Did anyone know if this is gorilla glass and if so what version
    11-13-2017 04:59 PM
    I don't know but I just dropped my phone and the back glass shattered. :/
    11-13-2017 05:33 PM
    Yikes
    11-13-2017 05:36 PM
    I don't know but my back glass has scratches on the edges already, camera lens too. To be fair I work in a machine shop and the the shavings/chips get all over
    11-13-2017 06:33 PM
    This is why I have a case waiting for every phone I buy, they go into cases immediately...
    DMP89145 likes this.
    11-13-2017 07:49 PM
    I hate cases but I've accepted that with my new job it's a must. Have one arriving tomorrow
    11-13-2017 09:09 PM
    I always buy a bunch of different cases and end up taking them all off and going without. I have insurance and this time I'm gonna try not to buy a single case
    11-13-2017 09:33 PM
    That's exactly what I did and I bitterly regretted it.

Look up this article from PC Magazine sometime: "The Great American Phone Insurance Rip-Off."

When my iPhone's screen shattered, I took it into the Verizon store and they said, "oh, no problem! You have insurance, so all you need to do is call this number and they will fix the screen for $49."

So I called the insurance (Asurion) and filed a claim. The accepted the claim and sent me an all-automated, online form on which the only option was to pay $200 deductible and get a new phone. I called back and the rep said, "Nope, you're not eligible to get your screen repaired. This is your only option."

Mind you, I could buy the exact same phone in great condition for 300 bucks on eBay.

Fuming, I went back to the Verizon store to tell them that 1) they had never told me there was a deductible on my insurance, and 2) that their promise of getting the screen fixed for 50 bucks was inaccurate. I said to him, "Between the installments to pay the phone off, the insurance payments I've made over the two years I've had the phone and the deductible, do you realize that this phone (iPhone 6 Plus) would have cost me $1,024 all in all? If someone came to you and offered you an iPhone 6 Plus for over a grand, would you consider that a fair deal?"

The rep just gave me a look of faked sympathy, said, "No, that would be a horrible deal, but there is nothing we can do for you."

Phone insurance is a scam. I will never get it again, and invest in a good case instead.
    osubeavs728, xzell and AlwaysAvril like this.
    11-13-2017 09:55 PM
    That's exactly what I did and I bitterly regretted it.

Look up this article from PC Magazine sometime: "The Great American Phone Insurance Rip-Off."

When my iPhone's screen shattered, I took it into the Verizon store and they said, "oh, no problem! You have insurance, so all you need to do is call this number and they will fix the screen for $49."

So I called the insurance (Asurion) and filed a claim. The accepted the claim and sent me an all-automated, online form on which the only option was to pay $200 deductible and get a new phone. I called back and the rep said, "Nope, you're not eligible to get your screen repaired. This is your only option."

Mind you, I could buy the exact same phone in great condition for 300 bucks on eBay.

Fuming, I went back to the Verizon store to tell them that 1) they had never told me there was a deductible on my insurance, and 2) that their promise of getting the screen fixed for 50 bucks was inaccurate. I said to him, "Between the installments to pay the phone off, the insurance payments I've made over the two years I've had the phone and the deductible, do you realize that this phone (iPhone 6 Plus) would have cost me $1,024 all in all? If someone came to you and offered you an iPhone 6 Plus for over a grand, would you consider that a fair deal?"

The rep just gave me a look of faked sympathy, said, "No, that would be a horrible deal, but there is nothing we can do for you."

Phone insurance is a scam. I will never get it again, and invest in a good case instead.
    Can your case prevent your phone from getting stolen or lost? Or maybe dropped in a lake?

Insurance is insurance. You pay it on your car too, some people never use it and are out tens of thousands of dollars. And I mean, if you didn't read your contract when they signed you up for it, that's on you.
    11-13-2017 11:23 PM
    This is why I have a case waiting for every phone I buy, they go into cases immediately...
    Smart!
    11-14-2017 12:09 AM
    So, ImTurningViolet, are you getting you phone fixed / replaced or just living with the damage?
    11-14-2017 08:01 PM
    So, ImTurningViolet, are you getting you phone fixed / replaced or just living with the damage?
    I started an insurance claim right after it happened and by replacement will be here tomorrow before 8 pm. And the case I ordered will be here Friday.

I seriously can't believe I used my first accidental damage claim less than a month after getting my phone. I always go caseless and the last phone I broke was an s3.
    Edit- the deductible is $79 in case anyone is wondering.
    11-14-2017 09:22 PM
    I started an insurance claim right after it happened and by replacement will be here tomorrow before 8 pm. And the case I ordered will be here Friday.

I seriously can't believe I used my first accidental damage claim less than a month after getting my phone. I always go caseless and the last phone I broke was an s3.
    Well, that sucks, but it's still cheaper than a new phone. What case are you putting on?
    11-14-2017 09:36 PM
    It does suck!! I like this phone so much I would have been really bummed to keep the one I broke even though it's not that bad. Plus I'm paying a fortune for it. I want an undamaged one for as long as possible.
    I bought the Google cloth case in cement! I don't really like cases but I thought that one was really cool looking and I had a Target gift card so I thought why not.
    11-15-2017 04:50 AM
    It does suck!! I like this phone so much I would have been really bummed to keep the one I broke even though it's not that bad. Plus I'm paying a fortune for it. I want an undamaged one for as long as possible.
    I bought the Google cloth case in cement! I don't really like cases but I thought that one was really cool looking and I had a Target gift card so I thought why not.
    Well good luck, I hope your experience with the new phone goes better! Since you say you usually go caseless, I hope the case you now have doesn't seem too bulky for you. If it does, there are dozens more to choose from. Cheers!
    11-15-2017 08:47 AM
    I may have missed it, but ImTurningViolet who is your insurance through?
    11-15-2017 12:32 PM
    I put my Pixel 2 in a case as soon as I got it. I have a spare case as well. And being a case fiend or fanatic, I ordered 6 more cases on Fleabay (they were cheap). Right now I am worried that one loose stray sand particle is gonna scratch my screen since I don't have my screen protector yet, yikes!
    11-15-2017 12:37 PM

I feel your pain....when I bought the Droid X several years ago it went with me for and accidental swim within less then a week. I had no insurance but Verizon let me add it. I paid my deductible and got a brand new phone because refurbs weren't out yet.
    11-15-2017 12:41 PM

Can't like this comment enough.
    11-15-2017 01:05 PM
    I don't know but I just dropped my phone and the back glass shattered. :/
    NoooOOoOOOooOO!
    11-15-2017 01:27 PM
    Sorry that you're frustrated. This is the nature of insurance, of all kinds. I don't like that they don't give you the terms up front to read through before signing up, they put it in a link you can go find on the carrier's site. Not the best way to go about things.
    DesertTwang likes this.
    11-15-2017 01:30 PM
    Yup, that is a very good suggestion. If nothing else, I have learned that lesson. :-)
    11-15-2017 02:24 PM
    My replacement just arrived and it is a brand new Pixel 2. That's the other reason I thought I'd put in a claim now. So I didn't get a refurb.

I put my claim in Monday around 1 and today is Wednesday around 1 and my replacement is here. I bought the insurance through Google when I bought my phone, so it's Assurant. It was a good experience. Very easy!

I'm going to really have to force myself to keep the case on it. As least when I'm out of my house!

Sorry for the thread hijack, op.
    11-15-2017 04:19 PM
    I always get Squaretrade. Never used it but my Daughter has used it 3 times for shattered iphone screens. Well worth it. Only wish it covered loss or theft, but after a phone is over a year old I am not to worried about someone lifting it.
    11-15-2017 07:48 PM