Android OS battery drain

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Anyone have an idea what is causing this? I literally have done nothing with my phone since removing it from the charger this morning. Its been idle.... I don't think I should have burned through 8% battery while on standby... I wiped the cache partition yesterday too.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You only have one bar of reception--maybe it has more to do with poor signal? Tap Cell Standby and see how much Time Without Signal there is? Or tap the graph, and look at the Mobile Signal graph--is there a lot of red or yellow?

surrealjam

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
You only have one bar of reception--maybe it has more to do with poor signal?

Although I generally agree, poor signal strength doesn't seem to affect battery so much when you have a good WiFi connection (which it appears the user does). At home, I only get 1 bar of mobile reception but standby is very similar as at work where I get full bars.

surrealjam

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

As crazy as it sounds, can you try to enable it? I had a very similar issue with Android OS and WiFi taking up large chunks of battery and enabling location reporting actually helped. I appreciate this is not how it should be but I presume there is a potential bug somewhere.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
You only have one bar of reception--maybe it has more to do with poor signal? Tap Cell Standby and see how much Time Without Signal there is? Or tap the graph, and look at the Mobile Signal graph--is there a lot of red or yellow?

Attachments

• 53711.jpg
    53711.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 47

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
As crazy as it sounds, can you try to enable it? I had a very similar issue with Android OS and WiFi taking up large chunks of battery and enabling location reporting actually helped. I appreciate this is not how it should be but I presume there is a potential bug somewhere.

Its worth a try at this point. Anything to improve standby time. I love the nexus and android but am coming from an iphone which has excellent standby time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Although I generally agree, poor signal strength doesn't seem to affect battery so much when you have a good WiFi connection (which it appears the user does). At home, I only get 1 bar of mobile reception but standby is very similar as at work where I get full bars.

That's interesting--I think it still impacts me. There are areas in the hospital where I work where signal is pretty abysmal, so if I'm hanging out there a lot, my battery usually takes a hit. Wi-fi is on, and the wi-fi signal is good as well--but the cell signal is lousy. I keep mobile data off while at work.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

27% Time Without Signal is pretty significant. That's almost an hour where the cell radio is working harder to find signal. And that 27% figure doesn't include weak signal--only no signal.

As an experiment, see what the battery drain from 100% is like over the same time period in an area of good reception.

surrealjam

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That's interesting--I think it still impacts me. There are areas in the hospital where I work where signal is pretty abysmal, so if I'm hanging out there a lot, my battery usually takes a hit. Wi-fi is on, and the wi-fi signal is good as well--but the cell signal is lousy. I keep mobile data off while at work.

I also think this is interesting :) It goes to show how two seemingly similar scenarios can be actually quite different... so many variables I suppose.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's for sure! In your situation, are you getting that much Time without Signal as well? The difference for you may be that although your signal is weak, it might also be consistent and without dropout. ianhanson85 might be having more signal dropout than you, which means more battery drain.

surrealjam

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
That's for sure! In your situation, are you getting that much Time without Signal as well? The difference for you may be that although your signal is weak, it might also be consistent and without dropout. ianhanson85 might be having more signal dropout than you, which means more battery drain.

Yes, it is consistently poor without drops so I take your point that time without signal is different.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
27% Time Without Signal is pretty significant. That's almost an hour where the cell radio is working harder to find signal. And that 27% figure doesn't include weak signal--only no signal.

As an experiment, see what the battery drain from 100% is like over the same time period in an area of good reception.

Is there a solution to this? I do need to be able to make and receive calls throughout the day. Thanks.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Could be an app causing your battery to drain. This HAPPENED in mine with my new Note 3 that I bought Sun. I had to delete a bunch and now my battery is doing just fine whereas YESTERDAY my battery drained in 5 HOURS.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Is there a solution to this? I do need to be able to make and receive calls throughout the day. Thanks.

I don't think there's much you can do about that. I spend most weekends and holidays in a place with a weak signal (not as bad as yours) and I see a difference in battery life.

Try to keep mobile data manually off and look for a "hot spot" where reception is better. :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Which wireless provider do you use? You could inquire about a cell signal booster, which might be free. I have T-Mobile, and they allow people on Simple Choice plans to have one free.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Their signal booster is the Airave, and I think it's free for you to use. You probably have to put a deposit down. Call Sprint and ask them.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress