Anyone received the new update that is being pushed by Google to fix multi-touch issues

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Complete opposite for me, I hope ASUS gets the Nexus 10 also.

You clearly aren't following the touch screen issues then. It isn't just a handful of people, mate. The worst part? I can't even find a working one... it's that bad.

pfunnyjoy

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I feel you. Since this is a Nexus device, and therefore no SD card, I really advise turning on G+ auto backup (free) or dropbox.That will preserve those precious pics and vids. You can never know when you need a factory reset or the device is lost/stolen. I once had a hard drive crash and lost an entire year of documented memories. I have been leveraging the cloud ever since.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Yeah, I'd planned to back up both to the cloud, but they were only taken one days before the crash. The trouble is that we don't have Wi-Fi at home, so I can only do the cloud backup thing when there is somewhere I can get Wi-Fi.

Not a G+ member yet, but if that does backup automatically, will have to consider. I didn't turn on the Dropbox auto thing yet because of taking a bunch of junk/test pix with the tablet that I didn't want uploaded due to lack of space in the account.

I had the Google backup on, it saved my bookmarks, but if it saved anything else, I haven't seen it, as I've still had to change app settings back to what I prefer.

Anyway, lesson learned! Hoping the new device coming from Google will be trouble free. I thought the old device was until it suddenly wouldn't boot.

Sent from my Nook HD+

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
You clearly aren't following the touch screen issues then. It isn't just a handful of people, mate. The worst part? I can't even find a working one... it's that bad.

Ive had 2 without issue so guess Im also clearly very lucky. Ive had a 2012 Nexus 7 since lauch, not a single issue. I have had a Droid DNA where "it isnt just a handful of people" having SIM card errors, yet here I am without ever even seeing said errors. All that said, I dont swear off a brand cause of a few hiccups that I have read about but havent personally experienced.

IF I had seen these issues, I might be more bitter, but I have had to swap 1 already for an issue other than the main ones. Walked in, walked back out so from my experience, I dont have much to complain about my ASUS usage.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Ive had 2 without issue so guess Im also clearly very lucky. Ive had a 2012 Nexus 7 since lauch, not a single issue. I have had a Droid DNA where "it isnt just a handful of people" having SIM card errors, yet here I am without ever even seeing said errors. All that said, I dont swear off a brand cause of a few hiccups that I have read about but havent personally experienced.

I had 2012 N7 as well and it was perfect. I ended up passing it on to my kid after I ordered 2013 model. Well, I can't take it back now LOL.
As I've stated before, I ended up returning 2013 after trying 4 units from 3 different sources (hoping it'd help). They were all equally bad. So now we have this SW "fix" which doesn't fix the issue it said it would fix. Sure, it helped some people with this issue but still not 100%. Others still have the same behavior.

I will try buying one again when I get back from business trip but can you honestly say that Asus did a good job if it still doesn't work for me after another 2-4 attempts? Come on.....
I've never read about DNA wide spread issues (and I follow technical sites closely). 2013 touch issues have been all over technical sites news.

callanish

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
"Clearing data from Google Services Framework will force the update only when available for your device. Who knows how Google sends out OTA updates--serial number, region, hardware??? As soon as the update was announced, I started clearing data and cache and force stopping Google Services Framework. It didn't do a bit of good until the update was available to me on Friday evening. Once available, it will update it right away but it isn't going to bring the update before Google deems it ready for you--no matter how many times you clear Google Services Framework."

Don't agree with you whatsoever. Of all the Android devices I've owned, and the time in which I've owned them, not once has doing the Forced update ever failed to work for me. In some cases, it didn't happen the first time, but there's no way in hell coincidence is at play here with all the Android devices I've updated over the years using the Google Services Framework from Phones to the Google TV hardware.

You believe what you want to believe; my experience differs entirely from yours.

Last edited:

Nicky_Rizzles

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Got the update

All seems good except the random reboots

Hopefully they release an update to fix this issue then I'll be golden :)

buffdaddy72

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Still haven't received the update. Them again, I've had no issues with my nexus.

Ditto, haven't gotten the update here in the Chicago area. Tried the Google Framework trick a couple of time over the weekend out of curiosity, but nothing happened. But then again I haven't had any issues so I'm in really in no hurry to get it.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I received my JSS15Q update on Saturday Aug 23rd. I've had no problems and I literally live on my Nexus 7.

I got mine on July 26th at Walmart. My screen has no light bleed and no dead or stuck pixels. I've never had a spontaneous reboot. My touch screen response is excellent. We have two in the family and both are equally problem free.

Two weeks ago I had a single incident of a dropped GPS. No GPS problems before or since.

I love this device.

Nexus 7 (2013)

Last edited:

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Gps definitely locks on faster and consistently, but it is 20 or 30 feet off from what my sero 7 pro shows, which is I-hope-a-drone-doesnt-target-me-and-fire-a-missle-at-me accurate. My Galaxy Nexus was scary accurate, too, until 4.3. Now it won't lock at all, even after last week's update. Google still has some work to do.

Posted via Android Central App

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
what are you using for a car dock?

I'm using this: Amazon.com: Satechi SCH-121 Cup Holder Mount for Smartphones & Tablets: iPad, iPad Mini, Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Galaxy 10.1, Viewsonic Gtablet, Blackberry Playbook, HTC Flyer, iPhone, BlackBerry, Galaxy S4, S3, S

The old N7 did the same thing: No touch response when on a car seat or in a car dock.
The 2013 N7 does this very badly. If I have it on the arm of my couch, I have to put my opposite hand on the bezzel for it to respond. I have a vid I'm going to put on youtube that shows it happening.

Gauhar Mahmood Azeem

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Got my update today here in Pakistan, had no issues previously and thankfully none till now. I wonder why i had only 1 update out of the box, rather than 2 others had. bought amazon 15 august

FitzAusTex

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I heard that one update was retracted if it wasn't installed. It appears Google combined some updates for devices that hadn't yet connected to its servers (not bought /turned on) prior to the newest "Q" update.

Posted via Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
So with more time playing with my N7 after the update, I have 2 issues:

- GPS issues still there, may actually be worse, I get no lock, ever.
- occasionally the unlock screen wigs out. This morning I picked it up, unplugged it, and swiped the lock icon to the side. The screen shut off. I pushed the power button, and did the same thing. After 3-4 times of this, I turned it portrait & tried again, and it worked. It's not consistent - I just picked it up & unlock worked perfectly in landscape.

*edit* Figured out the unlock screen wigging out. It had nothing to do with the update, but the case I got at about the same time as the update. The case magnet was somehow being enhanced by my tablet stand, so the screen would wig out when I would try to unlock it while in the case, on the stand. I still have the GPS issues, and will probably end up doing a factory reset to see if it will take care of it.

Last edited:

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
So with more time playing with my N7 after the update, I have 2 issues:

- GPS issues still there, may actually be worse, I get no lock, ever.
- occasionally the unlock screen wigs out. This morning I picked it up, unplugged it, and swiped the lock icon to the side. The screen shut off. I pushed the power button, and did the same thing. After 3-4 times of this, I turned it portrait & tried again, and it worked. It's not consistent - I just picked it up & unlock worked perfectly in landscape.

Gotta say, not having any issues after the update and I was having major touch screen problems.

J

Grabber5.0

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
My N7 just spontaneously rebooted while I was listening to music, and when it booted up it notified me of the update. Just installed it, will see what happens. I was slightly annoyed that the update changed my background :p

lewie61

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Just tried the Google Framework trick and the tablet found and installed the update on the first crack. My biggest issue was having to periodically tap several times to get the tablet to respond. At first glance, 15Q appears to have improved the sensitivity to taps but we'll see how it goes. Thanks to all who posted the information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty