Battery Drain

Joseph Coates

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I used to get about 10 hours of battery life from normal use for me, e-reader, email, Facebook, browsing, letting my daughters play Angry Birds, etc. No real gaming, etc. I do have Netflix and could watch a full movie and use half the battery. Now, it drains about a percent a minute, with no real usage. When I looked at the data usage, it told me 100 mb was being used by Google Play and that was the top usage from April 15th until now. I turned off the auto update. Do you think this will help or should I just do a reset and see what happens.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try installing Wake Lock Detector, which can tell you which apps might be waking the device up to do stuff. Activities like this can drain battery; I found that with Location Reporting set to on, Google Maps was causing a partial wake lock hundreds of times a day. Once I turned Location Reporting off, the battery life improved significantly, and I had no significant effect on functionality (Location Reporting is primarily used for Latitude, which I don't care about).

After you install Wake Lock Detector, let it sit for about a day, then run it, so that it has time to build up a database of what's waking the tablet up.

Joseph Coates

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Real slow dat at work on Friday. I did a factory reset, downloaded apps back on it, set everything up, reached 100% charge. Used it all day Sunday to see how battery life was, went from 100% to 60% in 4 hrs, 56 minutes. Back to normal.