Pixel 3 XL - Verizon Locked (Update: Blog Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Pixel 3 XL - Verizon Locked (Update: Blog Posting)

Yes.. you said do you lose any of that and I said no you don't.
Just wasn't sure I mentioned all of them. Weird u don't get them on unlocked Note9. I believe you Im just surprised

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Just wasn't sure I mentioned all of them. Weird u don't get them on unlocked Note9. I believe you Im just surprised

Because Verizon doesn't fully support unlocked phones. They sell the Pixel so they make an exception.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

No question then gotta buy unlocked version. No advantage at all to VZW version unless they have a sale or something

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

Personally I think it's to keep their own customers from switching. By locking the device it would stop people from taking the phone to another carrier and canceling their service. Only way I can see them justifying locking their device was those on a device payment plan. That would be to ensure the customer is forced to use it on their Network until it's paid off.
Let's not forget too, that Verizon probably paid a pretty penny for the exclusive. Why would they want to sell phones to people that are not their customers? Making it inconvenient to other carrier customers to buy Verizon phones makes sense to me. It allows them to make sure they have plenty of phones for customers on their network, and that they have more choices of ways to buy.

I get that it has not been this way recently, and their are spectrum issues blah blah blah, but damn people are entitled these days. And this is a case where there are easy options to buy without the issues.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Personally I think it's to keep their own customers from switching. By locking the device it would stop people from taking the phone to another carrier and canceling their service. Only way I can see them justifying locking their device was those on a device payment plan. That would be to ensure the customer is forced to use it on their Network until it's paid off.

Not if the lock really is a 24 hour lock. So you stop them for .. 24 hours .. really? lol :p.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Agreed even though it sucks Verizon started doing this again, other carriers suck as well and their phones are sim locked whether you pay full or not. Sure you can unlock them but every carrier also have policies like TMobile official policy is to unlock after 30 or 40 days on network but generally contacting T-Force on Twitter they sim unlock in a day or two via the T-Mobile sim unlock app that's preloaded on T-Mobile branded phones. It's not like other carriers are any better.

And I don't get blaming Google, they are selling unlocked model right on at store.google.com and it's not like it's out of stock or anything. Sucks that Verizon started doing this but there are options.

Also.... ^ This

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Pixel 3 XL VERIZON

There was an article sometime back on Droid life that they will start sim locking but said it's still not effective yet. May be they started doing that now?

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/09/...-phones-for-60-days-or-life-of-payment-plans/

"The new unlock policy hasn’t yet replaced their publicly posted policy (here), but Verizon was showing the new policy yesterday on device pages. They have since removed links to it. However, we were able to access it again today on some of their Spanish device pages, thanks to our friend, Google cache.

The new postpaid policy will be put in place to “prevent identity theft and other fraudulent activities,” according to Verizon. They plan to SIM lock devices for 60 days after purchase if purchased at full retail or from a retail partner, so that they can’t be used on another network. Once 60 days is up, the lock will be “automatically” removed."

Yep. It's this.

Totally violates their agreement with the FCC.

But the current FCC won't do anything about it.

Also - 60 days is too long. If they absolutely had to this because of theft, 1-2 days max.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Not if the lock really is a 24 hour lock. So you stop them for .. 24 hours .. really? lol :p.

If 24 hour, or must activate on Verizon first, then I think it's OK. Maybe it's easier to track down if actually stolen?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

No question then gotta buy unlocked version. No advantage at all to VZW version unless they have a sale or something

The Verizon version is more likely to go on sale so..... Heck you can bill credit BOGO (on bill credit) the Verizon version. You can get Best Buy and Target gift cards for buying the Verizon version.

So yeah.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

With other brand phones on VZW if you buy unlocked version you cannot access Verizon features like advanced calling and maybe vzw voicemail (not sure but I know u lose some features). If you buy unlocked Pixel 3 could there be any VZW features you cannot access?

More likely WiFi calling on those other brands wouldn't work but the last unlocked phone I used on Verizon was the Motorola Moto X Pure Edition (third gen) and Advanced Calling and Visual Voicemail both worked just fine.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Yes, Verizon is going back to its old ways of chaining customers to its network and being the most customer unfriendly network in the US. They make a small point about protecting itself against fraud, but mostly to make you go through hoops to get it unlocked so you can move to another network or sell it.

Verizon sucks azz, always has always will.

ZayMoney

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site

Yeah they do suck. That's why I paid them off and left. Only reason I went to best buy is because they had it available to buy outright for in store pickup. I'm over it though. Just gonna pick up the XZ3 this weekend. Thanks everyone for your feedback

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Had a notification this morning saying CARRIER LOCKED REMOVED.
Everyone can calm down now and put the pitch forks away. LOL

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Carrier lock removed

Purchased yesterday from best buy.
Read the horror stories of it being carrier locked to Verizon.

Woke up this morning to a notification saying carrier lock removed.
Immediately felt vindicated. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.