Random freezing/rebooting on my Nexus 7... :-(

1PaulH

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Same issue-random freezes and dark screen. Can't find a pattern to it. It's happened on two units. Great device-when it works. Unfortunately, that's not good enough. Hope Google/Asus figures out the problem soon. It not, I'm on to my third and final Nexus 7.
Very disappointed.

yesman1

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. Had N7 for 2 weeks now and crashing all the time, in various apps or even just in settings screen. Sometimes it crashes out to home screen but most of the time it restarts (sometimes full restart with Google logo, most of the time just flashes the 'X' color logo and restarts) Have to wait a while for wifi to reconnect every time so is a real pain to use. Going to see if I can get a replacement.

tkrandell

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Same problem here. Had mine about a month or more, and the problem started just before Christmas. Randomly freezes then reboots. Thought it might be because of rooting, but others with non-rooted ones are having the same problem.

Just before it happens, the system slows down a lot. Returning to the home screen sees it taking quite a while before the app icons appear. At that stage I have tried removing the running apps by swiping them from the list, but it is still just a matter of time before it freezes and reboots again. Should I be taking this thing back to the store?

BTW, I have been using a cover with a magnet ever since I got my Nexus 7, so could that really be an issue?

Tim

Sammylpt

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I too have this problem only I get it most prolific with YouTube. It'll stop buffering through the video, somewhere around the 50%-75% mark and then it just stops. If I slide the buffer bar to the side it does nothing. Then if o tap the back button it freezes and gives the message YouTube is not responding. It's not like a major problem but I can't figure out why it does it. Same thing happens on Chrome from time to time. I've updated but it still happens.

Before when I installed TubeMate my Nexus kept going blurry on videos, freezing and then restarting. I did a factory reset and took TubeMate off, so far a month later and I haven't had restarting issues. Just the freezing.

Also strangely enough I downloaded some wallpapers off Chrome (not Play Store) and those pictures now misbehave, I can't delete them either. A file occurred is all I get. I'm guessing Android is quote succeptable to glitches and possibly viruses, though AVG and Outlook haven't found anything worrying.

By the way, when I force an App to close and I get the message it may misbehave - what exactly does this mean?

jack ryan2

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I have a nexus 7 and i have bought a keyboard cae with a nexus 7 otg cable: however when i kept wiggling it about in the charger port (the charger slot in the nexus) and it kept shutting it down. I looked online and searched for what the problem might be but couldnt find no answer. After a while i stopped using it and now my nexus keeps opening and closing apps and google chrome and keeps closing and freezing itself and im really getting annoyed. Ive checked for a virus with the 'anti virus for android' and there is no virus . do u have any idea whats wrong ?!

Donald Barber

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I just did some research as to why your tablet is freezing, and you're sling player if you downloaded it from " Softonic.com it may come with malware. Softonic is famous for installing in the background of malware. If you installed it as advanced you would be able to eliminate the add ons of sling player.

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
After two trouble free years, am just starting to get this rebooting problem, consistently when I am in settings>apps, and on other rare occasions. Doesn't seem like anyone has found a solution. I did a soft reset, and it even rebooted when I was in safe mode, so I suspect it is one of my system apps causing the problem. Any ideas, or should I just live with it at this point?