Gmail 5.0 problems

mikecosmo

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I got the update from the play store this morning and I have a couple of questions:

1. I added my work email as an IMAP account but there is no push support. I can only sync the account at intervals (ex. Every 5minutes). I have set up this account using the CloudMagic app and it supported push no problem. Is this normal? Will support for IMAP push be supported later?

2. I cannot add an exchange account. My only options are gmail or IMAP/pop3. How can I fix this?

Posted via Android Central App

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I got the update from the play store this morning and I have a couple of questions:

1. I added my work email as an IMAP account but there is no push support. I can only sync the account at intervals (ex. Every 5minutes). I have set up this account using the CloudMagic app and it supported push no problem. Is this normal? Will support for IMAP push be supported later?

2. I cannot add an exchange account. My only options are gmail or IMAP/pop3. How can I fix this?

stick with Email App for non-Gmail for now until next updates.

mikecosmo

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
For exchange support, you will need an additional apk. Go to Gmail 5.0 With Exchange Support And Material Design Has Landed [APK Download] and look for the second apk download link (Direct link Exchange Services 6.5-1520254 APK Download - APKMirror)

You will need to install this, and then, restart your phone. Then, you can add exchange accounts

Thanks for the links. I like to just wait for updates from the play store. Will downloading this apk affect future Gmail app updates from the play store?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, it does not impact future app updates. It is the same app that you'd download from the play store.
Having said this, I must point out that it is not google play store, and while I trust AndroidPolice website, I can see why some folks may not agree. So, use at your own discretion :)

Though Gmail 5.0 is now available on the play store, I don't see the exchange support application yet. Not sure why they haven't provided that.

brodieb

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
I added the Gmail 5.0 and Exchange APK and both work very well. I have never had an negative effects from outside APKs.

mikecosmo

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I installed the exchange apk. Everything works good so far.

Although, I'm still curious about the IMAP push support. Anyone know if this will be updated later on after lollipop is released?

mclasser

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I played around with Gmail 5.0 and wasn't really impressed. In particular, the way it handles Exchange emails leaves a lot to be desired.

Went back to CloudMagic and Blue Mail on my devices and couldn't be happier.

Posted from my Nexus 5

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I played around with Gmail 5.0 and wasn't really impressed. In particular, the way it handles Exchange emails leaves a lot to be desired.

Went back to CloudMagic and Blue Mail on my devices and couldn't be happier.

Posted from my Nexus 5
At least it's a start :). What are some things those apps do that you wish Gmail did?

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Let's see...how about:

1.) Delayed and slow push when compared to other push apps like Nine and my computer. Pathetic this isn't fixed.
2.) Putting "Settings" BELOW my 100+ folders on the left. Utter stupidity.
3.) No HTML email drafting. Is this 2009? Pathetic.
4.) No HTML signatures. Again, pathetic.
5.) No Out of Office control. Un-*******-believable.
6.) Number next to the Trash folder always there, always saying 99+, even though all marked as read. Complete idiocy.
7.) No mark as read from clicking notification tray. Cool feature I miss.
8.) No Favorites for folders. Un-******* believale.
9.) No Conversation Mode option (in Exchange - for those that are stupid and want this). Not that I care because I'm not insane.
10.) No automatic mark as read for deleted emails. Thoughtless.
11.) No universal Inbox. Really? Zero effort or planning.

That's 11 right off the top of my head. Every single one of these is addressed in Nine Email app.

For Exchange, the new Gmail app is an absolute piece of ****. The same piece of **** the "Email" app was, with absolutely zero improvements. And utter failure and disappointment.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
That was helpful. Just one more question - which Android app are you comparing the Gmail 5 app to that has most (if not all) of these 11 features?

DanielEND

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Hey, I kind of have a problem with this new G-mail application, I just format my Nexus 5 and now when i'm trying to log in my yahoo acc into the application but it's saying that the password or email address is wrong, but is not. any suggestion?