Nexu5 5 restarts and restarts and restarts

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Is is time to buy an iPhone? I am so frustrated. My Nexus 5 keeps restarting and restarting. If I am patient it eventually starts but it takes 15 minutes or more of the restarting process. Of course, the cellphone is completely useless if I can't start it.

Second problem. If I can get it started,the Nexus 5 refuses to connect to my wifi at my house. It takes forever to scan for wifi locations. When it finally finds me it asks for the password. I click connect. It doesn't connect. I repeat the procedure but then it simply goes through the interminable restarting procedure.

Third problem. Battery lasts only a few hours. I can live with that by carrying extra storage.

Is there a solution? Especially to the restarting? Because I obviously can't used the Nexus 5 if it won't start.

Is my best solution to buy an iPhone?
Just so frustrated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
First, try wiping the cache partition: http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-5-rooting-roms-hacks/352008-guide-nexus-5-recovery.html. If that doesn't help, see if the problem persists in Safe Mode: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2852139?hl=en

If problems persist in Safe Mode, the firmware might be corrupt. You could try reinstalling the firmware manually: How to manually update your Nexus or Pixel | Android Central

Your phone is almost 4 years old, and the Nexus 5's battery was never very good to begin with, so it's not surprising that it only lasts a few hours by now.

In my opinion, if the above suggestions don't work, your best solution is to get a new phone, period. This isn't an Android vs iPhone issue. A 4 year old iPhone may also develop problems, and its battery will certainly not last as long after that duration of usage, either. The choice of platform is completely up to you.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. With some difficulty I got the phone to shut down. Then I cleared the cache partition as you suggested. I was starting to worry when it didn't finish for a half hour but eventually it allowed me to reboot. On rebooting the phone seemed to work. I took a deep breath and crossed my fingers. So far it hasn't rebooted itself.

It does not connect to wifi but I'm not going to fuss with that as long as the phone works. I'll just use LTE. And I can live with the poor battery.

You are right, I should look into a new phone. It's so hard to pick one. The Nexus 5 is the first smart phone I have owned so I have little experience in picking a phone. I sure wish the Pixel were cheaper.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hope the reboots don't come back! Sorry, I had forgotten to mention that the cache wipe on a Nexus 5 usually takes a lot longer than on other phones -- typically about 10 minutes for me.

Regarding the wi-fi issue -- does it connect to other wi-fi networks successfully? If so, try rebooting your router by unplugging its power for 10 seconds. If that doesn't help, review this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html

If you're looking for a phone that has a relatively basic Android interface and that isn't too expensive, Moto is worth looking at (like the G5 Plus, Z Play, or Z Force).

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The reboots came back. Once at an unfortunate time. I was attempting to board Amtrak and wanted to show my e-ticket on my cellphone. At that point it restarted and restarted. The conductor was growing impatient, of course. Fortunately, I had a paper copy I could find in my bag.

Each reboot takes longer and longer. Boy, am I tired of those swirling circles. I tried safe mode, but on attempting to get wifi it rebooted. And I do have trouble getting wifi anywhere.

I noticed that while rebooting the phone gets quite warm. That would be a battery problem? Before I throw the phone away should I try a new battery. I can buy one online, ship the phone to my son who is clever with electronics and have him install it. Is that a good idea? Or is it not likely to fix the problem?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
After the random reboots, once it gets started again, is the battery almost depleted? If so, then the battery could be the issue.

But if the battery is still >50% after the reboot, then my guess is that it's a hardware issue. From what I understand, replacing the battery isn't too difficult, so it's worth a shot, but I'm betting it won't help.

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't already ditched the N5, the battery is very easy to replace. There are a number of videos on YouTube showing how. The whole process takes maybe 10-20 minutes, and the batteries are cheap on eBay. Though look at reviews to increase your odds of getting a good one.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Well, this didn't end the way I had hoped. I bought a battery for my Nexus 5 from Newegg. I shipped battery and phone to my clever son. He installed the new battery, charged it, and said phone was working fine.

He packed the phone in a nice little box, took it to the post office, mailed it first class. That was May 15. Tracking showed it left Madison, WI, on May 16. Since then it has been "in transit". Now, Madison is not that far from Michigan where I live. On May 22 I filed a missing mail claim. I got a claim number but the USPS website does not show any way to use the number for information. Also I was supposed to get an email confirming my claim. I didn't get one. Tracking still says "in transit". I don't have much hope of getting my phone back. It was not insured.

I guess it's lost. Now I do have to be thinking about buying a new phone. As B. Diddy suggested I have looked at reviews of the Moto G5 Plus and the ZTE Axon 7. I like the idea of the larger ZTE phone. My eyes are not what they used to be :(. I will go to Best Buy tomorrow to look at phones. Unfortunately, the last time I was there I found that many of their phones were either not working at all or had some demo on them that shows things I'm totally not interested in. The salespersons don't seem to be able to fix the non-functioning phones.

I know this is a Nexus 5 group, but it has many experts!! I would appreciate any further help you can give me. The Nexus 5 was my first phone so I'm definitely not an expert. The Pixels are a bit out of my price range.

Thanks.

nelhop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
USPS actually found my phone! So I have had a chance to see if the new battery did anything for me. As Diddy predicted, the problems are still there. So acting on Diddy's advice, I bought a Moto G5 plus from BHphoto. It is predicted to arrive Tuesday. In the meantime I wanted to get ready. I am hoping to transfer the 133 apps to the new phone.

When the Nexus 5 works long enough without restarting I try to get to my home WIFI. It doesn't work. It finds my WIFI, accepts the password and after working for a while, tells me there is a connection failure. This also happens at other places where I have attempted to use their WIFI.

When I can get to it I have tried to forget my home wifi and then look for it again. Doesn't help.

The reason I am trying to get the wifi to work is because from what I read it is required along with being plugged into a charger in order to back up my apps for transfer to the new phone. Is there any way to use the backup/restore feature without wifi?

133 apps sound like a lot but a great many of those are not of my choice. Google put them there and doesn't let me uninstall them.

I checked backup & reset on the phone. Back up my data is on, as is automatic restore. I checked MyDrive and found that there had been a backup a few days ago. I looked to see what what was backed up and it listed only 27 apps.

I did write down, pencil and paper, all the apps that are on the phone in case I have to install them one by one. That may end up being the easiest to do, but perhaps someone may have a better suggestion.

Thanks to this forum for your help!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non