Pie: Battery Life

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Did you just download the new update? It may take your battery a little while to adjust to everything.

I've had it since Tuesday or Wed...

Last night, I went to bed with the phone at 98% battery (I read some news articles on it after charging to 100%), it discharged to 93-94% by the time I got out of bed. I went for an hour-long walk listening to cached music over Bluetooth and using Fit to track my walk and it's currently at 83%. The phone came off charge at 11:00 last night, it's now 12:30 PM.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've had it since Tuesday or Wed...

Last night, I went to bed with the phone at 98% battery (I read some news articles on it after charging to 100%), it discharged to 93-94% by the time I got out of bed. I went for an hour-long walk listening to cached music over Bluetooth and using Fit to track my walk and it's currently at 83%. The phone came off charge at 11:00 last night, it's now 12:30 PM.

Hmm. I'm honestly not a battery expert, but if you post a screenshot of your battery usage over a 24-hour period, maybe we can all take a look and see if it isn't something else that's causing this drop.

Also, see if you get the same results while operating the phone in Safe Mode.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Hmm. I'm honestly not a battery expert, but if you post a screenshot of your battery usage over a 24-hour period, maybe we can all take a look and see if it isn't something else that's causing this drop

I'm not in any way complaining about the battery life, I find it to be very good...

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Awesome! I'm glad it's going well for you!

I think there was confusion on the vernacular. I was commenting on others complaining about the battery life when I said "odd". I felt mine was doing well, and found it odd that others were experiencing the battery drain they were...

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I think there was confusion on the vernacular. I was commenting on others complaining about the battery life when I said "odd". I felt mine was doing well, and found it odd that others were experiencing the battery drain they were...

Did you do the Beta or just download the final release? Apologies if you posted that fact already somewhere and I missed it. Just curious as to why the overnight differences... Maybe it's a factor of settling more over time or something.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Did you do the Beta or just download the final release? Apologies if you posted that fact already somewhere and I missed it. Just curious as to why the overnight differences... Maybe it's a factor of settling more over time or something.

No beta, just went to the final when I got the OTA...

elazar_13

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Battery life seems pretty good!
cfff0a87a0750e6dd88fe5d2cee0b566.jpg
e1725a56f985797e851311fdbb51f800.jpg

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Update: My Pixel 2 seems to be charging faster under Pie. Has anyone else experienced this change?

My Pixel 2 XL seems to take longer to charge. I will start recording charge times. I did this when I first got the phone for a month or two so I will be able to compare before Pie to after Pie.

As to battery life, I get the sense that it's marginally better with Pie but I need to take some data to know for sure.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
My Pixel 2 XL seems to take longer to charge. I will start recording charge times. I did this when I first got the phone for a month or two so I will be able to compare before Pie to after Pie.

As to battery life, I get the sense that it's marginally better with Pie but I need to take some data to know for sure.

Please let us know the results of your research!

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Easily get tho a day so it's fine in battery life. I was on beta since June so seems about the same as then.
As long as I make it to the day with battery to spare it's all good

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Easily get tho a day so it's fine in battery life. I was on beta since June so seems about the same as then.
As long as I make it to the day with battery to spare it's all good

Same here! As long as I have battery left at the end of the day, I'm good! Glad your battery performance is good!

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Well, this is strange. I decided to top off my battery this afternoon. I plugged it in at 81%. A half an hour later it had only charged to 87%. That amount of charge used to take 10 minutes with Oreo. After half hour on the charger I had expected it to be around 95%. I left the house, went to Best Buy, and looked and my battery was showing 90%! What? This is 15 minutes after I had seen it at 87%.

I'm definitely going to start monitoring this again.

I did see an article about the Original Pixels not charging rapidly but supposedly the Pixel 2's are unaffected and charge as normal. I don't think so!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, this is strange. I decided to top off my battery this afternoon. I plugged it in at 81%. A half an hour later it had only charged to 87%. That amount of charge used to take 10 minutes with Oreo. After half hour on the charger I had expected it to be around 95%. I left the house, went to Best Buy, and looked and my battery was showing 90%! What? This is 15 minutes after I had seen it at 87%.

I'm definitely going to start monitoring this again.

I did see an article about the Original Pixels not charging rapidly but supposedly the Pixel 2's are unaffected and charge as normal. I don't think so!

Could be a rogue app?

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I used to obsess about battery life, idle time, SOT but lately I just don't care that much just as long as my phone lasts a day under reasonable load.

Subjectively speaking, my experience with Pie in terms of battery life has been better than it was with Oreo. Screen brightness is much better with Pie's adaptive brightness and my SOT and battery life has not changed noticeably. Idle drain is also very low, about 0.6% per hour overnight.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I used to obsess about battery life, idle time, SOT but lately I just don't care that much just as long as my phone lasts a day under reasonable load.

I used to monitor it very closely as well, but the Pixel 2 XL has such a strong battery it's eliminated battery anxiety for me. I plug it in for 45 minutes or so every morning and go about my day.

Subjectively speaking, my experience with Pie in terms of battery life has been better than it was with Oreo. Screen brightness is much better with Pie's adaptive brightness and my SOT and battery life has not changed noticeably. Idle drain is also very low, about 0.6% per hour overnight.

I wish I got that. I've got my first data point for overnight battery idling since Pie and it's not good. I lost 15% battery in a little over 10 hours. 1.46% per hour loss overnight.

Geoffrey Wadsworth

Aug 15, 2018
Visit site
Battery life has been much worse on my Pixel XL. I have had it for two days and I am not pleased. Getting to work used to be a 5-10% battery usage. The last two days have both been over 20%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles