The Nexus 7 (2013) Android 5.1 Lollipop Thread

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Gary, haven't seen any problems? I heard that while 5.1 fixed some issues, it has its own set of problems...ugh!

1eyedjack

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Got the 5.1, Build LMY470 OTA update this morning on my N7 2013 WiFi. Downloaded without problems and everything seems to run just fine. Will be interested to see if the battery drain is improved as that was the only issue encountered with 5.0.2 ...

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 7 Android 5.1 Update Release Continues

Today, the company is rolling out another Nexus Android 5.1 Lollipop update for the Nexus 7 2013 though the update isn’t for the Wi-Fi version of the device. It’s for the LTE model.

Shilohcane, many of us with wifi models received the OTA upgrade today. So, yes, it IS rolling out to wifi models. The LTE upgrades may also be rolling out, but they're usually rolled after the wifi upgrades because they are rolled out by the carriers. However, as you know, upgrades are almost always staggered, so not everyone will get it today. If you don't have it (wifi?), you should have it within a day or two. I also see that the image has been released, so you should be able to upgrade that way also.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Got the 5.1, Build LMY470 OTA update this morning on my N7 2013 WiFi. Downloaded without problems and everything seems to run just fine. Will be interested to see if the battery drain is improved as that was the only issue encountered with 5.0.2 ...

I downloaded at about the time you posted this, almost five hours ago, and the battery life actually seems to have improved.

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I had a few struggles with this update :'( (LMY47O, 5.0.2 to 5.1), and I even almost gave up, but finally got it installed on my rooted (stock recovery) Wifi tablet. I originally tried to update using fastboot erase-and-flash of the component img files extracted from the full system image, the same way I'd updated from 5.0 to 5.0.1 and then to 5.0.2. No good - I got the four balls bootloop on first try, and several subsequent tries. I could always still get to the bootloader tho, which is nice. Even flashing the full stock 5.1 image didn't solve the problem, and neither did flashing the stock 5.0.2 image, either components or flash-all.

The recovery mode log kept showing a string of errors, like this one: << E:failed to mount /cache >> (and similar).

Anyway, trial and error ... didn't want to hard reset... I learned I could revive my tablet using Wugfresh's NRT tool. At first I had to 'Flash Stock & Unroot' with the 5.0.2 factory image. This brought me back to life, although I lost all my data, even tho I chose the No Wipe option. Not real bothered, really. I did the same thing again with the 5.1 image, but it again softbricked/bootlooped me. :(

I finally fixed it for real by using the 'Force Flash' mode with 'No Wipe' UN-checked in the Nexus Root Tool ... with the older 5.0.2 image, then after that was fine and dandy, I did the exact same thing again with the 5.1 image. It didn't work the first time, but I tried the whole 2 flashes again, and I now have a tablet with 5.1 running fine and rooted (with CF).

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just got the 5.1 update notice on my wifi nexus 7. Had trouble with the download so will try later this afternoon.

If the message screen shows "waiting to download", don't do anything. Just let it run its course. It may take a while to start the download, but it will. Make sure you have a good wifi connection.

Posted via the Android Central App

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
If the message screen shows "waiting to download", don't do anything. Just let it run its course. It may take a while to start the download, but it will. Make sure you have a good wifi connection.

Make sure you are plugged in as well!

bmoliver

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Strange, NRT worked for me on the 1st try and didn't erase my data (5.0.2 -> 5.1). I had used NRT previously to update to 5.0.1 and then 5.0.2. For all these, I used NRT to re-root after the updates.

Roger Gibbens

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Got my download a couple days ago....smooth as butter and seems to have eliminated some of the battery drain issues. I am very pleased with this update, so far.

Stuart Andrew

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
I did the OTA upgrade from 5.0.2 to 5.1 (LMY470) a couple of days ago. My battery life has gone from an average of 2 days to 14 hours with no change to usage patterns. Quadrant Standard gives around 6250. I have no issues other than the battery life but it did take a long time to complete the download/upgrade process. I just left it alone with the power lead connected and let it do it's thing.

I just checked again after a battery recharge and some use afterwards and I now have close to 2 days forecast again.☺

Last edited:

TomD

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have stats on how many N7 Wi-Fi only models have been sold?

I wonder what algorithm they use to distribute updates. Last time I was about 3 days after updates started. This time it was more like a week.

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone running 4.4.4 got the OTA notification for 5.1? I still have the 5.0.2 notification, which I've been ignoring while waiting for 5.1.

Gw0lgn

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Same here I'm on KitKat 4.4.4 and have 5.02 waiting but no 5.1 as of yet. No way I'm putting 5.02 on after reverting back to KitKat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa