NEXUS 5 X-Mass Gift still on v4.4.4

An-Droid-M

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok so bought my son a new NEXUS 5 for X-mas to replace his NEXUS 4 which did not have 4G LTE. He loves the new phone but is annoyed that its still on v4.4.4 and not 5.01. His old NEXUS 4 had updated to lollypop and he loved the new version. We bought the phone back in Oct and it stayed in it's box until X-mass day when he opened it. I'm assuming because it was not activated there will be a delay before OTA update. I know we can probably side-load the update but I would rather wait for the OTA, but I'm getting concerned that we missed some sort of window to do that. Any advice from the great and all knowing Android community??? ;)

BTW if this has been asked already I apologize. I did search around and did not see a thread but I could have easily missed it.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I am in the same boat have my n5 that I bought back at the end of October and I just finally started using it 2 or 3 weeks ago and I am still on kit Kat 4.4.4. I suspect we will get the update eventually.

Inigo90

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm in a similar situation - I accidentally dropped my Nexus 5 in the sink last week and fried it. I got a replacement unit which ran 4.4.3 out of the box. It immediately jumped to 4.4.4 but refuses to update any further. The old one was already on 5.0.1 and got 5.0 weeks ago. Could the 5.0 rollout still be in progress even though 5.0.1 has started?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm in a similar situation - I accidentally dropped my Nexus 5 in the sink last week and fried it. I got a replacement unit which ran 4.4.3 out of the box. It immediately jumped to 4.4.4 but refuses to update any further. The old one was already on 5.0.1 and got 5.0 weeks ago. Could the 5.0 rollout still be in progress even though 5.0.1 has started?

I think they temporarily pulled the lollipop rollout.

daerragh

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey, what don't you update the phone manually by installing 5.0.1 via fastboot. To get the rom search google for "nexus factory images", you would also need fastboot and usb drivers for your nexus to flash the ROM. There are good guides about doing the procedure on the net. They can be easily found and the procedure intself shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes. I can't post links yet so you need to find a guide yourself ;) search for "how to flash stock rom on nexus 5".

Last edited:

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey, what don't you update the phone manually by installing 5.0.1 via fastboot. To get the rom search google for "nexus factory images", you would also need fastboot and usb drivers for your nexus to flash the ROM. There are good guides about doing the procedure on the net. They can be easily found and the procedure intself shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes. I can't post links yet so you need to find a guide yourself ;) search for "how to flash stock rom on nexus 5".

As for me, I don't want the lollipop update (yet)

kellynj

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Also in the same boat. I was seeing so many problems with the Lollipop update that I wasn't in a hurry to do it, then one day the notification disappeared. Now when I check for updates, my phone says it's up to date.

The Google update today just turned my damn Google Now bar and backround app pages blinding white. Anyone know of any way to turn them back to translucent? If this is what Lollipop is bringing I'm still in no hurry to update.

Iggy82

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree with Brosko in that I think the rollout has been pulled, and judging by the amount of threads on the Nexus support forums with exactly this problem, I think it's becoming more credible.

Here's a copy of the message I posted there which is also relevant to this thread:

Also got a replacement unit and also stuck on 4.4.4, my suspicions are that they have pulled the roll-out whilst they fix some major bugs which they'll then bring out in 5.0.2 or some other new version number.

There is a critical bug known in 5.0.1 for example which causes a memory leak and is hard to notice for a few weeks then you'll find the phone laggy, especially when it renders the home screen after being on another window.

Furthermore, lots of people have reported data connectivity issues. This is why I returned my original Nexus on 5.0.1; my network operator confirmed the network was fine so it must be the phone. I intermittently would loose data but voice and SMS was fine. Lots of other Nexus 5 owners have reported this too, and in fact Google may have already tried to repair this in 5.0.1 as it included changes to the radio image.

I'm happy to stay with 4.4.4 for now as its rock solid stable and feels so much snappier in comparison to my old Nexus 5 after a few weeks using Lollipop.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what's going on but I'm quite happy with my Nexus 5 and Android 5. I got it shortly after the rollout and installed it with a factory reset and have had no problems. I'm amazed at people who actually see problems but they haven't gotten Android 5 on their device.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Also in the same boat. I was seeing so many problems with the Lollipop update that I wasn't in a hurry to do it, then one day the notification disappeared. Now when I check for updates, my phone says it's up to date.

The Google update today just turned my damn Google Now bar and backround app pages blinding white. Anyone know of any way to turn them back to translucent? If this is what Lollipop is bringing I'm still in no hurry to update.

What update was this? Through the play store to google app or one of those automatic background updates to play services?

LeSaint

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I got a Nexus 5 two weeks ago. I was a bit disappointed to see the update to 4.4.4 but not to lollipop. Since I couldn't wait, I sideloaded the ota file the day after.

jaleelhamid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
its because google pulled the software update because of all the bugs and chaoses it was causing on phones and before even more devices got updated with problems they removed the update until they release a software update which takes care of most of the bugs. you wont see the update until google thinks that they have a update which is ready to be released. you can always manually update it which is a complicated process you can always youtube or google. just be patient. all nexus devices will be getting the OTA update before other devices.

jaleelhamid

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what's going on but I'm quite happy with my Nexus 5 and Android 5. I got it shortly after the rollout and installed it with a factory reset and have had no problems. I'm amazed at people who actually see problems but they haven't gotten Android 5 on their device.

i agree with you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress