Google does not honor Pixel warranty

bodhica

Nov 30, 2019
Visit site
I purchased a Google Pixel 2xl on eBay, and then the camera stopped working (the main reason I bought the phone). I contacted Google who confirmed that my phone was originally bought from Google Fi and was still under warranty, and therefore eligible for replacement. Google transferred ownership of the phone from the original owner to me in their computer system, which is required to process a replacement. They requested my proof of purchase, which I provided. However, since filing my warranty claim 38 days ago, Google has refused to send me a replacement phone.

I have been transferred continuously from their tier 1 support to tier 2 and tier 3 support, all who will not give me a valid reason why they will not send me a replacement. Most recently, I have been told by two different tier 2 support representatives that Google will not issue a replacement because my phone was bought on eBay. However, I have confirmed with 7 Google phone representatives and 6 Google chat representatives that a Pixel phone that was originally bought from Google Fi and then resold on eBay retains its warranty. According to Google policy, reselling a Pixel phone on eBay that was originally purchased from Google does not void its warranty. Still, Google is denying my warranty claim for this reason, which is a violation of my warranty, Google policy, and my rights as a consumer.

Recently my IMEI was mysteriously blacklisted, and I could not use my phone for one week, whereas it had no such problem in the 6+ months I had owned it. Since Google is the original seller and service provider of my phone, they are the only company that could blacklist my IMEI. After contacting Google, my IMEI was suddenly and mysteriously removed from the blacklist. Google has confirmed that my phone is not blacklisted, and that my phone has not been reported lost or stolen. But Google has not said they were responsible for the blacklist, even though they are the only company capable of this.

I have spent upwards of 25 hours working on this matter, on the phone with Google support and corresponding with them by email. On two occasions I called Google Home and the representative was attempting to transfer my call to Google Fi, but Google Fi declined my transferred call. They refused to speak to me two times, with two different representatives. Recently I have experienced my support calls and chats suddenly disconnecting without explanation, something that has never happened before. Something strange is going on at Google support, and it seems the support representatives are acting manipulatively and dishonestly.

I am simply trying to get my phone replaced due to a hardware malfunction, which is covered under warranty. I am the owner of the phone in Google's computer system, I have provided Google my proof of purchase, and my phone has not been reported lost or stolen. There is no reason for Google to deny my warranty claim. However, I have been manipulated and misinformed by Google support staff, given conflicting information, ensnared in endless bureaucratic delays and excuses, and had my IMEI temporarily blacklisted. This is the worst experience I've had with any consumer product in my life.

I seem to have exhausted all my options to pursue this matter with Google support. What should I do next?

(Attached are screenshots of emails from two different Google support representatives denying my replacement because my phone was purchased on eBay, and also chat conversations with six different Google support representatives in which they say that a Pixel phone bought from Google and resold on eBay does not therefore void its warranty. I have also attached a screenshot of an email from Google confirming that my IMEI is not blacklisted, and my phone has not been reported lost or stolen.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191130-111656.jpg
    Screenshot_20191130-111656.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20191130-110946.jpg
    Screenshot_20191130-110946.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20191130-110758.jpg
    Screenshot_20191130-110758.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20191129-150300.jpg
    Screenshot_20191129-150300.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20191129-144147.jpg
    Screenshot_20191129-144147.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20191129-142856.jpg
    Screenshot_20191129-142856.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20191129-142120.jpg
    Screenshot_20191129-142120.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20191129-130910.jpg
    Screenshot_20191129-130910.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20191129-125338.jpg
    Screenshot_20191129-125338.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 19

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm sorry you have this experience ,but only suggestion is hire a lawyer take it to court or legal advice ,but then you have to ask is it worth it to you .

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I'm also sorry to hear you are dealing with this. But this is the reason you should never buy a phone on eBay and expect the receive all the normal warranty support that comes with buying the phone new. You have no idea how many hands that phone has gone through between the original owner and you. Buying phones in eBay is OK...as long as you know that you are buying from a third party and the consequences that come with that.

bodhica

Nov 30, 2019
Visit site
As mentioned, a Pixel phone being resold on eBay does not void its Google warranty. In this circumstance the consequence is the result of Google support violating their policy and warranty, not because I bought the phone on eBay.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
As mentioned, a Pixel phone being resold on eBay does not void its Google warranty. In this circumstance the consequence is the result of Google support violating their policy and warranty, not because I bought the phone on eBay.
I looked into this before I sold my 2XL phone and as far as I researched, only preferred care is transferrable. Unless you have something in writing from their warranty that states it's transferrable, I don't see how it can be covered. I have heard that if you were able to present the original bill of sale from the prior owner you might have some luck.

bodhica

Nov 30, 2019
Visit site
Google policy is that for the phone to be warrantied, it must have been originally purchased from Google. A phone that is
purchased from Google and then resold carries the same warranty, i.e. the warranty is unaffected by this change in ownership. The only exception to this is a phone that has been acquired through illicit means, such as when a phone is lost or stolen. Google has a number of ways to determine whether this is the case. In my case, Google 3rd tier support researched this and determined I was the rightful owner of the phone, and thereupon transferred ownership of the phone to me. They have also verified and communicated to me that my phone has not been reported lost or stolen.

Absent any possibility that a phone has been acquired through illicit means, there is no reason that Google would void or not honor its warranty on an undamaged phone originally purchased directly from Google. It is against their warranty and their policy. There are numerous reports of people who have bought their phone on eBay having Google honor their warranty, and every tier 1 support representative and supervisor I've spoken with has echoed this policy. However, in my case, for some reason, this is what's happening.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The phone was originally released over two years ago, but the warranty period is only for one year on new devices (90 days on refurbs), based on the original date of purchase. Depending on when the phone was first sold, it's possible yours is simply no longer covered. They also only cover it if sold through authorized third party retailers, which "eBay" is not.

Think of eBay like a mall, with individual stores making the sale through the site. Let's say, hypothetically, Best Buy listed one for sale there. Best Buy would be the retailer, and they are authorized by Google to sell the phone with full warranty. Right below that listing could be an identical phone being sold by a random person. In this case, that person would be the "retailer" and is not authorized by Google, nor would it have warranty. In neither case is eBay itself the retailer. They only provided the retail space for the sellers.

I also didn't find any mention of transferability in their warranty info, which should be expressly written if that is allowed.

https://support.google.com/store/troubleshooter/3070579#ts=7168940,7544605

Sorry, but I think you're out of luck on this one.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The phone was originally released over two years ago, but the warranty period is only for one year on new devices (90 days on refurbs), based on the original date of purchase. Depending on when the phone was first sold, it's possible yours is simply no longer covered. They also only cover it if sold through authorized third party retailers, which "eBay" is not.

Think of eBay like a mall, with individual stores making the sale through the site. Let's say, hypothetically, Best Buy listed one for sale there. Best Buy would be the retailer, and they are authorized by Google to sell the phone with full warranty. Right below that listing could be an identical phone being sold by a random person. In this case, that person would be the "retailer" and is not authorized by Google, nor would it have warranty. In neither case is eBay itself the retailer. They only provided the retail space for the sellers.

I also didn't find any mention of transferability in their warranty info, which should be expressly written if that is allowed.

https://support.google.com/store/troubleshooter/3070579#ts=7168940,7544605

Sorry, but I think you're out of luck on this one.
Pixel warranties were extended to 2 years because of the fuss made over their displays.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Pixel warranties were extended to 2 years because of the fuss made over their displays.
If that's the case, I'm surprised the warranty info both you and I linked doesn't reflect that. Without having an official written statement, it looks like the original one year warranty is still applicable.

But it does sound like we agree that purchasing through eBay voids any warranty and makes that whole discussion moot.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If that's the case, I'm surprised the warranty info both you and I linked doesn't reflect that. Without having an official written statement, it looks like the original one year warranty is still applicable.

But it does sound like we agree that purchasing through eBay voids any warranty and makes that whole discussion moot.
They made it public and well know that Pixel 2 warranties were extended. They didn't bother to change the base warranty statement. They even made an accommodation of sorts to people who bought the two year preferred protection plan in advance of the announcement.

bodhica

Nov 30, 2019
Visit site
I've composed a response to those who have commented, but have been prevented from posting my response, receiving this error:

"This post has been automatically been marked as spam. Please revise your post to either remove links and/or references to money."

Whereas my response contains no links or references to money, I'm not sure why I'm being prevented from posting my reply.

bodhica

Nov 30, 2019
Visit site
It seems there are many aspiring lawyers on this forum :)

Legalese is rarely as black and white as it seems. A legal document is subject to interpretation, and this interpretation can be affected by real-world circumstances and practices, the law, and case precedents. Therefore, those who have asserted a firm opinion about Google's obligations or lack thereof solely by reading and interpreting the text of its warranty do not have a conclusive basis for their certainty.

As I have explained above, Google's policy and practice is to honor its warranty on any phone that is originally purchased by Google, including instances when those phones are resold, and excluding instances where those phones are obtained through illicit means. The provision of Google's warranty that stipulates that Google's warranty will only be valid if the phone is bought from Google or an authorized retailer only applies to where the phone is originally purchased, and is unaffected by the phone being resold on eBay. This is the way the language of Google's warranty has been interpreted in practice by Google. I have confirmed this policy and practice through unanimous consensus among many Google 1st tier support representatives, and have not found any exception to this when researching online accounts of warranty redemptions from people who purchased their Pixel on eBay. In other words, contrary to what others here have asserted, Google's warranty is transferrable, and reselling a phone on eBay does not void its warranty. Given this pervasive practice by Google, from a legal standpoint Google is violating its warranty by denying my warranty claim.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Legalese is rarely as black and white as it seems. A legal document is subject to interpretation, and this interpretation can be affected by real-world circumstances and practices, the law, and case precedents. Therefore, those who have asserted a firm opinion about Google's obligations or lack thereof solely by reading and interpreting the text of its warranty do not have a conclusive basis for their certainty.

As I have explained above, Google's policy and practice is to honor its warranty on any phone that is originally purchased by Google, including instances when those phones are resold, and excluding instances where those phones are obtained through illicit means. The provision of Google's warranty that stipulates that Google's warranty will only be valid if the phone is bought from Google or an authorized retailer only applies to where the phone is originally purchased, and is unaffected by the phone being resold on eBay. This is the way the language of Google's warranty has been interpreted in practice by Google. I have confirmed this policy and practice through unanimous consensus among many Google 1st tier support representatives, and have not found any exception to this when researching online accounts of warranty redemptions from people who purchased their Pixel on eBay. In other words, contrary to what others here have asserted, Google's warranty is transferrable, and reselling a phone on eBay does not void its warranty. Given this pervasive practice by Google, from a legal standpoint Google is violating its warranty by denying my warranty claim.
The problem is they denied You , what you going do Now ?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Are you an aspiring lawyer too? Cool.

When it comes to stuff like this, there's only so much we can go on, and their own warranty statements are the biggest concern. I still stand by my opinion that something is going on preventing transfer of warranty. Either because it's simply not official policy, or perhaps your phone does have a questionable history about the original purchase. Whatever the case, Mike's suggestion about taking them to small claims court is one of the few options left to you. Another may be to report this to the Better Business Bureau. Complaining here will accomplish nothing, as we have no ties with Google.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Are you an aspiring lawyer too? Cool.

When it comes to stuff like this, there's only so much we can go on, and their own warranty statements are the biggest concern. I still stand by my opinion that something is going on preventing transfer of warranty. Either because it's simply not official policy, or perhaps your phone does have a questionable history about the original purchase. Whatever the case, Mike's suggestion about taking them to small claims court is one of the few options left to you. Another may be to report this to the Better Business Bureau. Complaining here will accomplish nothing, as we have no ties with Google.
I actually researched it heavily prior to selling my Pixel 2XL on Swappa so as not to misrepresent what I was selling to the buyer. The only thing that's transferrable is ownership, not warranty. If someone gets lucky because they get the right representative is certainly a possibility.
Somtimes you can also get lucky if you can provide the original bill of sale from the original owner. Samsung does the same thing, so does LG. I was able to get warranty service twice on my LG G5 purchased on Ebay but it was brand new from an authorized reseller.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Here is something else to consider, based on my experiences with Motorola phones. The warranty transfers to another user as long as the phone was never activated by the original owner. So if I buy a phone brand new on Motorola's website, never activate it, and sell it on Swappa or eBay the next owner has the warranty since I never activated the phone. Maybe that's what Google means by "transferrable"....if the phone was never activated, bought from Google and sold on eBay the warranty goes to the first user that activates the phone?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Here is something else to consider, based on my experiences with Motorola phones. The warranty transfers to another user as long as the phone was never activated by the original owner. So if I buy a phone brand new on Motorola's website, never activate it, and sell it on Swappa or eBay the next owner has the warranty since I never activated the phone. Maybe that's what Google means by "transferrable"....if the phone was never activated, bought from Google and sold on eBay the warranty goes to the first user that activates the phone?
I bought an S10 off Swappa brand new like you mention and I registered it online but I'm leery in the even i need service if they will honor it. I do have the original bill of sale.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
That's why I only buy my phones brand new SEALED in the box from authorized sellers.... never from individuals. Most companies only warranty a product to the original buyer.

Sometimes in situations like this the money you think you're saving costs you more in the end in terms of time, frustration, stress, and having a device only last a very short period of time. That's why I find the very best deals (and I find some good ones lol) on brand new SEALED items. The hassle of saving a few extra bucks by buying super cheap off scamBay or ScAmazon isn't worth it to me.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

the big question is, how much of the warranty was left when you took ownership of the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non