Android 11 screenshots

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I know that this subject is covered in another thread but since the subject is a very large part of it, it is my suggestion that the subject would be better served if it had its own thread. I know that screenshots are a very important part of my daily routines and probably others as well. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, what subject are you talking about? Are you asking how to take a screenshot in Android 11?

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, what subject are you talking about? Are you asking how to take a screenshot in Android 11?

The problem I was having is that after all the reassurance that the new method of getting a screenshot would work, I took the plunge to upgrade to 11, even though I wouldn't be able to revert back to 10.
On my smartphone,none of the methods worked. No matter which navigation method I used, 0,2, or 3 button, could I get the swipe up to reveal the screenshot option on the left. Since I had been using 2 button navigation, I was not familiar with the new icons at the bottom of the screen. After hours of poking around, I found that the method used to get the screenshot
option was not exactly as described in the instructions or the many posts about this issue. Once I realized that the far right icon performed like the swipe up with the 2 button navigation, I saw the light.
Not withstanding the above, why Google would change the screenshot procedure is mystifying. With only one hand useful, pressing 2 is impossible for me. That's the reason I gave up on my laptop. Thanks for reading my rambling post.

Smokeaire

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
The problem I was having is that after all the reassurance that the new method of getting a screenshot would work, I took the plunge to upgrade to 11, even though I wouldn't be able to revert back to 10.
On my smartphone,none of the methods worked. No matter which navigation method I used, 0,2, or 3 button, could I get the swipe up to reveal the screenshot option on the left. Since I had been using 2 button navigation, I was not familiar with the new icons at the bottom of the screen. After hours of poking around, I found that the method used to get the screenshot
option was not exactly as described in the instructions or the many posts about this issue. Once I realized that the far right icon performed like the swipe up with the 2 button navigation, I saw the light.
Not withstanding the above, why Google would change the screenshot procedure is mystifying. With only one hand useful, pressing 2 is impossible for me. That's the reason I gave up on my laptop. Thanks for reading my rambling post.
I'm not sure why the explained methods didn't work for you.
The changed methods that are demonstrated in the YouTube Android 11 Beta reviews work just "as seen on tv" for me without issue.
Did you try asking Google Assistant to take screenshots? It works great, even using my Bluetooth earpiece.
Anyway glad you got it working.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I didn't view the YouTube video but the Assistant TAKE A SCREENSHOT still doesn't work and the error message only flashed on for a second so I can't read it or take a screenshot. Thanks

Smokeaire

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I didn't view the YouTube video but the Assistant TAKE A SCREENSHOT still doesn't work and the error message only flashed on for a second so I can't read it or take a screenshot. Thanks
Interesting. Below is a screenshot using Google Assistant. So I don't know what could be your issue.
1400f6ad16fae2b6a4de9f476dbc0177.jpg

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't either. The American repeats the command, flashes an error message that is not on the screen long enough to be able to read it. I'm using the 3 button navigation system.
I'm able to take screenshots the other way but being able to use the Assistant is much more useful. I guess I'll just have to live with it.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why the explained methods didn't work for you.
The changed methods that are demonstrated in the YouTube Android 11 Beta reviews work just "as seen on tv" for me without issue.
Did you try asking Google Assistant to take screenshots? It works great, even using my Bluetooth earpiece.
Anyway glad you got it working.

Okay, I'm back (g)

How do you use Assistant. I've probably using the wrong method. I've got the Google Widget. If I press the Mic or the colorful dots, I get an Assistant Screen and if I ask for a screenshot, I get a shot of the Widget screen and not original underlying app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200910-145123.jpg
    Screenshot_20200910-145123.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 15

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I use the Assistant by different methods depending on where I am. I either use HEY GOOGLE, squeeze, or use the icon on the search bar. I have no idea where the widget you describe is located.???

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I finally got to read the error message. It says ASSISTANT DOES NOT HAVE ACCESS TO SCREENSHOTS. I've checked all the settings I can think of. I don't know what else to check. TAKE A PICTURE works fine.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
If you are using 3 button and not gestures, simply click the 3rd button square. This is what pops up when I do. Then I just click screenshot button on the lower left. No swiping needed.

Screenshot_20200911-144628 (1).jpg

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
One interesting tidbit I noticed:

If using the volume down/power button method, the screen captures my notification bar and the 3 button bar.
If using the screen shot button, the screen capture does not capture the top notification bar or bottom 3 buttons. There is still space there, but just blank. I wish it would crop the top and bottom as well automatically.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I was able to get to enable the screenshot, but was unable to find how to give Assistant permission. What am I doing wrong.
Go to settings - apps - select all xxx apps - select Google and make sure that the storage permission is enabled.
Screenshot_20200911-170240.jpeg

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I finally got to read the error message. It says ASSISTANT DOES NOT HAVE ACCESS TO SCREENSHOTS. I've checked all the settings I can think of. I don't know what else to check. TAKE A PICTURE works fine.

I also get a very quick multiline message that I don't have time to read but something to the effect of "you need to enable Assistant.... and something about Google Search????"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty