Magnetic case, sleep, and passwords

jake0147

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
When I got this tablet, I got a case with the magnet to turn off the screen. Despite the bad press about some glitches this one worked fine. No glitches. Now something has changed, and I feel like it is a setting somewhere that I can't find. Please bear with the long description, it's a simple question but I am not really sure about the terminology of what state of sleep or lock this thing is in. (You're welcome to pick on me about that all you want so long as you throw in a little tidbit about what's actually happening, I soak up information pretty well and frankly I'll bet the answer is within this forum already if I knew the proper name for any of this.)

Originally when I would start the tablet from a completely turned off state I would have to enter my password two times on two different screens. Then I was good to go. After two minutes or so it would go to sleep. It would not lock until 30 minutes after that at which point it locks to the second password screen. Closing the cover would put it in the "asleep but not locked" mode where it would remain until the 30 minutes timed out and it locked.
Now it has changed. Now when I close the cover it instantly goes to "asleep AND locked" mode as if I had quickly pushed the power button. Which brings me to my question: How can I get this back to where closing the cover puts it in "asleep but not locked" mode?

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Try going to your security settings and make sure that your "Automatically Lock" setting is how you want it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

freakshow999

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Try settings, display, there is a sleep mode which I believe is just like a quick power button push, and a day dream mode which would be closing the lid and showing whatever you set it to when you open it back up.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think what you want to do is go to Settings/Security, and uncheck "Power button instantly locks." Closing a smartcover is the same as hitting the power button to put the device to sleep. You can still adjust the time before it locks under "Automatically lock."

jake0147

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I think what you want to do is go to Settings/Security, and uncheck "Power button instantly locks." Closing a smartcover is the same as hitting the power button to put the device to sleep. You can still adjust the time before it locks under "Automatically lock."

I think you're right, the power button (short tap) is the same as closing the cover. What I want to do is get back to where I was, where closing the cover was not the same as the power button.
I have the auto lock set for 30 minutes. I have the screen set to turn off with 2minutes of inactivity. Neither setting has changed. It is the function of the magnetic switch which has changed. I am of the belief now that the magnetic switch used to turn off the screen, and not "sleep" as I previously believed. I'm trying to figure out how (or if?) I can get this feature back. Of course I'll live out a normal healthy life either way, but for such a silly (borderline stupid) little thing, I find that I am missing this function terribly.

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I am having same problem and when I go into Settings/Security I do not see a "Power button instantly locks" option. Never had problem till installed Android 4.3.

Posted via Android Central App

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I am having same problem and when I go into Settings/Security I do not see a "Power button instantly locks" option. Never had problem till installed Android 4.3.
Maybe the OP has encrypted his N7 since he requires two passwords to get in. That may give alternate security options.

jake0147

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the OP has encrypted his N7 since he requires two passwords to get in. That may give alternate security options.

Yes, the OP does have his tablet encrypted. :) I never made the connection but I'm sure that is the second (first?) password now that you said that. It was one of the first things I did so I have no idea if it affects the available settings.

I did get an upgrade at some point to 4.3 as The Harrington mentioned, maybe Google changed that just to mess with me? I am after all such an influential person that they might just do that. VBSEG!