Swype you do not have an active keyboard to work with. Supposedly you should be able to use Google voice input to enter your pass code ("one two three four") but I have never tried that so don't know how it works.

r144

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
This is a bit of a stretch, but it worked for me (I still don't believe it!). You need to have already sync'd a bluetooth device with your Android phone, it will need to have some 'backdoor' from the 'lock screen' to 'voice dial', which lets you into the settings (in my case from the top of the screen).

1. I turned on my bluetooth and it connected.
2. I pressed and held the bluetooth button as if I were going to voice dial
3. As soon as it popped up the voice dial dialog, I pressed on the top of the screen and accessed the settings dialog (and I kept talking to the voice dial)
4. I clicked on the settings, clicked on the app manager, got to the apps list (and then it gave up on me, so I started over and talked faster) and eventually found my keyboard
5. I re-enabled my keyboard

In my case, I have a different, HTC android phone. This is quite a stretch - and a bit of a security vulnerability on the phone - but it is worth a try before you factory reset and start all over...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty