Poetic HardBack Protective Case

elach4018

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
That was the one I was going to buy, too. But I am big on design and there seems something fundamentally wrong with taking a beautiful, slim metal and rubber device (the N7) and adding a lot of leather and bulk to it, even if you get a stand, holding strap, etc.

I wanted something very minimal, and that's why I went with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU1998739

I also considered the Asus case on Google Play, but if it seemed that if you were going to have a cover, it should be more than a flap of rubber. And of course, it is also currently not available ("Coming soon").

I will write a review when it arrives.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I hate the feel of TPU and if there is any metal in the frame of the N7 it is not visible. For me the TPU makes everything feel like its from Playschool. I am hoping Rearth makes a Ringke Slim case for the N7 which should still fit in the Poetic folio. The folio style case is the "going outside" clothes for my N7. TPU also holds in alot of heat in the device and the N7 can get real hot.

EDIT: The Poetic folio is also a smart case.

Last edited:

elach4018

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't mean to get you defensive.

You are right: the faux metal on the N7 is really plastic. But the intent from a design perspective is to give it a metal feeling without the weight or material cost.

And you are also clearly in the majority in thinking that leather is "expensive" and TPU is "cheap." I never understood that view.

The N7 puts off a lot of heat? Wow. I never experienced that. I have run mine for hours on end and have never felt it getting even uncomfortably warm. Maybe your unit is defective? Or I have a new problem to look forward to in the future.

Thanks for your comments and insight.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I am not good at sounding nice in text. I did not want to come off defensive sorry. I also never meant cheap but more like I felt I needed to be wearing a helmet with a drool cup with TPU cases. To clarify TPU blocks the transfer of heat so the fact that you never felt the heat was my point. If it did get overly hot you may not know till it rebooted itself. Try playing NOVA 3 for about an hour your N7 will be able to cook an egg. Of the 15 Nexus7s I have tested and sold I still don't actually own one. I just play with them till they sell.

Last edited:

kiznarsh

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Looking forward to your review. I just received the i-BLASON case and it turned out to be much bulkier than I wanted. It definitely has a very secure feeling to it, but access to the volume button wasn't easy and it tripled the overall thickness. Plus originally it was $20, then when I went to buy it, it was $25 (and I figured what the hell), and now it's back to $20. Having the Nexus stand up in portrait mode wasn't that easy either...

Anyway, the Poetic one seems much simpler, definitely thinner, and less expensive.

Madestric

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I also got a Poetic case, but mine is more of a book style: Amazon.com: Poetic Slimbook Leather Case for the Google Nexus 7 Android Tablet by Asus (Automatically Wakes and Puts the Nexus 7 to Sleep)(Speaker Hole is Completely Open) (Intergrated HandStrap) (3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic): Computers

Looks and feels great, has a useful hand strap on the back, and I can prop it up in a couple different ways. Definitely worth $12, and it is Prime eligible.

Sent from my Nexus 7

does it put your nexus to sleep when you use the hand strap?

IXDoubleDXI

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else who ordered this case get the same email this morning? Pretty good C/S by Exact by being proactive about this. Mine should be getting delivered at some point today.

Thank you for purchasing Poetic HardBack Protective Case for the Google Nexus 7
Android Tablet by Asus. We have found there is slight problem on the case. The
magnet inside the case is too strong to make case sleep while fold back the
cover and hold like a book. Sorry about nothing seeing this problem while
designing this product. Please keep the original one as backup, you don?t need
to ship back to us. We are managed to provide a free replacement update version
case that correct this problem as Poetic stand behind of their products within
2-3 business days. We are shipping updated fixed version out within 2-3 business
days. You will definitely receive the update fixed version by the end of next
week (August 3th). Please give us a chance and wait until update version
products before give out product comment on this product.

Best Regards to all that support Poetic, we will continue provide more
innovative products for Google Nexus 7 device before anyone else.

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else who ordered this case get the same email this morning? Pretty good C/S by Exact by being proactive about this. Mine should be getting delivered at some point today.

Thank you for purchasing Poetic HardBack Protective Case for the Google Nexus 7
Android Tablet by Asus. We have found there is slight problem on the case. The
magnet inside the case is too strong to make case sleep while fold back the
cover and hold like a book. Sorry about nothing seeing this problem while
designing this product. Please keep the original one as backup, you don?t need
to ship back to us. We are managed to provide a free replacement update version
case that correct this problem as Poetic stand behind of their products within
2-3 business days. We are shipping updated fixed version out within 2-3 business
days. You will definitely receive the update fixed version by the end of next
week (August 3th). Please give us a chance and wait until update version
products before give out product comment on this product.

Best Regards to all that support Poetic, we will continue provide more
innovative products for Google Nexus 7 device before anyone else.

I received the same msg this morning! Mine should be out for delivery today.

Lphie

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I purchased mine from Ebay and mine arrived today.

Initial review is that this is a very nice case. It holds the N7 in place very tightly and doesn't add too much bulk. One thing that I love about this case is the fact that it has the "tabs" on the corners and one on top and bottom to hold the N7 in place, instead of a "pocket" where you slight it inside to hold it in place. I like the feel of the glass on the bezel so this is great.

The leather is very high quality and the stitching is good as well.

I'm really enjoying this case.

As for the magnet being too strong and putting it back to sleep in "book" mode, it does happen, but I found that once you unlock it and start doing what you are doing, the magnet does not put it to sleep. I may contact Poetic and see if they will send me a replacement regardless, but if they don't, I'm fine with that as well.

Bottom line, this is a very good case!

IMG_20120727_113252.jpg

IMG_20120727_113316.jpg

IMG_20120727_113340.jpg

IMG_20120727_113407.jpg

IMG_20120727_113426.jpg

IMG_20120727_113447.jpg

IMG_20120727_113459.jpg

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just got this in the mail:

Amazon.com: Poetic HardBack Protective Case for the Google Nexus 7 Android Tablet by Asus (Automatically Wakes and Puts the Nexus 7 to Sleep)(3 Year Manufacturer Warranty From Poetic): Computers & Accessories

Very thin and well built. Fits exactly like in the pictures. The magnet is too strong and will put the N7 back to sleep when the cover is folded back in portrait mode. So, since they have already shipped a fixed replacement, I just removed the magnet. Pretty neat case.:D:D

Now my baby has clothes!!!

Edit: Just noticed that it is now 12.95......was 9.95 when I ordered....guess I got a deal!!!

dpridgen

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I just got mine today too, and yes, it is nice, I only have two problems with it, the magnet issue which they are fixing and sending me a new one, and the stylus loop is in the wrong place. It blocks the volume up button with no stylus, and if you put a stylus in it it blocks all the buttons. They should have put it somewhere else.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I just got mine today too, and yes, it is nice, I only have two problems with it, the magnet issue which they are fixing and sending me a new one, and the stylus loop is in the wrong place. It blocks the volume up button with no stylus, and if you put a stylus in it it blocks all the buttons. They should have put it somewhere else.

I got mine today and the loop was moved by the time they made mine.

dparrothead1

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Thats odd, because the stylus loop on mine is more toward the bottom....between the side clasp and the ear phone jack.

dpridgen

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I must have gotten one of the early runs. No worries, they are sending another. Another thing I would add to my wish list of the perfect case for the Nexus 7... Build in a removable Fresnel magnifier so I can read the screen on some apps where I can't resize the fonts.

BTW the Poetic stylus that amazon recommends as an add on, works well so far.