Nexus 7 Not Connecting to WiFi after 4.2 update, PLEASE HELP!!!

Soham Kale

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 7 won't connect to my home WiFi. All my other devices connect to the same WiFi and my family's devices too, but not my tablet, so im pretty sure its a problem with my device. I've tried to reboot it and forget/connect-again to my WiFi but it isn't working. This has happened ever since my 4.2 update, before it was working fine. This is another 4.2 update issue along with jerkiness and the tablet slowing down constantly. What do I do????

guyjeb

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Tried this as well. Same Problem. The Wireless connection stays in "Saved" instead of connected.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to backup and attempt a rollback to 4.1.2...

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I have been having a Wi-Fi issue at a bar that I go to all the time that worked fine on 4.1.2 and started getting connection issues with 4.2. The bar and my home has no Wi-Fi security. I fixed it at the bar one day by forgetting the Wi-Fi rebooting and doing a new scan and it connected. Then the next day at the same bar the connection issue was back and I had to get them to re-boot the Wi-Fi for it to work.

On Thanksgiving I went over to the Wife's parents and had a new version of this Wi-Fi connection problem that looked just like what is going on in this guys video on his n7. This was different than the bar's Wi-Fi that was simple to fix. The bar's Wi-Fi issue never looked like this video but this is what I saw at may Wife's parents house and it never connected. Some people think this is a WPA issue. This YouTube video is slow to load... wait for it.

Karizona

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I've tried everything suggested thus far. All other devices in the house (3 android phones, 3 laptops, 1 netbook, and hubby's cheapo android tablet) all have NO problems. This is so frustrating. If I had the option I'd return this and maybe check out the Kindle Fire HD. I'm not happy and there's no where to turn....any suggestions of who to call, email, etc?

John Flowers

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Just opened a new Google Android 4. Using with my WiFi in home the device comes up with the message: Failed to Authenticate. Over and over.Signal is strong, password is correct.

cognus

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Back to the OP - I have noticed some of this also on 4.2.1. as I type this on my trusty thinkpad I have 4 bars [my home AP - multi routers one AP]. On my very humble old Optimus P509 'droid I get 3 bars - no issues. on the nexus laying on the table in EXACTLY the same location, I get 1 bar, which will 'wobble' to zero, back to 1, etc.
This location is line-of-sight to the stronger of my routers [external antennae].

? I don't have google currents.
any ideas?

I will say I have seen worse :) .... my wife's galaxy S 4G seems to pick the time and place at which it decides to receive wifi.... a problem I need to work on some day - that thing is terrible about connecting to wifi. my little optimus never complains about anything. connects like a signal-vacuum

UPDATE: more weirdness. put our ipad mini in the same spot and it gets 2-3 bars.
On the Nexus 7 I disabled and re-enabled wifi after a power-cycle boot. here's something interesting. if I change from landscape position [sensor picks it up] to portrait mode, the signal will change to the stronger, but it will drop the connection, re-authenticate, get connected again. reverse the procedure shifting to landscape mode - sensor flips the display, signal drops, disconnects, tries to reconnect/authenticate, secures "connect" at very low signal. I tried this multiple times holding the device [handwise] in different ways thinking maybe my hand/fingers in contact had something to do with it - the hand position seemed to make no difference. landscape mode bad. portrait mode not as bad. disconnect/reconnect, etc. No wonder there is "lag" going on if its cycling the connection every few seconds.

What CHANNEL does the Nexus 7 like?

Last edited:

philba

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I've seen a version of this problem on several android devices. Forgetting the connection and starting from scratch seems to do the trick.

You could try going into the router and changing the channel it uses. Are you in the US? Wifi Analyzer (highly recommended app) shows the channels each router is using and how good the signal is. You could try moving to a different channel.

Also, you could try changing the authentication type in the router just to see if that's the problem.

cognus

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
wifi analyzer can help. In my case I did change the channel [from 11 to 6] but the way wifi analyzer assesses signal, it just moves the curve. in other words, it will always suggest a channel other than what you're broadcasting on, regardless of how many times you change it.

subjectively, the change in my case made it slightly worse. and I want to stress again that my other 'good' devices are getting potent signal RIGHT ON the same square inch where the nex 7 is dropping, reconnecting, dropping. basically if I stay within 10 feet line of sight to one of my ap points, its ok. otherwise not, and especially not when held in landscape mode.

i note that the first time I personally messed with a nexus 7 was in an officedepot. the helpfully nerdy young man attending the techstuff was very familiar with his array of devices and noted that the nexus 7 "can never connect to our wifi" - several of the other tabs shone - the lenovo 2107 was latched on like a hound... worked really well

Jon Warr

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
HELP!

I'm having the same problem with a N7. I have two. On belongs to my wife and was bought in Germany, it connects to our WiFi here in Germany just fine.

The other N7 belongs to her mother who is her visiting. Hers was bought in the UK, is the same device (16GB WiFi only) and even the same build number but will not connect to the WiFi.

I've tried changing security types, resetting router, disabling security, using WPS push button method, PIN method, turning WPS off, clearing cache, setting the time zone accurately, turning off google currents sync, changing my SSID to a single word, connecting via MAC address. and NOTHING has worked. It just says "Saved, Secured with WPA..."

It wouldn't be so frustrating if the exact same devices behaved the same! grrr!

Zina Kind

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I was having the same problem trying to reconnect my N7 to my ATT U-Verse WiFi. I tried repeatedly with all the methods that everyone on this forum tried and nothing worked. Finally, I connected to my aunt's Comcast Internet (she lives in the same apartment complex that I do) and voila. Problem solved. Everyone of course won't have the option of connecting to a different WiFi service that I do, but I definitely believe the problem is with the way that the N7 is connecting to different ISPs after the update.

Nig1

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
My wife is having the same problem. She has 32bit nexus 7 that will not find our wifi - I have 16bit that has no problem, all since 4.2 update!

Julie Bradley

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping after some time there would be a solution to this, but even after the 4.2.3 update and rolling it back to 4.1.2 still nothing has worked. I have tried EVERY method listed here and NOTHING has helped. I am also stuck in the "not able to return" club.

Julie Bradley

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I bought my nexus 32g at the end of November, when the wifi was just fine, so when 4.2 release well after 30 days, you can imagine how peeved I've been after 3 months of a now useless accessory to my gadget collection.

Ted10

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I had the very same problem with my Nexus7 but i cured it by selecting the wifi and pressing the button on the front of my Belkin router and it fired up straight away,so have a go at that.I have also installed the latest upgrade and its working fine.

GKWANNABE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing no actual solution has come out yet for this issue? I mean, other than try this or that, no one has a solution? Too bad Google hasn't helped in this matter.

Nexus 7|Android Forums