Are you going to upgrade to the Pixel 2?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It's bigger than the V30
Hmm. ...

Since the rumored screen size and aspect ratio are similar to the v30, if the XL2 phone is bigger, I guess that must mean the bezels must be a bit bigger. Unless the rumors are wrong of course..

jlo8720

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Still holding onto my N5x.

I will back up the dump truck and pre-order w/ rush shipping from Fi as soon as its available. Expecting to be $925 or so all in.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think I am going to pass. Due to me still paying for my original Pixel, I probably shouldn't bury myself even deeper. Otherwise, it seems like a good device.

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
After watching the Apple conference YES. A Pixel 2 with bezels is still going to look nicer than the iPhone 8, which has even larger bezels and a 720p display. Wireless charging though - Google, why did you drop that?

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, if Ruddocks word-on-the-street is correct, my answer just turned to NO:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/6zpepn/david_ruddock_oh_by_the_way_word_on_the_street_is/

So, what's the problem? Verizon was the only carrier authorized to sell the Pixel and Pixel XL. That didn't mean you had to buy the phone from Verizon, or that it wouldn't work on other carriers. I bought my Pixel XL from the Google Store and Project Fi is my carrier. My second choice for carrier would have been T-Mobile.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have an objection to exclusivity arrangements tout court.
So, yes, as long as the arrangement stands, I'm out.
Luckily it's not exclusive, just like last year, if this rumor is even true, it can be purchased by anyone and everyone and used just about anywhere.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have an objection to exclusivity arrangements tout court.
So, yes, as long as the arrangement stands, I'm out.

Sounds a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face, no? You can get your first choice phone directly from Google, working perfectly on the carrier of your choice, but you are choosing not to because of a business arrangement?

There are plenty of good phones this year, so you have good other choices, but if it was me, I would just get the best phone for me. I couldn't care less about all that other stuff ..

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Sounds a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face, no? You can get your first choice phone directly from Google, working perfectly on the carrier of your choice, but you are choosing not to because of a business arrangement?

There are plenty of good phones this year, so you have good other choices, but if it was me, I would just get the best phone for me. I couldn't care less about all that other stuff ..
Exactly. It was never taken away as an option from anyone in the US markets. Anyone can buy it and use it on whatever network they want (except some tiny MVNO, etc). Who cares who is paying for the advertisements?

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
That's about the silliest thing I've read on the internet recently: "I'm going to refuse to buy the best phone because I dislike one multi-billion dollar company's business/marketing arrangement with another multi-billion dollar company!" Seriously?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So, what's the problem? Verizon was the only carrier authorized to sell the Pixel and Pixel XL. That didn't mean you had to buy the phone from Verizon, or that it wouldn't work on other carriers. I bought my Pixel XL from the Google Store and Project Fi is my carrier. My second choice for carrier would have been T-Mobile.

The problem being that the tag line: 'only at Verizon' deterred an unknown number of people from getting the device, not knowing they could get it by other means. I had a guy at work ask me when I switched to Verizon when he found out I got a Pixel. So if he thought that, how many other people did too?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The problem being that the tag line: 'only at Verizon' deterred an unknown number of people from getting the device, not knowing they could get it by other means. I had a guy at work ask me when I switched to Verizon when he found out I got a Pixel. So if he thought that, how many other people did too?
Yeah it's unfortunate that the deal exists, but won't stop me from buying if I decide that's the phone to get.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

You're right, that's definitely misleading. In fact, I had to "educate" a very nice Best Buy employee not long after the phone's debut. He saw me looking at the Pixel on display and started telling me about it. I didn't want to waste his time, so I explained I was just browsing while I waited for my daughter, and I added that I already had the Pixel XL. He showed interest, so I brought out the phone, showed him some pictures I had taken, etc. He was impressed, and said he'd really like to have a Pixel but he didn't want to switch to Verizon. I explained how he didn't have to use Verizon as his carrier if he didn't want to, that "exclusive" in this case really didn't mean exclusive. He was grinning from ear to ear by the time I finished explaining.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez