Pixel 2 XL vs S9 hands on at Best buy

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree with everything you posted. I really liked my Pixel 2XL, and can see why people love it...but mine went back today. Why? Hardware. Not Samsung’s in this case, but Apple’s. The iPhone X (notch and all) has it all really. Fast performance, updates AND top of the line hardware. The S9 looks great too, but I’ll wait until they really step it up next time out.

As for the OP, I think you would be happier with the Pixel 2. Everyone’s needs and wants are different.

My wife just upgraded to an IPX from a 7+, she is an head while I’m #TeamPixel . It’s a nice looking phone, I’m not a fan of the notch but I don’t think it takes away from the phone either. She seems to like it but admits the pictures look better on my Pixel 2 XL, either way ENJOY

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
One more thing I forgot to mention in my OP, that fingerprint sensor on the S9 while in a better place than the S8 still sucks. It's slippery and hard to tell your finger is on it and very easy to smudge the camera lens. So that is another drawback to the S9. Where as the Pixel 2/XL fingerprint sensor is a lot like the one on my G6 which I love.

mwb1957

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
For the longest time I was Samsung's biggest fan, Having bought every iteration of the S and Note Series for years. The ridiculously long wait times before OS and security updates rolled out really drove me crazy but I couldn't do anything about it. As far back as I could remember I was all about the latest design, sleek looking, Amazing hardware in CPU, memory, storage, 3.5mm Jack, wireless charging and water resistance, etc. Then the pixel line came out and changed my perspective on what's important. I love the latest features and looks with new OS updates. The hardware is still top notch, camera is top of the line and it operates unbelievably smooth. Android P is looking to be gorgeous and I love the fact i know im assured to get it first the second it drops. While my Note 8 was a great phone, I would kick myself if I had to wait 6 to 9 months for an OS update. Everyone is different, What works for me may not for you or the next person, But I can say the Pixel Line permanently changed what I thought was most important to me in a phone. Like someone put it best in an article not long ago...I found my iPhone..

I agree.

I made a choice of the 2xl over the Note 8 last November. I do not regret my decision.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I do the same thing with Spotify. Unless you are running crazy high fidelity FLAC files which IMHO is a waste on anything without a quad DAC Spotify and/or GPM work well and sound great. I do download a few of my playlists for offline just in case but 1000 songs takes up less than 10GB. Between music, Google photos and apps I am only using 20GB most of the time and once photos backs up stuff I can always clear space. I figure if I do go with a Pixel 2, 64GB should be plenty for me.

Most people that listen to FLAC files don't have a QUAD DAC. That's is LG's specfic design.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Most people that listen to FLAC files don't have a QUAD DAC. That's is LG's specfic design.
HTC does it to, and I think there's a couple companies with a dongle that has a quad DAC isn't there?

I had an HTC 10 with one, the music sounded good but nothing different than what I've been able to get out of other phones with a good EQ but I was using Spotify.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
HTC does it to, and I think there's a couple companies with a dongle that has a quad DAC isn't there?

I had an HTC 10 with one, the music sounded good but nothing different than what I've been able to get out of other phones with a good EQ but I was using Spotify.
They are not QUAD dacs. That is a LG term because they use 4 chips. There are other hifi dacs out there. Actually the Pixel Dongle is pretty good but some prefer the HTC dongle.

Milt K

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Consider the immediate Security and Operating System updates for the Google Pixel vs the months long lag for Samsung.

Verizon has been consistently pushing out security updates (on Android 7.1.1) since the phone came out. I think the whole "no security patches" hype is a bit overblown. If you're on at least VZW, T-Mobile, or Sprint, you'll get the the security patches around 2-4 weeks after they are pushed out by Samsung. As for the platform updates, is there really that much difference between Nougat and Oreo? A lot of features (pip, etc.) that are in Oreo have already been in the Samsung Experience for awhile. Hell with Nova Launcher and Substratum, i can theme my Note 8 into a Pixel 2xl clone only with better hardware lol except for the dual front speakers and squeeze.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has been consistently pushing out security updates (on Android 7.1.1) since the phone came out. I think the whole "no security patches" hype is a bit overblown. If you're on at least VZW, T-Mobile, or Sprint, you'll get the the security patches around 2-4 weeks after they are pushed out by Samsung. As for the platform updates, is there really that much difference between Nougat and Oreo? A lot of features (pip, etc.) that are in Oreo have already been in the Samsung Experience for awhile. Hell with Nova Launcher and Substratum, i can theme my Note 8 into a Pixel 2xl clone only with better hardware lol except for the dual front speakers and squeeze.

Ok, and that is essentially what I would do, but at that point, what's better about the hardware. Screen and headphone jack? I mean, I've done that in the past with Samsung phones, hell I pretty much have done that on my G6 and yet the underlying software is still what's giving me fits. And now I am going on 3 months since my last update and 4 months behind on security patches so T-Mobile and LG are lagging behind there.

As I'm writing this on my computer there's a friggin Best Buy $100 off pre-order on the S9 ad staring me in the face lol.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I totally flip flopped today. I cancelled my pre-order and will stay with my Pixel. The S9 looked disgusting with slimy greasy finger smudges all over it. That was one issue. The other issue for me is it's still to thin and narrow and still outdated at launch with the OS. I'll keep with my Google juju and wait to see what tempts me later this year.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I totally flip flopped today. I cancelled my pre-order and will stay with my Pixel. The S9 looked disgusting with slimy greasy finger smudges all over it. That was one issue. The other issue for me is it's still to thin and narrow and still outdated at launch with the OS. I'll keep with my Google juju and wait to see what tempts me later this year.

Good choice. I've had a Note 8 and the software and camera was garbage. The phone likewise is too fragile for me as a daily driver compared to a Pixel 2.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Good choice. I've had a Note 8 and the software and camera was garbage. The phone likewise is too fragile for me as a daily driver compared to a Pixel 2.
It's fine if you don't like Note 8 but to call one of the best flagships on the market garbage is going a bit too far don't you think?

I have Note 8 and Pixel 2 XL. Both are GREAT phones.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

I’d have to agree with Lepa. The Note 8 might not have been your cup of tea but it is one workhorse of a device. I loved mine and miss it.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
It's fine if you don't like Note 8 but to call one of the best flagships on the market garbage is going a bit too far don't you think?

I have Note 8 and Pixel 2 XL. Both are GREAT phones.

Is it? Redundant software accounts (Google and Samsung), two app stores, apps you cannot uninstall and a physical button to an assistant that is negatively panned the world over.

While I will admit most people like the camera, in my own experience it wasn't able to capture anything that was moving, even slightly. The software and image processing of the Pixel takes shots that are far superior to the Note 8 in many ways. It's subjective, sure and I'll admit that.

But add in a curved display, glass back and a lack of support for affordable screen protectors, typical slowdown after a few months and it's clear that the Note 8 is all flash and no bang.