Nexus 7 (2013) WIll not Power On - 5x LED Blink - FBoD (Five Blinks of Death)

Jaclyn Jones1

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
in your case there might be some residual thats not getting out with a vacuum, i had the unforunate luck of my pack raining through while in japan once, took my tablet a few weeks before it would fully function again. I would reccommend sticking in a bowl of uncooked white rice, that stuff is more effective than dessicant, and will draw out the water that is in a hard spot.

Nahid Hossain

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Its very simple battery may not charge check your charger 1st than check the charging port on your nexus,i just solve my problem right now it was charging port problem i replace it now my nexus is ok to use....

David Gardner

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
hi

had same issue. i think likely cause is the power board/digitizer board. i had a n7 2nd gen which was given to me. battery was flat and it would not charge. i replaced board with known working board and when i connected power and tired to power in it flashed 5 times white. left it for 5 mins and then tried again and now it powers screen on and shows batt sign. so to recap

* if your n7 was working (day before) and just stops then its the power board
* get a volt meter and check battery has a charge, no charge after being plugged in then poss dead batt
* if your n7 has been off for a long time, then leave it 5-10 min then try again, if still happening then swap power board and then leave to charge and power on

hope that helps, they are good little tablets to work on, just a shame you have to work on them so often and the parts are getting more and more expensive :)

yenh127

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Happens all the time. I usually just leave it plugged in for an hour or 2 and it will start to charge slooooowly

Posted via the Android Central App

CompuDino

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Plug it into the charger and let it charge up a bit. Then hold the button down for over 30sec to a minute (yep, weird to hold it that long).

Still feels like a driver bug or some sort of hardware issue to me so I haven't bought a replacement yet :-(

THANK YOU Kenyee so much for taking the time to post this suggestion. It sounds like a basic thing to know, but as too many of us find, those references are like NO WHERE to be found (except here ;) ).

I've had my Nexus 7 for at least 4 years, been judicious about discharging it down to 20 - 15 % and then back up to 100% so the battery is as good as I can have kept it. I also power it down when I wouldn't be using it a lot. To have found it 'dead' yesterday was a big shock for me. I immediately tried to recharge (thought why it would be discharged was beyond me) and it stayed in a 'faint' ghostish screen even when not hooked up to charger. That faint light indicated that the battery wasn't dead, but that the unit was off in a limbo state of some sort.

Again, thanks to you, its now revived and totally charged up too. Happy happy happy!

Jeff Young4

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same issue, but your solution does not appear to be working for me.
I charged my tablet last night, and today the screen would not respond to touch. Using the power button, I tried to force it to reboot, but it just hung at the GOOGLE display . I left it alone all day and tonight it would not start. When I plug in the charger , I get the 5 flashing lights .
Any other suggestions?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Any other suggestions?
Have you tried booting into Recovery mode (via the Bootloader)? With the tablet completely off, press-and-hold the Volume Down rocker then press the Power button until you see the Bootloader. From there you can use the Volume controls to cycle through the options.

isaac_480

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
my first nexus 7 i had that problem then i had it again. this is what happened leading up to it. my first nexus was about a year old and was just starting to have some problems. the biggest problem that was effecting it is that the charger would only work if i put force down on the plug (as in if the nexus is flat screen up i had to push down in the cord) and it wasnt just a little bit of force i ended up piling a few heavy school textbooks on it to get it to charge. eventually i tried to turn on my nexus and it wasnt turning on instead giving me the 5 blink code or 5 blinks of death. i gave up and went to school came home and ended up doing research. for the next year or so i left it in a drawer and slowly forgot about it. one day my dad got some replacement parts for the charger because we assumed that was the problem or at least if we fixed that we could get the 5 blinks fixed and maybe resell. taking off the case/back of it (the actual one not the one that you buy for extra protection) i noticed that the thing that you attach the cord to had snapped off and was more or less bouncing around inside the case. we took that out then soldered on a new piece and plugged it in (it took us a few tries neither of us are very good at soldering) in the morning i saw my ancient home screen and whatever we did fixed it. however in the long time between first getting the 5 blinks and finally repairing it the screen had cracked and my touch only worked on one half of the screen and i was unable to type in the password to check if any of my data was still there (assuming it probably is). havent touched it since then i might try to repair the screen though. my newer nexus i have had for about a year also and i can give better details of what was happening considering it happened about a week ago. i occasionally listen to music as i am asleep (dont judge XD) and had done the same similar nights before. i set up spotify to start playing music and fell asleep. in the morning i woke up with the music still playing and turned off the music and put it down. after coming home from school i tried to turn it on and got the 5 blink code. im guessing that either this is programmed in to break after about a year (idk probs so they can make repair money) or i was doing something similar with my old nexus. i went through and checked what apps i remember having on the old one and on this newer one and the only ones in common that i can think of is kindle reader, spotify, world of tanks clash of clans and boom beach. i see no reason of why my nexus should have so suddenly broken down this time and what could have happened from the time i left for school and when i came back. as you read about my previous guess i am also wondering if something was downloaded through one of those other apps. if you share a similar experience and or shared the same apps as i did or also used a network that did not need a passcode to connect and anything else please respond with that.

Weirdster

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
I tried that and I left it on charge for over 2-days because it wouldn't work when I tried letting it charge for an hour and a half, and it still works because it has the five blinks but it still doesn't turn on so do you or anyone else have a solution to this miserable problem

Maisie Chivers

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
Anyone else here having this issue with their 2013 Nexus 7? I picked mine up tonight and it wouldn't turn on, so I plugged it in. The LED just blinks five times, no matter how long I hold the power button. I also cannot get it to boot into recovery.

I found some references to this issue on Google Groups, but no solutions. How wide spread is this and has anyone found a solution?

Mine did this too apparently it means when it blinks 5 times the tablet is stuck on one percent and cannot go up for some reason. I had to go and get mine repaired for £60

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress