Moved to iOS

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Idk about that...a lot of people who leave Android for iOS usually stick to it. I did say a lot, so there are people who go back to android. I was an iPhone user then android then iPhone and tried to go to the pixel 2 but returned to my iPhone X. To me iOS is just so cohesive (iMessage and FaceTime) and the form factor of the X is like no other device. The OLED screen is quite impressive and yeah iOS may be boring but the phone is pretty stellar. I think once android users who switch see how well iOS performs, they then start using the saying “it just works!”

For me it is just those damn notifications. I can't stand them on iOS. If that got fixed that would my biggest gripe (a few small ones would still exist but nothing game breaking).

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
For me it is just those damn notifications. I can't stand them on iOS. If that got fixed that would my biggest gripe (a few small ones would still exist but nothing game breaking).

Yup they suck, but for whatever reason I do not rely on them as much as I did on iOS. It’s actually kind of nice not having icons taking up my whole status bar. I have OCD with that on android and always have to clear them so I was always forced into checking my notifications. On iOS I can kind of take it or leave it. Going directly to the app with the badge icon tells me I have a notification as well so it’s not the biggest dealbreaker for me. Not enough of one to get me to leave iOS

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yup they suck, but for whatever reason I do not rely on them as much as I did on iOS. It’s actually kind of nice not having icons taking up my whole status bar. I have OCD with that on android and always have to clear them so I was always forced into checking my notifications. On iOS I can kind of take it or leave it. Going directly to the app with the badge icon tells me I have a notification as well so it’s not the biggest dealbreaker for me. Not enough of one to get me to leave iOS
Definitely not nice for me. I want to know emails, Reddit, and especially reminders. On iOS I only see the reminder notification if I remember to look at notifications... Which kind of defeats the purpose lol :p. On Android I see the icon at the top left and know I need to remember something with ease and from anywhere on the phone.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Definitely not nice for me. I want to know emails, Reddit, and especially reminders. On iOS I only see the reminder notification if I remember to look at notifications... Which kind of defeats the purpose lol :p. On Android I see the icon at the top left and know I need to remember something with ease and from anywhere on the phone.

The reminders can be on the widgets page which I use a lot on iOS. Also you will get an alert notification for the reminder.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The reminders can be on the widgets page which I use a lot on iOS. Also you will get an alert notification for the reminder.
Yeah but the widgets are also on a page that you have to go to specifically in order to see. If I pull my phone out of my pocket, unlocked, and start using it I won't see it unless I go to that specific spot. Pretty much destroys the point of a reminder.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but the widgets are also on a page that you have to go to specifically in order to see. If I pull my phone out of my pocket, unlocked, and start using it I won't see it unless I go to that specific spot. Pretty much destroys the point of a reminder.

The reminders app has a badge icon. Same thing as an icon in a status bar

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The reminders app has a badge icon. Same thing as an icon in a status bar
Not true. If I am not on that page to see the badge icon.. no reminder. Or if the app is in a folder I have to open the folder to find what badge is for what.

That's a lot of checking for a reminder that's supposed to remind me.. not me remind myself to check the reminder lol. On Android no badge. No nothing. Any app.. any screen.. top left in my face. No special spot to check.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Not true. If I am not on that page to see the badge icon.. no reminder. Or if the app is in a folder I have to open the folder to find what badge is for what.

That's a lot of checking for a reminder that's supposed to remind me.. not me remind myself to check the reminder lol. On Android no badge. No nothing. Any app.. any screen.. top left in my face. No special spot to check.

If reminders are so important to you it will be on your main home screen on iOS outside of a folder lol! The badge icons are bright right you can’t miss em! Especially on your main screen

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If reminders are so important to you it will be on your main home screen on iOS outside of a folder lol! The badge icons are bright right you can’t miss em! Especially on your main screen
Ah so I have to work around the OS for its lack of notifications / being bad? No thanks.

That's just reminders.. not all my apps so yeah lol. I'm glad you're okay with it.. I'm not.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Ah so I have to work around the OS for its lack of notifications not being bad? No thanks.

That's just reminders.. not all my apps so yeah lol. I'm glad you're okay with it.. I'm not.

It’s just different from what works for you. I’ve adjusted to the work around just fine, maybe you wouldn’t which is why your on android still. To me the cohesiveness with iMessage and FaceTime amongst my family and my iMac and iPad are more important to me than notifications. I haven’t missed an important one yet. If I did maybe my mind would change. To each is own!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It’s just different from what works for you. I’ve adjusted to the work around just fine, maybe you wouldn’t which is why your on android still. To me the cohesiveness with iMessage and FaceTime amongst my family and my iMac and iPad are more important to me than notifications. I haven’t missed an important one yet. If I did maybe my mind would change. To each is own!
To add-on... The notifications just aren't reminders. That's a prime example but it's how it also does separate notifications for every single thing.

Vlad really sums it up in the article he wrote here....

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/20/17029324/iphone-x-pixel-2-xl-apple-google-choice-anxiety

Android’s way of consolidating notifications from the same person or app is vastly superior to iOS’s massive bubble for every single message, Twitter like, or email. When I wake in the morning with the Pixel, I get a complete account of what I’ve missed just from my lock screen: a dozen unread emails, three Telegram chats, and maybe a DM from a colleague 10 timezones away. That same information load on the iPhone X is an endless scrolling list of puffy notification clouds.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
To add-on... The notifications just aren't reminders. That's a prime example but it's how it also does separate reminders for every single thing.

Vlad really sums it up in the article he wrote here....

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/20/17029324/iphone-x-pixel-2-xl-apple-google-choice-anxiety

I totally agree with the both of you they are a mess, which is why I ignore most of them and just go with the badge icon. I see a badge app icon on my gmail app with the number 10 and I know I have 10 new emails, click on the app and wallah there they are. I don’t even have my emails set up as a notification because it will take over my entire lock screen since iOS does not consolidate notifications properly...it’s an issue, I just learned to go directly to my apps

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Agree to all your comments
But even with android I felt it’s clumsy and it’s not as polished as iOS or Windows ui. I actually love windows mobile OS.
I hope I don’t end up like you - get bored with iPhone X after a few weeks. I’ve switched about a dozen phones in the last year and a half.

Oh wow, please keep us posted. I'm curious how this will go for you.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree with the both of you they are a mess, which is why I ignore most of them and just go with the badge icon. I see a badge app icon on my gmail app with the number 10 and I know I have 10 new emails, click on the app and wallah there they are. I don’t even have my emails set up as a notification because it will take over my entire lock screen since iOS does not consolidate notifications properly...it’s an issue, I just learned to go directly to my apps

I'm split on iOS notifications. I absolutely HATE they way they are lumped together. Or really not lumped together. But I also like not having them stare me in the face in the notification bar. That gives me anxiety more so than the badge icon. Because I just have it for my most important apps, and not every single app. Otherwise I'd spend all day clearing all those badge icons.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm split on iOS notifications. I absolutely HATE they way they are lumped together. Or really not lumped together. But I also like not having them stare me in the face in the notification bar. That gives me anxiety more so than the badge icon. Because I just have it for my most important apps, and not every single app. Otherwise I'd spend all day clearing all those badge icons.

That’s exactly what I was trying to explain, and yeah they aren’t lumped together that’s kind of the issue! They are lumped by the time of day which is stupid. If you have email notifications on the lock screen and get 20 emails there is 20 separate notifications which is ridiculous, so I choose not to enable that for mail, my badge app icon tells me how many new emails I have.

But yeah I agree I always had major OCD with the android status bar icons, always had to clear them. When I see people’s android phones with the entire status bar filled with icons I go crazy, not to mention now on the always on displays the same icons show up to stare you in the face 24/7. I feel like either platform I choose I’ll have my cake and eat it too so I settle with the small workarounds on iOS to keep myself tied into the ecosystem with family and my other Apple devices.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I guess if the user case is for notifications is low, the iOS system works well. I know in my case, it's not the best fit. I need my notifications to be functional throughout my day.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess if the user case is for notifications is low, the iOS system works well. I know in my case, it's not the best fit. I need my notifications to be functional throughout my day.

I agree. Notifications are essential for me and are one of the valuable parts of Android. I turn notifications off for applications where I find notifications to be meaningless. I only keep app notifications that are important to me.

vhl71

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I agree to all previous comments. That’s why I like the Windows phone very much. Notifications are in the drop down screen - all grouped by application. And no annoying status at icons or notifications splashing them on the lock screen. The glance screen on Windows shows the he number of unread items so nicely. You never had to touch the phone to see how many unread sms. Email or Whatsapp message you’ve.

Last edited:

Vega007

Dec 14, 2017
Visit site
There is no doubt about it that the way Android handles group notifications is vastly superior to iOS. Having said that, I totally get what popkurn611 is saying because that is how I handled using an iPhone. Instead of swiping left to see the barrage of "puffy clouds", you basically rely on the badges. Of course this is inferior to Android, but once you get used to it, it's not the worst thing ever.

But my gosh reminders are garbage in iOS. What is the point of setting a reminder when it just gets buried with all the other puffy clouds with no special something going on to actually remind you? I shouldn't have to rely on the app notification badge for a reminder.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It always boils down to this for me....

Try going to a web page and downloading a wav file and then download a video From YouTube and use that wav file as part of the soundtrack for that new video in an editor.

That will never be easy on an iPhone. Decision made.

It's basic functionality like this that give me hives when using ios.