If I am rooted and have custom Kernel can I still receive the OTA update to Lollipop? If not...

thenjboss

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
what are my next steps?

i still haven't upgraded to 4.4.3 and still get the notification to do so even though i have root and the Franco kernel

what will the easiest way for me to get Lollipop be? sideload? revert back to stock and await OTA? do nothing and hope I get OTA even though I have custom kernel?

i know i can search but there are 1000s of topics and not all fit my situation to a T.

thanks!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
what are my next steps?

i still haven't upgraded to 4.4.3 and still get the notification to do so even though i have root and the Franco kernel

what will the easiest way for me to get Lollipop be? sideload? revert back to stock and await OTA? do nothing and hope I get OTA even though I have custom kernel?

i know i can search but there are 1000s of topics and not all fit my situation to a T.

thanks!
The kernel will prevent you from successfully updating to Lollipop. The best bet is to flash the stock kernel (restore if you made a backup) or just flash the factory image. If you go the flashing stock image route, make sure you backup everything you can and transfer to a computer or upload online. The flash will erase the entire device, including the SD card.

Edit: The easiest way may be to just flash a Lollipop ROM, if that's something you are open to doing. Simply flash through recovery as you would any other ROM.

thenjboss

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
thanks so much for the response. i don't know if i want to flash a ROM as it is so new and i'd like to try it out bone stock.

maybe best bet is just to restore? i am sure i made a backup, at least i think i did. where can i find that typically?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
thanks so much for the response. i don't know if i want to flash a ROM as it is so new and i'd like to try it out bone stock.

maybe best bet is just to restore? i am sure i made a backup, at least i think i did. where can i find that typically?
Look in the SD card folder labeled ClockworkMod or TWRP. There should be a subfolder in there labeled backup. Just know that that will only restore the ROM as a whole, not individual components. You'll need to use separate apps, such as titanium backup, helium, etc. to restore texts, call logs, apps, etc. Make sure to move all those backup folders/files to a computer then transfer back to your device once Lollipop is up and running.

thenjboss

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Look in the SD card folder labeled ClockworkMod or TWRP. There should be a subfolder in there labeled backup. Just know that that will only restore the ROM as a whole, not individual components. You'll need to use separate apps, such as titanium backup, helium, etc. to restore texts, call logs, apps, etc. Make sure to move all those backup folders/files to a computer then transfer back to your device once Lollipop is up and running.

found the backup in TWRP but there are a ton of files in there.

also, can i make a jump from 4.4.2 straight to 5?

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
If you rooted then you have the skills to just flash the factory image. I flashed the factory image within minutes of it's release, it's working fine. All you have to do is download the image, gunzip and untar it, copy fastboot into the directory and execute the flash-all script. The untarred directory contains,
bootloader-hammerhead-hhz12d.img
fastboot
flash-all.bat
flash-all.sh
flash-base.sh
image-hammerhead-lrx21o.zip
radio-hammerhead-m8974a-2.0.50.2.21.img

You get fastboot from the developer tools. If you rooted your phone you must already have a copy of fastboot on your system, if you don't have it just download the developer tools along with the factory image.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
Android SDK | Android Developers

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
found the backup in TWRP but there are a ton of files in there.

also, can i make a jump from 4.4.2 straight to 5?
Make a backup of everything else using apps from the Play Store, and trasnfer files from the SD card to a computer.

As suggested above, flashing the 5.0 update is pretty straight forward. Take a look at this guide: How to manually update your Nexus | Android Central

And yes, you can jump from 4.4.2 to 5 if you flash the stock images.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member