Are people complaining to Google about the awful audio?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Audio in the 3XL (not the regular 3) is not that great. Sure, it may be louder but they are not really stereo sounding as the one of the speakers on the top let's put less noise when compared to the one on the bottom. Sound is also not as crisp as you might get with other stereo speakers.

Will Google fix these? I don't think so. They already told the the fact that the top speaker lets out less noise is by design. But agree the speaker setup isn't great, just a good quality.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Audio in the 3XL (not the regular 3) is not that great. Sure, it may be louder but they are not really stereo sounding as the one of the speakers on the top let's put less noise when compared to the one on the bottom. Sound is also not as crisp as you might get with other stereo speakers.

Will Google fix these? I don't think so. They already told the the fact that the top speaker lets out less noise is by design. But agree the speaker setup isn't great, just a good quality.

I believe this thread was about audio recording not the speaker output

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I wish more reviews, including those on this site, would discuss this issue of audio recording to put a little more pressure on Google. Again, I really want this phone, but don't think I can overlook this awful sounding audio.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I wish more reviews, including those on this site, would discuss this issue of audio recording to put a little more pressure on Google. Again, I really want this phone, but don't think I can overlook this awful sounding audio.

Google is aware....I'm not sure more reviews would make a difference in how they handle it. If no one bought the phone that might make a difference.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Google is aware....I'm not sure more reviews would make a difference in how they handle it. If no one bought the phone that might make a difference.

But if more reviews were discussing this, it could make Google concerned about the impact of bringing that to the attention to potential buyers, which could impact their sales. Just my thoughts. Either way, the reviewers are doing a disservice to their readers by ignoring it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
But if more reviews were discussing this, it could make Google concerned about the impact of bringing that to the attention to potential buyers, which could impact their sales. Just my thoughts. Either way, the reviewers are doing a disservice to their readers by ignoring it.

Maybe, maybe not. I've seen it mentioned in lots of reviews and youtubers. I don't know how many reviews is enough to make a difference . I think phone sales and returns speaks more loudly.

For my only personal use case I don't care enough about video audio that it makes a difference in my day to day usage. Would I like to see it improved?....of course.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Maybe, maybe not. I've seen it mentioned in lots of reviews and youtubers. I don't know how many reviews is enough to make a difference . I think phone sales and returns speaks more loudly.

For my only personal use case I don't care enough about video audio that it makes a difference in my day to day usage. Would I like to see it improved?....of course.

I've certainly not seen in mentioned in plenty more reviews than I have (and of course, I shared 2 of the main YouTube reviews that people typically reference when they do bring it up as an issue). Overall, I now that for some like you it is not a huge issue. But my point is that I expect those who review the phone to consider an issue like this and point to it as a weakness. Then let the consumer decide whether it's a significant enough issue to impact their decision.

I was lucky enough to come across the issue because I tend to like SuperSaf phone reviews, but with most reviews not saying a thing about it, I could have easily purchased the phone and been highly disappointed by the audio recording. I just think as a reviewer it's a big miss to not address the audio recording when taking a video.

And I think when a site like Android Central recommends the Pixel 3 XL as the Best Android Phone of 2018 and claims they are giving "you all the information you need to choose the right one" in their comparison, and doesn't even mention it as a weakness of the phone, again they are doing a disservice to their readers.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I've been burned more than once by reviewers missing obvious and glaring defects. The only solution I can think of is to not pre-order or be an early adaptor. Wait 6 months and see what has been fixed and what has not and make your decision. Maybe you'll even get a price drop. Need a phone right now? Then purchase one that's been out a while.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I've certainly not seen in mentioned in plenty more reviews than I have (and of course, I shared 2 of the main YouTube reviews that people typically reference when they do bring it up as an issue). Overall, I now that for some like you it is not a huge issue. But my point is that I expect those who review the phone to consider an issue like this and point to it as a weakness. Then let the consumer decide whether it's a significant enough issue to impact their decision.

I think it depends on with reviewers you watch on YouTube. I know Dave Lee brought it up in his review, UrAvgConsumer did as well in his review. IMO though, to your point, most don't thoroughly review most devices. Most of the time they hit 2 or 3 features, keep the video between 6-12 mins, and then just move on.

I know most YouTube reviews aren't as holistic as I'd like either. Some of the things I'd like for them to touch on, they generally either gloss over or omit all together.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I know no one wants to have to purchase anything extra, but a lapel type mike like the Purple Panda on Amazon provides great audio for around $30. The reviewer said to make sure it's the 3ring TSR type and plugs into the dongle. He did a comparison between the stock audio and the audio from the external mike. The difference was tremendous as expected.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I know no one wants to have to purchase anything extra, but a lapel type mike like the Purple Panda on Amazon provides great audio for around $30. The reviewer said to make sure it's the 3ring TSR type and plugs into the dongle. He did a comparison between the stock audio and the audio from the external mike. The difference was tremendous as expected.

It's not just about purchasing something else, it's about convenience--particularly if you like to take impromptu videos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress