Nexus 7 Up time: 1001 hours straight!

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
2012-09-04%2017.10.09.png

Well, I finally reached my goal of 1000 hours of up time! :D (I forgot to take a screenshot at exactly the 1000 hour mark like I had planned--whoops! :p)
Jelly Bean, while quite a stable OS, still has a few issues. At around the 150 hour mark, I noticed my homescreen was glitching and widgets either would not work or they would work but would not update properly.

An example would be me pressing the WIFI control widget and while WIFI would indeed work just fine, the widget itself would not light up showing that it was on (but the notification bar showed WIFI). The opposite would be true at times, where WIFI was off, but the widget showed that it was on.

Other widgets like Plume (Twitter app) simply refused to work. Oh well. I've also run into a ton of music stuttering while performing other operations such as installing or updating apps or switching between apps.

I'm fairly certain that a quick reboot would have solved all these issues, but I am OCD and I wanted to see how long I can keep my N7 on. I did run into a few 'scares' along the way, where I had thought my N7 would force itself to reboot or shutdown on its own (like my crappy Droid Charge does), sometimes pressing the power button to turn on the screen would result in a 4 second delay and on a few occasions the system would freeze up for a little bit.

But every single time, my tablet made it out okay in the end! The fact that I have reached 1001 hours (close to 48 days straight!) is a testament to Jelly Bean and the Nexus 7. It's not perfect, but it damn well is rock solid!

Good job Google and Asus! :cool:

bawboh86

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Huh, mine's at about 198 hours of uptime and I don't seem to have the same problems with widgets as you do (well, except for Google Reader widget updating the "new" count, but it's never really worked correctly). I may try this 1000 hour thing, too. Then again, the only reason I'm at such a low uptime right now is because I let the tablet die on accident one day. Played a game for a couple of hours, surfed the net, read a book, and then set it down in sleep mode, not plugged in, overnight. completely dead the next day. >_<

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

Well, I finally reached my goal of 1000 hours of up time! :D (I forgot to take a screenshot at exactly the 1000 hour mark like I had planned--whoops! :p)
Jelly Bean, while quite a stable OS, still has a few issues. At around the 150 hour mark, I noticed my homescreen was glitching and widgets either would not work or they would work but would not update properly.

An example would be me pressing the WIFI control widget and while WIFI would indeed work just fine, the widget itself would not light up showing that it was on (but the notification bar showed WIFI). The opposite would be true at times, where WIFI was off, but the widget showed that it was on.

Other widgets like Plume (Twitter app) simply refused to work. Oh well. I've also run into a ton of music stuttering while performing other operations such as installing or updating apps or switching between apps.

I'm fairly certain that a quick reboot would have solved all these issues, but I am OCD and I wanted to see how long I can keep my N7 on. I did run into a few 'scares' along the way, where I had thought my N7 would force itself to reboot or shutdown on its own (like my crappy Droid Charge does), sometimes pressing the power button to turn on the screen would result in a 4 second delay and on a few occasions the system would freeze up for a little bit.

But every single time, my tablet made it out okay in the end! The fact that I have reached 1001 hours (close to 48 days straight!) is a testament to Jelly Bean and the Nexus 7. It's not perfect, but it damn well is rock solid!

I knew you were going to get it done!! lol Great job! Lemme see what mine is lol.

Eduardo06sp

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow, you guys must not like your Nexus 7 that much. I charge mine every other day.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I knew you were going to get it done!! lol Great job! Lemme see what mine is lol.
Ah, I was hoping you'd see this thread! :p

Wow, you guys must not like your Nexus 7 that much. I charge mine every other day.

Um, this is not related to battery life, I can't imagine any handheld device lasting 48 days on a single charge, even in sleep mode. I charged the battery many times, this is "Up time" (check your About tablet settings to see yours).

EXPECT ANOTHER POST IN 48 MORE DAYS!! LOL!! :D

Curtis A

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Nice job! Unfortunately I have to reboot my N7 about every 48 hours or so because the touch screen becomes laggy or unresponsive.

But I am almost up to 800hrs on my Sgs3 :)

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I'll never make it that far. Mine and shutdown itself twice in the last 5 days. Did screen off and put it in my pocket, a couple of hours later the screen wouldn't turn on, had to use power button and of course it went to Google screen then the boot ani and back up.

Don't know why.

KitN

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I just got my replacement so I only have 35 hours uptime, lol.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

scooter7

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Just checked mine and I'm at 945 hours. I'm not sure how much longer I can make it, as it is starting to ask for a restart with some lag here and there. A little bit longer and it may be begging for a restart.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Ah, I was hoping you'd see this thread! :p

Um, this is not related to battery life, I can't imagine any handheld device lasting 48 days on a single charge, even in sleep mode. I charged the battery many times, this is "Up time" (check your About tablet settings to see yours).

EXPECT ANOTHER POST IN 48 MORE DAYS!! LOL!! :D

Lol!!!! Yeah, I saw it, and was smiling pretty largely lol. Mine is at ~ 432.5 hrs right now. :)

MJKearney

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Geez, I encounter an unauthorized, unannounced, self-reboot about once a week! But then again, I'm in and out of several different apps (with about 250 total on my N7) for about 10 hours a day. Maybe that makes a difference.

JustinMueller8810

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32150068/2012-09-04 17.10.09.png

you're crazy man!

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm about to do the update that I've been neglecting lol. 1578 hours and 22 mins.

nexus7uptime.png

Going to do the update now lol.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that if I go beyond about 200 hours, the multi touch goes crazy. But widgets and everything else still works flawlessly.

Chocoburger

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm about to do the update that I've been neglecting lol. 1578 hours and 22 mins.
Going to do the update now lol.
YOU BEAT ME! Wanna know why? Apparently I tried to play GameLoft's Modern Combat 3 with a Dual Shock 3 controller. But for some reason it caused my tablet to freak out and the touch response 'broke'. I had no choice but to reboot my tablet (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!). I tried it again, and it happened two more times, there is definitely something wrong with the SIXAXIS app or the Modern Combat 3 app.

I've also run into a few other reboots, once in my pocket (oops!) since I don't have a case for my N7, the buttons get pressed in my pocket. I'm currently at 8.5 hours of up time, which means I had a forced reboot without me knowing about it, since 8 hours ago, my tablet was on my bed, not being used. Lame-o! No fair! But congrats man on your 1,578 hours! :D

I noticed that if I go beyond about 200 hours, the multi touch goes crazy. But widgets and everything else still works flawlessly.
Yeah, I've had a lot of issues recently with my tablet, touch goes crazy sometimes, and it's been lagging more than ever recently, Android 4.1.2 is running worse than when I originally bought my tablet. That is unsettling.

OP What WiFi control widget do you use? I'd be keen to stick one of these on my N7 as it's a bit of a pain going through settings.
I just use the basic default Android power control widget.