Google Logistics?

jack92029

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Ordered my XL on October 4.

Google is shipping it from a FEDEX facility in the Chicago area?????

Now I have to wait a week for FEDEX ground to travel the 2,000+ miles to the west coast.

Very disappointed. Why didn't Google know how many Pre-orders were from the West Coast and ship them from a FEDEX facility in Los Angeles, which would reduced the waiting and shipping time by 5 days.

Using Chicago as a Hub added an extra 4500 miles that my XL has to travel to arrive at my door. I would have thought that Google Maps would have been able to come up with a smarter way to deliver the new Pixel's.:(

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It is unfortunate - mine was also shipped from Chicago area and needs to make its way to New England. Not quite as far as yours, I know.

Of course, for an extra $18 we could have had FedEx overnight shipping. A pitiful amount in contrast to the cost of the phone itself. Had I been paying more attention when I placed my order, I would have sprung for it.

jack92029

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
My point is that the Pixel is built in Asia and Google paid to ship it PAST the west coast to get it to Chicago and then Return it to the west Coast. 4500 unnecessary shipping miles.

Chicago is on the way to New England from Asia so Chicago make a lot more sense for your Pixel.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
My point is that the Pixel is built in Asia and Google paid to ship it PAST the west coast to get it to Chicago and then Return it to the west Coast. 4500 unnecessary shipping miles.
Chicago is on the way to New England from Asia so Chicago make a lot more sense for your Pixel.

The phones are probably ciming from;
INGRAM MICRO - CAROL STREAM
415 EAST LIES ROAD
CAROL STREAM, IL US 60188
800 274-4800

FWIW -
They are a distributor of many things, including computer parts - I have ordered from Newegg, and items were shipped from Ingram Micro.
The Nexus 5x I ordered through the Fi store arrived yesterday from Ingram Micro
I am on the east coast, Chicago may the distribution center for the eastern US

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site

I remember the Nexus 6 shipped from China to Alaska to Louisville on UPS, then went out from there. Over at XDA forums they got flight numbers from tracking numbers somehow and posted their shipments in real time. I would imagine FedEx does something similar.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Haha, you should take mine that been sitting in FedEx in Cali since the 19th and I should take yours. I live in DC area, and mine is being shipped from Cali.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
At least the initial rollout units will all have been airfreighted to staging points around the country, none of these phones went by ocean via West Coast ports.

strikeIII

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I think for some reason the 32GB XLs are shipping out of IL and the 128GB XLs are shipping from California. I'm out of Chicago and my 2 coworkers ordered the 32GB XL the same time I ordered my 128GB XL and they're getting them today because it's coming out of Carol Stream, IL and mine will arrive Tuesday because it's coming from Bloomington, CA.

So yeah, I'd say Google's logistics doesn't make any sense.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I think for some reason the 32GB XLs are shipping out of IL and the 128GB XLs are shipping from California. I'm out of Chicago and my 2 coworkers ordered the 32GB XL the same time I ordered my 128GB XL and they're getting them today because it's coming out of Carol Stream, IL and mine will arrive Tuesday because it's coming from Bloomington, CA.

I ordered a black 32GB XL, and mine is coming from Cali. haha, unless they are sending me a 128GB XL by mistake. then I don't mind waiting.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Now I have to wait a week for FEDEX ground to travel the 2,000+ miles to the west coast.

Very disappointed. Why didn't Google know how many Pre-orders were from the West Coast and ship them from a FEDEX facility in Los Angeles, which would reduced the waiting and shipping time by 5 days.

Using Chicago as a Hub added an extra 4500 miles that my XL has to travel to arrive at my door. I would have thought that Google Maps would have been able to come up with a smarter way to deliver the new Pixel's.:(

I could say the same as to why not use logistics in the East Coast so I get mine faster?

They can't accommodate everyone. Chicago doesn't sound like a bad spot since it is more in the middle for everyone. If you wanted faster shipping you could have paid for the expedited shipping and got it flown to you versus ground. Free always comes with a price which is time :).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I could say the same as to why not use logistics in the East Coast so I get mine faster?

They can't accommodate everyone. Chicago doesn't sound like a bad spot since it is more in the middle for everyone. If you wanted faster shipping you could have paid for the expedited shipping and got it flown to you versus ground. Free always comes with a price which is time :).

Or buy from Verizon... Free two day shipping... If faster free shipping is that high on the OP priority list.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Or buy from Verizon... Free two day shipping... If faster free shipping is that high on the OP priority list.

That would be way more expensive for me since I would have to sign up for Verizon to do it so -- not worth ;).

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

128GB Very Silver XL shipped out of Carol Stream, IL last night heading for Connecticut.

anon(98335)

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I deal with logistics stuff every day. It all goes to "Cost" when we are dealing with logistics. For best cost effective way is to move everything to one location at one time. It totally makes sense for them to ship the items to somewhere in the middle of the states.

BMW

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
There isn't always flawless logic to logistics. I am sitting in my office, I can SEE the building my Pixel was shipped from (Carol Stream, IL), and FedEx still shipped it from Carol Stream to a Chicago facility, and back to Carol Stream. Lost a day in the process.

jack92029

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site

The local Verizon store has the Pixel XL in stock, BUT Verizon is so expensive. Verizon Charges $264 for insurance vs $99 @ Google, and Verizon wants $780 rather than $769 for the phone, and then they nit pick you on their fees. Verizon is more than $40 / month ($960 over 24 months) more expensive than getting the phone from Google and using T Mobile (excellent service in my area). I'l wait a few days. and not let Verizon over charge me.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
There isn't always flawless logic to logistics. I am sitting in my office, I can SEE the building my Pixel was shipped from (Carol Stream, IL), and FedEx still shipped it from Carol Stream to a Chicago facility, and back to Carol Stream. Lost a day in the process.

That actually makes perfect sense, from a macro point of view. Hand sorting at a local facility is less efficient and costlier than bringing to a central distribution point for machine sorting.

Might make your one package a day slower, but the whole system saves millions of hours annually.

beeztrain

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site

I broke down and bought from Verizon on the 6th. Received my black 128GB XL on the 20th. Received a notification today from Google that they were now in stock! Lol