Google Play Magazine a data hog?

Fuzzone

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
So I noticed that my Google Play Magazine app is using extremely high volume of data on my network. I have not bought a single magazine. I downloaded one magazine but haven't even browsed through it completely. So, the question is why is is using all this bandwidth. Anyone else seeing this?

See attached pic.

bayourock

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
glad someone caught this. I occasionally (daily for my ride home) use my N7 tethered to my cell phone...

Don't need this app eating up all my data!!!

moss27

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
That seems like a looot of data usage. Are you sure that it didn't download all of your magazines when you first set up the app?

I downloaded all of my magazines on Zinio originally and it used up a lot of data to download the actual magazines to my tablet. But for it to use 12 GB on its own makes no sense, outside of that.

Reactions: Fuzzone

Fuzzone

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
That seems like a looot of data usage. Are you sure that it didn't download all of your magazines when you first set up the app?

I downloaded all of my magazines on Zinio originally and it used up a lot of data to download the actual magazines to my tablet. But for it to use 12 GB on its own makes no sense, outside of that.

I downloaded the free Esquire, just to check the look and feel. Other than that I didn't do anything. I stopped and disabled the app yesterday and the graph now has flattened. See both the graphs now. The foreground is minimal however the background data is extremely high.

Any help or guidance in this regard would be much appreciated.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the free Esquire, just to check the look and feel. Other than that I didn't do anything. I stopped and disabled the app yesterday and the graph now has flattened. See both the graphs now. The foreground is minimal however the background data is extremely high.

That seems really high. I downloaded 1 magazine and my foreground is 16.98MB background is 138MB.

moss27

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

Did you ever download/purchase any other magazines from this app on a previous device?

tcat007

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I just looked at mine and it's at 3.6 gB. Haven't looked at magazines in 3 weeks, and then might have downloaded the free Popular Science.

I also see no data in the android/data/magazines folder, but I can read any of the magazines off-line. They are stored on the SD card "somewhere". But there sure shouldn't be 3.6 gb of usage this past week!

Last edited:

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I did go to data settings and check. Almost a full gig of activity. Since the first week of setup, I have had very little activity. With that said, I only downloaded a few mags initially to see what it was all about, so in hindsight a gig of usage seems high to me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress