Pixel 4XL, is it worth it?

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys I still have my OnePlus 6t and I like the phone but want to get something with better battery life. I am debating on the Pixel 4 XL because it is on sale at TMobile right now. I've been reading and there seems to be a lot of complaining about the Pixel 4XL.

Myain wants in a phone are good battery, excellent camera, good performance. I have also been debating the Note 10 as well not the plus. I am just not sure if the Pixel 4XL has too many issues and isn't worth it? It seems the pixels haven't been selling as well and there seems to be a lot of negatives about the phone. So I wanted to ask here what the thoughts were.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
I have the 4 XL and I think it’s excellent for my daily use..battery is also good enough to get me through the day easily and I would recommend phone especially with a discounted price ..Note 10 + is also awesome if you can get your hands on a good deal ...

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I actually wouldn't get the Note 10 plus it is too expensive at T-Mobile since they only carry the Note 10 plus 5g, so I would be looking at the regular Note. I did have an OG Pixel and I really liked that phone, but the biggest issue for me with that phone was the build quality. Too many random issues that I didn't think should have been happening. Also it was a phone I had gotten on Verizon before switching to T-Mobile so I wasn't sure just how well it was actually working on T-Mobiles service.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I am also wondering if the Pixel 5XL might be worth waiting for and spending a bit more on? I don't need the latest and greatest but if there is going to be some big changes might be worth waiting for. The only thing that would make the 5XL nicer is if they do add an ultra wide angle lens to the camera.

stevo82

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I came from a s20 ultra and returned it for the pixel 4 XL and couldn't be happier about it. The ultra was just too much phone (and money) for what I needed out of a phone. I love the pixel 4 xl. Like you I was concerned about all the battery life complaints I've read about. I can tell you from my experience, they seem to be greatly exaggerated. On a typical day, my phone comes off the charger around 6:30am when I leave for work and goes back on the charger around 10:30pm when I go to bed and usually has around 30% left. That's after a day of heavy texting, lots of social media and web browsing and watching youtube. Of course the camera is amazing and the main reason I bought it. Depending on your budget you can always get a Moment Wide Angle lens to fix the lack of wide angle on the phone. I've had my phone since April and my only complaint is lack of a memory card since I take and edit and lot of pictures. Other than that I don't have any complaints and haven't had any issues.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
My experience is pretty much the same as steveo82 above. I bought my 4 XL in April for about 1/2 price (New - Open Box) and love it. I think I'm a Pixel owner for life now. I am getting about the same results as above, off the charger around 5:30 AM and back on around 10:30 PM each day, and usually have between 25 - 35% battery remaining. It gets me through a normal day so I am happy with that. I'm not sure any phone is worth what these companies ask for full price, I think prices are ridiculously high for phones. But if you can find one at a good sale price, I think it's a great phone.

midnightrider20

Feb 11, 2020
Visit site
it is worth it. has an amazing software. I came from a Note 10+ and hand it to my wife when i got my 4xl it felt like there was something missing.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
4 XL battery is NOT better than 6t. So if battery is your number one reason, that's not the right move. As for the camera, absolutely. It is the best camera hands on. So it depends on what is more important to you, battery or camera.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I actually wouldn't get the Note 10 plus it is too expensive at T-Mobile since they only carry the Note 10 plus 5g, so I would be looking at the regular Note. I did have an OG Pixel and I really liked that phone, but the biggest issue for me with that phone was the build quality. Too many random issues that I didn't think should have been happening. Also it was a phone I had gotten on Verizon before switching to T-Mobile so I wasn't sure just how well it was actually working on T-Mobiles service.
Have you considered an Unlocked Note?

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
Think that's great idea of you look around some deals pop up on Note... And I'd take my 4 XL over that 6T any day though... Just my preference..

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Have you considered an Unlocked Note?

I have thought about an Unlocked Note, but honestly was hoping to be able to take advantage of promotions at T-Mobile and just have it be part of my bill with the monthly payments. But it is a consideration. I also think I might wait to see what the Note 20 brings to the table in a little over a month.

As far as battery life my 6t was great when I first got it, but it seems it isn't as great anymore. So I was thinking the 4XL would be better than the 6t is currently.

I really do want something with a better camera, the 6t is just not good, I did however get the Google camera app working on it yesterday and I am enjoying the improvement.

I think in the end I loved my original Pixel and the Note 5 I had at one point that it seems I am leaning towards either another Pixel or the Note 10 or 20. The main draw for me with the Pixel is the camera and the fast software updates. It seems android 11 is going to have some nice changes so it would be nice to get it right away instead of having to wait a few months for Samsung and T-Mobile to get it out to the Note. But that isn't as big of a deal since the Note 10 android 10 update came in January I believe.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have thought about an Unlocked Note, but honestly was hoping to be able to take advantage of promotions at T-Mobile and just have it be part of my bill with the monthly payments. But it is a consideration. I also think I might wait to see what the Note 20 brings to the table in a little over a month.

As far as battery life my 6t was great when I first got it, but it seems it isn't as great anymore. So I was thinking the 4XL would be better than the 6t is currently.

I really do want something with a better camera, the 6t is just not good, I did however get the Google camera app working on it yesterday and I am enjoying the improvement.

I think in the end I loved my original Pixel and the Note 5 I had at one point that it seems I am leaning towards either another Pixel or the Note 10 or 20. The main draw for me with the Pixel is the camera and the fast software updates. It seems android 11 is going to have some nice changes so it would be nice to get it right away instead of having to wait a few months for Samsung and T-Mobile to get it out to the Note. But that isn't as big of a deal since the Note 10 android 10 update came in January I believe.
I thought that maybe you meant current battery life but wasn't sure.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
4 XL battery is NOT better than 6t. So if battery is your number one reason, that's not the right move. As for the camera, absolutely. It is the best camera hands on. So it depends on what is more important to you, battery or camera.
I can get my pixel 4xl close to my 1+6 in battery, but It also has a 90 hz screen which I keep on all the time.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
If the camera and updates are your number one priority, I would probably still choose the pixel 4. If battery is more important, I'd probably go for the v60.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I feel like the Pixel 4 is a solid choice, especially if you can get it at a deal or a discount. I personally preferred the 3 line but the 4 somewhat intrigued me too. I have an S10 but I do think I would have been happy with the Pixel 4 had I purchased it.

Let us know know what you decide!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress