Do you have a laggy Nexus 7? Here's the solution.

propeller10

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a laggy nexus 7? And even after installing new updates and doing factory resets is it still sluggish?

The solution is to install a different ROM. I recommend Cyanogenmod since it's a beefed up stock Android. And with the new Cyanogenmod installer, there is no need to root or unlock your device. It does everything for you. After everything is done, you will have a fresh OS installed on your device and you will notice a massive difference. (make sure to backup your personal files before you do this)

CyanogenMod | Android Community Operating System

propeller10

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Definitely not for the novice of users, if you do this incase anyone reads this thread, do your research first!

I understand your concern but realize that all the hard work is done by the cyanogenmod installer. You just have to plug the device in to a computer and the application does the rest.

spewak

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I have to say, the install on the Tablet side was rather painless. I am also running Cyanogenmod on my HTC one, and that was a pain in the *** to install. I absolutely love the battery life on my One now. I will report back on the snapiness/battery life on the Nexus 7.

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
It also works with hundreds of other Android devices and installs the appropriate image.

Quick question - does the installer also install gapps for the phone as well or do you have to search for the specific gapps yourself??

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..

propeller10

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Quick question - does the installer also install gapps for the phone as well or do you have to search for the specific gapps yourself??

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..

Only the playstore comes pre-installed. All other gapps must be installed though the play store. This way you can only install the gapps you need and save space. (In my case I only need gmail and youtube. I don't need play movies and play music)

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It also works with hundreds of other Android devices and installs the appropriate image.

I does install everything needed to make your device a CyanogenMod device. But the installed only supports 42 devices. And yes this is not the safest idea for everybody just because it does everything for you. That just means the user will have just that much less knowledge about how to fix anything that goes wrong and its just as possible to have something go wrong.

Your warranty will be void after you use the installer. No one but yourself will be liable if you brick your device.

Knowledge is power so don't get talked into not researching stuff.

CyanogenMod Installer - CyanogenMod

propeller10

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I does install everything needed to make your device a CyanogenMod device. But the installed only supports 42 devices. And yes this is not the safest idea for everybody just because it does everything for you. That just means the user will have just that much less knowledge about how to fix anything that goes wrong and its just as possible to have something go wrong.

Your warranty will be void after you use the installer. No one but yourself will be liable if you brick your device.

Knowledge is power so don't get talked into not researching stuff.

CyanogenMod Installer - CyanogenMod

With different device variants it's well over 100. The installer is very safe to use. The chances of you bricking the device are extremely low. But I understand where you are coming from especially if you are used to doing things manually.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
With different device variants it's well over 100. The installer is very safe to use. The chances of you bricking the device are extremely low. But I understand where you are coming from especially if you are used to doing things manually.

What variants are you talking about? Because several are listed. 7-SIII 6-SII 5-Note II

Minus variants there are only 12 devices actually supported by the installer.

And to really break it down for you from a development perspective only 4 manufacturer ASUS, HTC, Samsung, and LG(only their Nexus).

Last edited:

propeller10

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
What variants are you talking about? Because several are listed. 7-SIII 6-SII 5-Note II

Minus variants there are only 12 devices actually supported by the installer.

And to really break it down for you from a development perspective only 4 manufacturer ASUS, HTC, Samsung, and LG(only their Nexus).

Yes, the installer doesn't support all devices yet. It was released very recently after all. But Cyanogenmod (not talking about the installer) supports hundreds of devices.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Devices#vendor=;

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the installer doesn't support all devices yet. It was released very recently after all. But Cyanogenmod (not talking about the installer) supports hundreds of devices.

Devices - CyanogenMod

Oh yes I completely agree. The CyanogenMod is the most prolific ROM for android and you could probability go as far as saying thousands of devices if you include the huge unofficially supported list.

My warning was to hopefully make clear this is a new just out of beta project and not a time tested spit polished perfect solution you had presented it as. There are still bugs with some of the samsung devices that are only just being discovered. In the area of Nexus devices this is about as perfect as it gets but when you brought in "hundreds of other Android devices" under your umbrella I had to post a warning.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
My wife's 7 was running like garbage thus week... the source of the problem was a nearly full /system....

I loaded a custom ROM (paranoid android 4 + mini gapps), system space problem solved, tablet is running good as new.

I have a lot of experience with losing custom roms, so I was not intimidated.... but I can see where someone new could be wary.

For those people, download the Wugfresh Nexus Toolkit.... available in several places. It's easy to use, laid out in a logical manner, handles ALL custom roms, and can even revert back to bone stock if you choose.

It steps you through the process very clearly... awesome, well done tool.

I used it for the 7, and as a time saver when I fiddle with my nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

propeller10

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
My wife's 7 was running like garbage thus week... the source of the problem was a nearly full /system....

I loaded a custom ROM (paranoid android 4 + mini gapps), system space problem solved, tablet is running good as new.

I have a lot of experience with losing custom roms, so I was not intimidated.... but I can see where someone new could be wary.

For those people, download the Wugfresh Nexus Toolkit.... available in several places. It's easy to use, laid out in a logical manner, handles ALL custom roms, and can even revert back to bone stock if you choose.

It steps you through the process very clearly... awesome, well done tool.

I used it for the 7, and as a time saver when I fiddle with my nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Glad you got it fixed. So many people dump their 2012 nexus 7 because of lag issues. It could easily be fixed by loading a new ROM on to the device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress