Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL Pre Order / Shipping Discussion

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
does ontrac require a signature?

I never had to sign for an ontrac delivery, but those were all Amazon orders. I don't know if Google specified signature required or not. No idea if that's even an option with Ontrac.

augh, still out for delivery...the wait!!! lol

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
You are right, it does on my XL, but it is worse on the XL 2

Here is a video:
https://youtu.be/5XBDM9s1r6c

Even with the video I disagree with you, I feel like its pretty much the same, but there are plenty of factors at play including personal preference, and i just feel like I'll be okay with it. Sorry that you are having issues with it though. Nothing worse than getting a new toy and finding things you hate about it :(

themollusk

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Did your order happen to include a trade-in kit? I have two orders, one w/trade-in and one without. I had the option to expedite shipping on the regular order, but the option didn't appear for the order including the trade-in kit. Odd, because the kit doesn't ship with the phone.....

Pigman

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Even with the video I disagree with you, I feel like its pretty much the same, but there are plenty of factors at play including personal preference, and i just feel like I'll be okay with it. Sorry that you are having issues with it though. Nothing worse than getting a new toy and finding things you hate about it :(

Holding the 2 phones side by side, the 2 turns a darker blue faster than the 1 held at the same angle. Again though it is more noticeable, in my case not a deal breaker.

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Holding the 2 phones side by side, the 2 turns a darker blue faster than the 1 held at the same angle. Again though it is more noticeable, in my case not a deal breaker.

how about the reported graininess in low light/dark in some reviews? OG Pixel XL vs XL2

Pigman

May 27, 2011
Visit site
how about the reported graininess in low light/dark in some reviews? OG Pixel XL vs XL2

I am sorry, do you mean if I have the phone in low light the picture becomes grainy? I am at work, it will be hard for me to get into a low light situation.

mrjetpacks

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not a deal breaker at all. If my eye can recognize a blue tinge to the screen when I'm viewing the screen at the common angle I view a phone/device, that's a different story...but holding the phone at slight and weird angles to discover a blue hue. No. That's not why I'm upgrading to the Pixel 2 XL.

mrjetpacks

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm also curious...is the blue hue found on the Pixels screens...is that a defect, characteristic, or an intentional feature of these pieces of glass? (An approach to ease eye strain, maybe.) #iWonder

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm also curious...is the blue hue found on the Pixels screens...is that a defect, characteristic, or an intentional feature of these pieces of glass? (An approach to ease eye strain, maybe.) #iWonder

I believe its a characteristic of OLED, although how extreme the hue gets at certain viewing angles is dependent on the quality.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting mad, all of these posts from here and everywhere else on the internet about the xl's screen are making me want to go back to Verizon and play with it again just to see exactly what up with it lol. still 99% sure im keeping my preorder, but the Verge has an interesting article (and included photo) that makes me think 'wow how the h#ll did i miss THAT?"

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...6489756/google-pixel-2xl-awful-lg-oled-screen

Pigman

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I believe its a characteristic of OLED, although how extreme the hue gets at certain viewing angles is dependent on the quality.

I am not disagreeing with you, but on my LG OLED television, there is no blue shift at an angle. In fact the viewing angle is way better than any LCD I've ever seen. Is it because the pixels are so much smaller on a 6 inch screen vs. 65 inch?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I am not disagreeing with you, but on my LG OLED television, there is no blue shift at an angle. In fact the viewing angle is way better than any LCD I've ever seen. Is it because the pixels are so much smaller on a 6 inch screen vs. 65 inch?

I dont honestly know, I am making assumptions off of my own personal experience about that. Most OLD screens I've seen seem to give off a blue hue at extreme angles, where LED and LCD displays do not. They have different characteristics and sometimes poor viewing angles but ive only ever seen that blue hue change on an OLED screen.

My experience =/= truth tho.

jrodjrxbox

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
when you wake up at 6am and see a notification. that your pixel 2 has been shipped so them you fully open the email just to see your Amazon pixel 2 spigen case has shipped and not your phone 😭😭😭😭😭😭

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
when you wake up at 6am and see a notification. that your pixel 2 has been shipped so them you fully open the email just to see your Amazon pixel 2 spigen case has shipped and not your phone ????????????????????????????????????

Ouccchh :(.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
when you wake up at 6am and see a notification. that your pixel 2 has been shipped so them you fully open the email just to see your Amazon pixel 2 spigen case has shipped and not your phone ????????????????????????????????????

know that feeling. Today a box got delivered to work from verizon. I got REALLY excited thinking my phone shipped 2 weeks early. Nope, different person's phone :(

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I am sorry, do you mean if I have the phone in low light the picture becomes grainy? I am at work, it will be hard for me to get into a low light situation.

from the Ars review
The Pixel 2 XL display has a consistent "dirty" grain to it, and you can see it all the time if you know what to look for. But the dirt is most noticeable in a dark room with the screen at 0-percent brightness, which is a totally normal, "night-time" use case. Any time there's a solid color background—like, say, in a list with a white background—you'll see the grain. It jumps out when you're scrolling, when the text moves but the layer of grain is stationary. If you're not in the "night-time" scenario, the grain is much less noticeable. But if you look closely, especially during scrolling, you can see it is always present.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting mad, all of these posts from here and everywhere else on the internet about the xl's screen are making me want to go back to Verizon and play with it again just to see exactly what up with it lol. still 99% sure im keeping my preorder, but the Verge has an interesting article (and included photo) that makes me think 'wow how the h#ll did i miss THAT?"

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...6489756/google-pixel-2xl-awful-lg-oled-screen

That was Vlad doing a hatchet job on the 2XL...the screen was fine for Dieter Bohn from the Verge on his review...

https://youtu.be/q3wh1h17Yds

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I got my all black 2 XL today. Just was able to play with it for a few minutes at lunch. I didn't get the grainy feeling from the screen. Did some quick screen tests at all kinds of brightness and didn't notice anything that stood out to me. I did notice the blue tint when looking at the screen from an angle, but that didn't bother me. The phone overall felt great to me. Now I just gotta decide if I'm sticking with Apple or going Google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress