N7 32gb 3G - Cracked screen can brick it?

Standard Deviator

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello.

My 2yo daughter stepped on (or more like jumped on...) my Nexus. The glass is intact, but the LCD under shows point damage around 2 mm wide with spiral cracks going out from it to edges of the screen. Just after the accident the touch worked fine, I was able to unlock it by PIN even under the damaged area on LCD, by remembering where the numbers/button were, and then even open and see fragments of a pdf file i needed. Then I put it aside, where it most likely just run out of battery.
Next day, tried to see whats going on, but it wouldn't start. After connecting charger, the backlight (i think, maybe it is LCD too) flashes 3-4 times and then lights up the crack on LCD, but nothing happens on screen. After holding the power button it does the same again. No response to touch. After 6 hours on charger looks like the battery didn't charge at all - complete brick without charger connected. Connected it to laptop, the screen flashes again, but no device detected.
The device was 400$ here, so preferably i could do with 100$ new digitizer+screen (the glass is immaculate though, maybe I could do with less?). Probably could even fix it myself.
But before I spend this bit of money, what can I do in steps to find out it isn't actually bricked?
Hard reset?
Some USB diagnostics? Self-diagnotics? Boot Mode?
Disassembly and physical inspection? Battery or MB damage?
Disconnect/Change to new screen first to see then buy new tablet it is bricked ? :D (expensive option...)

Any pointers is appreciated guys.
(nerd turned MD)
T.

edit: Got it to respond to Recovery Mode restart, the screen is black, but laptop detected APX.
edit 2: could be the simple charging bug as others described - problem is I cant see if the recovery menu actually shows up. In that case, how many times i have to press volume down to select "Power Down", doing it blindly?
edit 3: It is charging! after this: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/12/27/fix-nexus-7-refusing-to-charge-try-this-trick/

Last edited:

Standard Deviator

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Ok, sorry to make such a panicky post early in the morning. It took me a while to do some research and think clearly. It was obviously low chance that screen damage would brick other components - this thought kept me from rushing into buying new one. I used to hack, mod and flash every piece of electronic that got into my hands.
Anyway the tablet is up and running. Touch works perfectly, so I understand that Digitizer is intact. Glass is intact.

So only question left, could I do with just installing a new LCD? Or better to just change the whole set?

brainvision

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
yea if all works just fine you should only buy a new LCD.. on Google and YouTube you can find a lot of how-to and video about how to make the trick! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty