Should I turn it off at night?

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok so here is a dumb question...

What is the difference between sleep and power off? (Sleep - what happens automatically / Power off - holding the power button down and selecting Power Off)

Also, I have a 'Lock The Screen' app/widget... when I lock the screen, is that the same as sleeping?

Thanks
Locking the screen (turning it off, locking) is sleeping, with the added security of the lock. Probably the same as Settings | Security | Lock on power switch. Enabling that and closing with a folio that has a "sleep" magnet in the cover is a good idea for privacy. I've got a video that demonstrates this stuff a bit.[1]

Can you stop hijacking my threads with your questions please
Huh? I missed something. It's not "your" thread, and probably not "hijacking" if a question is related to the thread topic. Let's just discuss sleeping and locking and stuff without getting defensive. ;)

To answer your question, you can just sleep it like you've been doing. A power down once a week or so will clear caches and stuff, not a bad idea. Of course if you install a questionable app that does a lot of force closing or locking up, uninstall the app and power down just to be safe.

For the most part the OS on the tablet manages itself quite well, though. It's not like Windows where the longer you go without shutting down, the closer you are to a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death).

[1]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cUor8tul3Y&list=UUMCi3IBkwM5-M1BGs_8Wlfw&index=2&feature=plcp

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had a 16GB N7 for about 2 months now. If I let it sleep, the battery loses almost all power inside of 3 days. I can see how flight mode might help a little but nothing like a week seems possible. I let it sleep if I plug in the charger but turn it off otherwise.

Also, people need to be aware that not all chargers are created equal. Use the one that came with your N7. Also, a powered down N7 will charge faster than a running one.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
True, and a good point. The N7, like other tablets, can really suck power up on a 9W-10W 2A charger. Using a dinky little 5W 1A like phones come with will take longer. And -- despite what some say -- plugging it into a computers USB data port (limited to 500mA) will give you a hard lesson in patience.

That said ... I plug my N7 overnight into a conventional iPod charger, about as wimpy a charger for non-Apple devices as you can find. (It's nominally 1A, but only with proper Apple devices, other devices see it as a computer's USB port.) Unless my tablet is < 20% when I plug it in, it's fully charged up by morning. Sleeping helps. Longer sync refresh cycles (syncing apps every four hours, vice ever thirty minutes) helps too.

jazzyyxo

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Oh can you use different chargers? I was going to ask this because it the charger is quite short and can't really use it whilst its charging

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm old-school. I think you should power it down once a week. I have no scientific basis for that advice though.:)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Also, a powered down N7 will charge faster than a running one.
That's a great point if the battery is run down during the day and you want to get back to using it quickly. For me, it goes on the charger overnight and I let it sleep while I do. We both wake with enough energy for the day.:D

a1kemist

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh can you use different chargers? I was going to ask this because it the charger is quite short and can't really use it whilst its charging

Yes, you can use other chargers, just make sure it's comparable to the N7 charger. I use a playbook, KFHD and touchpad charger. I don't even use the stock charger that comes with the N7. Not enough outlets by the couch :eek:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Mongooze2

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I like to power mine down at night. Does it make a difference? Probably not. But I like to think in my OCD brain that I'm extending the life of the device by doing so.

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
You can get a longer cable. I have 6 or 7 chargers and different lengths of cable depending on the use. By my bed I have a 10 ft cable (well, 2, one for the N7 and one for my phone) so I can use it in bed. Monoprice has great prices on USB micro cables.

Get at least a 1A charger or better yet a "2.1A" one. By the way, price and quality don't seem to correlate in USB chargers.. Especially in auto adapters.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I usually turn off the Nexus 7 if I know I'm not going to be using it for awhile. I don't think it matters, though.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
I usually turn it off the night before a day I know I'll be using the crap out of it. Helps give the battery an extra boost.

Sent from my HTC One X

Tervz

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I turn mine off 2or3 Times a week, usually overnight. When I got my first android phone a couple of years ago (still have it) there was a lot of discussion about the battery life and a very detailed recipe to toughen it up by charging all night with it turned off, then with it turned on, etc. I did it and the battery did start lasting longer. Maybe it just did that because it was settling in with use. I do think that charging your battery in a variety of conditions like totally depleted, turned off, and overnight as well as partly discharged, on, and then fully charge and immediately unplug, all help the battery to last longer and work better. Why? Haven't a clue but it works for me.
I do think turning it off cleans up caches and improves performance but I'm not techy enough to know why. I'm very happy with the battery life I get.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress