Would the P2 still be worthwhile this late in the game???

Garemlin

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
So I've been waiting patiently for my return to Android. Been on iOS for the last three years and I am pretty tired and bored of it.

So Best Buy has a pretty good deal on the P2 and P2 XL right now. $150 and $300 off respectively. No trade in or new line required. Add in the current trade in value of my 7+ and I could get the XL 64gb for $215 or the 128gb for $315. Broke up over 24 months of course.

Should I jump on this deal or wait it out for the P3? My worry is the P3 will not be that much of an upgrade. And may be a downright disappointment. And the other worry is by the time it drops the new iPhones will already have been announced and the value of my 7+ will probably drop. Good thing would be is promised upgrades for three years and the free added second year warranty. So that would take me until it was paid off with no loss of promo credits.

Should I go all in or wait it out?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi there! In my own biased opinion (especially since I bought a Pixel 3 in April), I think it would be well worth the jump to trade in your iPhone and snag that deal!

The Pixel 2, though almost a year old, would still be a worthwhile purchase choice at this point. Its Snapdragon is great and still manages battery efficiency; it will still get Android P and security updates for a long while yet; and it will still hold its own against present-day competition with its camera and stock Android software.

Of course, you can always wait for the Pixel 3 - I hear it will be great! - but you can spend a little less and get last year's Pixel without sacrificing too much at all as far as processor, etc. There may not be too much of a difference with the two to warrant waiting for the 3. It's all in how you look at it!

Let us know what you decide!

scotts9219

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I got mine a couple of months ago. Love it! If you wait, you will be paying full price and something better will be out within a month. That said, I'm looking forward to at least 2 years of mobile bliss with my 2XL.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
If you are on Verizon, I'm pretty sure there will be deals for the Pixel 3 as well from Verizon and best buy. In my opinion it's better to wait for Pixel 3 and get that at launch even though overall it may cost little extra.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I would jump in with the Pixel 2 at that price. It is an excellent phone and is buttery smooth, especially on Android Pie. The camera is second to none and all the updates. Unless you want latest and greatest get your preferrential trade in price on your iPhone and take the discount.

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Target is also offering $150 / $300 off the Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL in the form of Target gift card. Which is better than bill credits, imo. Sell your iPhone on Swappa. That's what I would do to reap the most benefit here.

Garemlin

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi there! In my own biased opinion (especially since I bought a Pixel 3 in April), I think it would be well worth the jump to trade in your iPhone and snag that deal!

The Pixel 2, though almost a year old, would still be a worthwhile purchase choice at this point. Its Snapdragon is great and still manages battery efficiency; it will still get Android P and security updates for a long while yet; and it will still hold its own against present-day competition with its camera and stock Android software.

Of course, you can always wait for the Pixel 3 - I hear it will be great! - but you can spend a little less and get last year's Pixel without sacrificing too much at all as far as processor, etc. There may not be too much of a difference with the two to warrant waiting for the 3. It's all in how you look at it!

Let us know what you decide!

Pretty much my thinking. They have had time to get the majority of the bugs worked out in the P2. I've been reading less and less of screen issues with the later releases. And it seems the P3 may not be an earth shattering upgrade. Kind of like the Galaxy S9 was to the S8. Worse case scenario is I have the P2 for a year or so and something drastic happens that would require a warranty replacement. I'd probably end up with a new P4 and only have around six months to wait for to get the P5.

Garemlin

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Target is also offering $150 / $300 off the Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL in the form of Target gift card. Which is better than bill credits, imo. Sell your iPhone on Swappa. That's what I would do to reap the most benefit here.

Guess it depends on how you look at it. That deal would bump my bill up by $37 in device payment installments. Doing the Best Buy deal would bump it up by $9. Current swappa selling prices are around $420. Subtract PayPal fees and shipping and I'd probably only end up ahead by $50 or so over the trade in value.

bchain996

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site

The Best Buy promotion is instant savings applied in the form of a down payment not bill credits

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So I've been waiting patiently for my return to Android. Been on iOS for the last three years and I am pretty tired and bored of it.

So Best Buy has a pretty good deal on the P2 and P2 XL right now. $150 and $300 off respectively. No trade in or new line required. Add in the current trade in value of my 7+ and I could get the XL 64gb for $215 or the 128gb for $315. Broke up over 24 months of course.

Should I jump on this deal or wait it out for the P3? My worry is the P3 will not be that much of an upgrade. And may be a downright disappointment. And the other worry is by the time it drops the new iPhones will already have been announced and the value of my 7+ will probably drop. Good thing would be is promised upgrades for three years and the free added second year warranty. So that would take me until it was paid off with no loss of promo credits.

Should I go all in or wait it out?

Definitely go for it , it's still one of the best devices available and if you can get a sweet deal then don't hesitate...I was lucky when I bought my pixel 2 xl brand new for 600.00

jlp0209

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
The Best Buy promotion is instant savings applied in the form of a down payment not bill credits

Really? So they give you $300 off the top? I remember there was a deal like that before because I took advantage of that on a P2 XL awhile back. Present day I thought it is the typical $300 off in the form of bill credits over 24 months. If it is $300 off the top / down payment, it is definitely a killer deal.

Garemlin

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Really? So they give you $300 off the top? I remember there was a deal like that before because I took advantage of that on a P2 XL awhile back. Present day I thought it is the typical $300 off in the form of bill credits over 24 months. If it is $300 off the top / down payment, it is definitely a killer deal.

This is $300 instant savings. That is why it is appealing to me. With my trade it it's almost $650 off. And the beauty of it is nothing will be a promotional credit. So I'm getting it for $215 and can pay it off at any time without worrying a losing promotional credits.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
No commitment really. Total of $635 off the price. Not in monthly promotional credits. So total price would be $215. I'll just pay it off in a few months and be done.

Agreed, for that price I would absolutely do it. Even if you traded it in on a P3 in a couple months you would probably come out ahead yet again.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Pretty much my thinking. They have had time to get the majority of the bugs worked out in the P2. I've been reading less and less of screen issues with the later releases. And it seems the P3 may not be an earth shattering upgrade. Kind of like the Galaxy S9 was to the S8. Worse case scenario is I have the P2 for a year or so and something drastic happens that would require a warranty replacement. I'd probably end up with a new P4 and only have around six months to wait for to get the P5.

Absolutely, I agree with you one hundred percent. If I had the S8, I wouldn't really see the need to upgrade to the S9 (though it is pretty awesome). If I had the S8 though, and the 10 came out - maybe. Skipping an iteration here and there, IMO, is good for saving money and also for getting a pretty intense upgrade when the time comes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez