Returned My Pixel XL

Bartone

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
What I really wanted was to keep my Note 7, it was the best phone I ever had but I had to send it back and get a replacement because of the recall and then THAT got recalled. The Google Pixel XL seemed like the next best new thing but the halo/ lenses flare issue was too real and in my face. I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a phone with that big of a blunder, especially when the "fix" would only apply to hdr+ mode (which does not help the flare in videos, and not all pictures look better in hdr+ mode). The iPhone 7 Plus isn't revolutionary or anything but it gets the job done and is worth the money in my opinion.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
What I really wanted was to keep my Note 7, it was the best phone I ever had but I had to send it back and get a replacement because of the recall and then THAT got recalled. The Google Pixel XL seemed like the next best new thing but the halo/ lenses flare issue was too real and in my face. I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a phone with that big of a blunder, especially when the "fix" would only apply to hdr+ mode (which does not help the flare in videos, and not all pictures look better in hdr+ mode). The iPhone 7 Plus isn't revolutionary or anything but it gets the job done and is worth the money in my opinion.
I'm with you on that. All I want is a Note 7, all these other options don't do squat for me.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Software fixes hardware issues far more often than you realize. :)

Not even sure it is a hardware issue – it’s not apparent on all devices, which means their current algorithms to reduce it are either working on some devices or it’s not hardware. It’s true that all lenses have flare of some sort and it makes sense that they’d use their HDR+ functionality to “erase” the flare, because of the way that HDR works.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not even sure it is a hardware issue – it’s not apparent on all devices, which means their current algorithms to reduce it are either working on some devices or it’s not hardware. It’s true that all lenses have flare of some sort and it makes sense that they’d use their HDR+ functionality to “erase” the flare, because of the way that HDR works.

They said it was a hardware issue. They also said they would fix it with software. If it doesn't affect every single phone then what does that say about the quality control of the hardware itself?

That would imply that some devices would have vastly different photo capabilities than others.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I can't live ITunes, or I too would have gotten an Iphone.

I'm using an iPhone 7 plus after being a power user on android for the past 8 years with MULTIPLE flagship handsets per year.... I haven't used iTunes once, nor has my iPhone touched a computer. There's no need anymore.