Is the Pixel 3 the 2018 Phone of the year?

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I’m not trying to tell everyone how wrong they are I’m just annoyed at the lack of objectivity towards the Pixel’s pitfalls whereas the iPhone gets lambasted for the same things.

The arstechnica review was the honest review that nobody wants to acknowledge. Google doesn’t know how to do hardware period. They have the software down pretty solid but the design choices they made are not in line with the rest of the phones from 2018.

First, why would you want the design choices to be inline with the rest of the phones this year? Should they all be the same? I want something that isn't the same as everyone else has. And for my wants and needs, the Pixels tick all the right boxes for me. I'm sorry it isn't what you want, but I don't generally take what you want into consideration when I'm buying something for myself. But I guess I'm doing it wrong.

Second, you're mad because some people give a pass to the Pixel but not the iPhone for the same things and you're calling people's objectivity into question. Sorry, but there are plenty of iPhone fans who aren't objective either (and in actuality that applies to pretty much every tech camp). How many iPhone fans dismissed wireless charging, because it wasn't true wireless, but now that it's on the iPhone it's the greatest. Or who would want a phone that size? But now, it's all about the big phones. And IIRC didn't they defend not putting more RAM in their devices because the iPhone didn't need it? So let's not pretend this is all one sided, ok? But the difference is, I don't go to iMore or 9to5Mac and rail about the hypocrisy of iPhone fans.

Topweasel

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I’m not trying to tell everyone how wrong they are I’m just annoyed at the lack of objectivity towards the Pixel’s pitfalls whereas the iPhone gets lambasted for the same things.

The arstechnica review was the honest review that nobody wants to acknowledge. Google doesn’t know how to do hardware period. They have the software down pretty solid but the design choices they made are not in line with the rest of the phones from 2018.

It's hard to take a review seriously when it is needlessly hateful and spiteful. I have been reading Ars off an on for nearly 20 years now and I was ashamed to read that review. You can have a negative review without it reading like a hit piece. He has valid concerns and most have come up from here. But in no way is the hardware as bad as he implied, it can't be. Therefore that review loses its legitimacy and therefore easy to ignore.

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
How are we proclaiming this "the phone of the year" before it even ships? Do we know that it won't have bluetooth issues? WiFi issues? Battery issues? Screen issues? Who knows what issues may be uncovered once this phone is in the hands of the general population. Before we even get out of the gate, I'm hesitant to award "phone of the year" to any manufacturer who believes my internal storage should be capped at 128GB and asks me to pay an additional $100 for $15 worth of memory.

richonlyne

Oct 16, 2018
Visit site
Poco F1... mainly because it brings some degree of sanity to the prices asked of mobile phones these days.
Yes it has flaws but so do most of the flagships churned out by the big players.

randyw

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
My choice is the Note 9. The hardware, the storage, cooling system. The Pixel is not even a choice for me because of the Verizon exclusive.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
How are we proclaiming this "the phone of the year" before it even ships? Do we know that it won't have bluetooth issues? WiFi issues? Battery issues? Screen issues? Who knows what issues may be uncovered once this phone is in the hands of the general population. Before we even get out of the gate, I'm hesitant to award "phone of the year" to any manufacturer who believes my internal storage should be capped at 128GB and asks me to pay an additional $100 for $15 worth of memory.

There will always be SOME minor issues sprinkled across the masses upon release to the general public, but mostly things that will be cleaned up with an update. Legitimate gripe on the storage, but that's little to do when grading baseline to baseline.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I don't think it's a proclamation. I think it's speculative.

If you don't think it's worth the money is really a sperate issue, though I get the temptation to include it.

Last edited:

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
Since I’m an iPhone user, X🅂 max but I’d say the Note 9 would be a heavy contender then possibly the One Plus 6 or 6T heck even the Razer Phone 2 offers more than the Pixel.

Uh... I'm going to agree the XS Max is up there for sure, but the OnePlus line? Not just no, but hell no. Like I wouldn't be surprised to see the gods rip out their eyes after seeing OnePlus put up in the category of flagship phones. That's not even remotely true. There are as close to 0.0% of consumers who are considering a top end flagship, who are then looking at OnePlus and saying, "no, that's a better phone". They might see a better value, but value is not the definition of "best". Best can be defined without any concept of price being involved because it's a measure of quality. Quality vs Price is a value argument and they do not influence each other in ranking.

I don't believe we can say any one phone is the best device out there for everyone, so I tend to make a top 5 list and suggest that anyone choosing from the top 5 is probably going to be happy with whatever they got.

Top 5 list
New iPHones
New Pixels
Samsung Note or S 9 series
iPhone X
LG V40 or Pixel 2 XL, marking these two as a tie.

OnePlus has never been on that list and, unless they change a lot about their business, they never will be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez