Does the 4A need a screen protector?

jims52

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My wife's Nexus 6P (handed down from me) has finally gone belly up and last night I ordered the Pixel 4A for her. I've never used a screen protector on the 6P or on my current Pixel 2XL and have never had a problem with scratches. Wife has had the 6P for the last two years and it's been in an out of her purse with still no scratches. Gotta love Gorilla Glass.

I've watched a few YT reviews and one reviewer said the screen was soft and could be scratched easily. I was under the impression the screen was Gorilla Glass 3?

I've also seen that viewing the screen in bright sunlight is a little hard and considering the wife's poor eyesight, I'd hate to make it harder by adding a protector, BUT, I certainly want to avoid scratches if the screen is soft. So.....

Would a screen protector be recommended for the Pixel 4A?

If so, what are some of the better ones out there?

TIA

Last edited:

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully this helps you a little bit, on my Pixel 3XL with gorilla Glass 4, I never put a screen protector on my phone and just have a rhino shield bumper case for protection. The bumper case has a lip on it, just in case I can drop its parade my screen is just fine. It's all user preference honestly at the end of the day.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
How exciting for your wife! Yay! I'd recommend getting a screen protector - even just a plastic film one, to protect it from surface scratches - just to be on the safe side.

Of course, if your wife has device protection, then that would also help with keeping the 4a safe. Let us know how she likes it!

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
If you have a case that protrudes on all angles, you could go for a plastic film if you don't want tempered glass for whatever reason.

If you're gonna rock it caseless, I'd recommend tempered glass. While the body is lightweight plastic and will do better with drops than a glass back, the front is still glass, and a drop at the wrong angle could shatter it.

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
Definitely get a tempered glass screen protector! (My phone is in a Speck case with a tempered glass screen protector.) I accidently dropped my P2 out of my sweatshirt pocket, in my gravel driveway, and I drove over it with my lawn tractor. Several chunks were taken out of the screen saver, but the phone's screen remained untouched. I never drop my phone otherwise ... but accidents do happen!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all. Ordered the OMOTON tempered glass screen protector along with the Caseology Parallax case.

Great choices! Caseology makes phenomenal cases. One of my favourite cases was a pastel pink Caseology case for my LG G3. Let us know how she likes those products!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38