Does Samsung Gear S3 Work with Pixel 2s?

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I will be buying a Gear S3 watch mainly so I can use Samsung pay again.

Some searches on google showed that it did not work with or people had trouble using it with the Pixel 1.

Anyone have a Gear S3 watch and using it with your Pixel 2 / xl2 ?

JR Messina

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
I have the S3 and a Pixel 2 XL. While you lose a few features I have not run into any issues.
1. Texts will came through and you can respond but not via voice due to S voice not working. You will also only have the most recent texts show on the watch.
2. Google assistant will not function through the watch

So far that's the only missed features I have run into. I have had a few issues with the pixel connecting to my car Bluetooth when my watch is connected but this seems to be how the phone is handling Bluetooth priority and handoff.
Let me know if there is a specific feature you want me to check.

SAMSUNG PAY WORKS FINE.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I have the S3 Frontier with my pixel 2, I'm wearing it now have received all my notifications today email text, use Samsung pay a couple times today,answered phone , no problem. You can not however collect Samsung Rewards Samsung pay only works through the gear app on the pixel 2, you cannot install Samsung pay itself, that's priority two Samsung phones.

S Voice works fine for me, however I don't use it that often, it's not the best program,
Ok Google on the phone for me

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Cool, great to know that Samsung Pay is working with the pixel 2.

One other question comes to mind. I will be getting the Bluetooth version. If I am working out listening to an Audible on my Pixel via Bluetooth headphones can I also connect via bluetooth and check texts and emails on the S3?

I assume the watch does not have Bluetooth 5.0? That would be awesome because of the increase distance I could be away from my Pixel.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've got an S3/P2XL. It can connect to the phone and it works just fine. With the phone connected to my car's BT the S3 will remain connected to the phone and continue to show all notifications.

vblok0910#WP

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
I have a pixel 2 xl and gear S3 and it works intermittently, sometimes the notifications come through sometimes they don't, same thing with phone calls. I have done resets on both devices and still not working properly. Anyone else having these issues? Maybe it's Oreo?

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
The watch is fine but phone has a problem with speaker connecting with phone audio on and watch so I had to turn it off I'm still receiving all my notifications just can't answer the phone on my watch

milehigherik

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the S3 Frontier with my pixel 2, I'm wearing it now have received all my notifications today email text, use Samsung pay a couple times today,answered phone , no problem. You can not however collect Samsung Rewards Samsung pay only works through the gear app on the pixel 2, you cannot install Samsung pay itself, that's priority two Samsung phones.

S Voice works fine for me, however I don't use it that often, it's not the best program,
Ok Google on the phone for me

I get my Samsung reward points.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
No you cannot collect Samsung reward points on a non Samsung phone
Edit you get your points you just can't collect them in a gift card

Yeah this is what I've read from others. You can collect the points, but cannot redeem them.

kayfaei

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Not to highjack the thread but I'm finally ready to jump onboard the smartwatch train. is there any watch that would work great with pixel 2 and the home mini?

Caroline Thomas

Jan 10, 2018
Visit site
Hi,
I have a pixel 2 xl and gear S3 and it works intermittently, sometimes the notifications come through sometimes they don't, same thing with phone calls. I have done resets on both devices and still not working properly. Anyone else having these issues? Maybe it's Oreo?

I am having the same problem. Having a very difficult time with connection between the two devices especially when making/receiving calls. I have tried a bunch of stuff, basically everything but resetting the phone.. Please help!!

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same problem. Having a very difficult time with connection between the two devices especially when making/receiving calls. I have tried a bunch of stuff, basically everything but resetting the phone.. Please help!!

Go into bluetooth settings and turn off the toggle for the phone connection. You will then be able to get notifications and other connectivity stuff, you just wont be able to take call except reject them on your watch.

Receiving calls through the watch works for me, but then when I take or make a call on the phone 50% of the time I can't hear the other person. So I needed to turn off the phone connection in Bluetooth to the watch.

Everything else works but it would be very nice to be able to take calls on the watch. Then I could leave the phone upstairs while I go downstairs and take a call. Or be on the tennis court and take a quick call while my phone is in the bag. Would be super convenient.

Pixel probably not in a hurry to fix this to help Samsung. Although, unless fixed, I will move to the new Galaxy 9 when it is available.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a Gear S2 and it works fine with my Pixel 2 XL. Still retains Samsung pay but I just use Android Pay on my phone. It has to be NFC anyways and I started getting really annoyed with pulling it up on my watch only to find the app had updated and lost my card info...

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You can redeem them for purchase at Samsung just not gift or cash cards

Then how come it is allowing me to redeem these points to use in Samsung Pay as a prepaid credit card. I am using a Pixel 2 XL.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180111-083705.jpg
    Screenshot_20180111-083705.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 66

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Then how come it is allowing me to redeem these points to use in Samsung Pay as a prepaid credit card. I am using a Pixel 2 XL.
Wow it wouldn't let me ,I have other gift cards that won't even load , Dunkin Donuts Etc, wouldn't even give me the option for cash card

Well I stand corrected it loaded a cash card for me maby this was a correction in the last update

That's really good news

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I figured out a work around on how to use the watch as a phone without messing up the phone functionality.

Make call on pixel - just call and it works.

Answer phone on watch, just answer and it works.

Answer phone on phone - go to watch and send call to phone - then the phone will work. (if I answer phone with doing "send to phone" first the person on the other end can't hear me because the watch seems to have control over the phone)

Not perfect, but maybe one day Google will allow this feature to work properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty