A few Pixel XL issues..

Laserbutt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I have noticed the following issues, have you?

- Apps fail to load, specifically games.. simple ones like RETRY and slither.io

If I had to guess it happens maybe 1 out 20 times, which is still enough to be noticeable. Why is this happening? I don't loose any functions and its generally easy to solve by closing the app via Recent Apps and just restarting.

- Keyboard fails to swype

This happens pretty frequently and especially when swiping "you" , it will only register as an "u" or a single press..

- Outlook sporadically syncs a ton of emails

My phone will just start freaking out with Vibrations and as i look at the phone the notification bar shows tons of email notifications

- Voice Detection

I was having problems with the Pixel picking up my "OK Google" command, I retrained voice detection which seemed to immediately improve detection but every now and then i can stare at my phone and shout "OK Google" in every way possible and it'll just sit there and mock me

I will say, despite these minute issues, coming from a history of Samsung and Apple Devices, my pixel is hands down the most fluid device i've ever used. I hope my issues are user errors.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Haven't experienced any of these issues w/ my 32GB XL. For the keyboard issue, are you using a screen protector? That could impact touch tracking.

My only gripe is a very minor one. That the date is shown in both the default clock and weather displays. Not a fan of things that repeat themselves uselessly, are redundant, or say the same thing over and over.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I have not seen anything close to your experience on mine -- a lot of that sounds like lag.

Did you set up as a new device? Sometimes pulling over settings from old phones will corrupt the new phone. I always set up as new and endure the pain of the new setup.

I suggest a full reset (set up as new) and exchange if it does not get better.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Swype doesn't work with a crap on mine. I had to stop using it.

When you say "Swype" do you mean the actual 3rd party app, or do you mean the vanilla implementation of it that's just called by that generic name? If the former, could be an issue with that app not being optimized for Nougat.

Amb312

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I use SwiftKey with the swype keyboard. It's worked fine on other phones for years, but not on this one.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the "Swype" app since it was beta and I use it without a problem on the Pixel so far. I am just use to how it works. With the Pixel I tried to just use the default android keyboard but I am just so use to how Swype works.... No issues so far.

Laserbutt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I have not seen anything close to your experience on mine -- a lot of that sounds like lag.

Did you set up as a new device? Sometimes pulling over settings from old phones will corrupt the new phone. I always set up as new and endure the pain of the new setup.

I suggest a full reset (set up as new) and exchange if it does not get better.

For sure not lag. And I set it up as a new phone, like you I always set up new

Laserbutt

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
When you say "Swype" do you mean the actual 3rd party app, or do you mean the vanilla implementation of it that's just called by that generic name? If the former, could be an issue with that app not being optimized for Nougat.

I use the stock keyboard but referring to the Swype method

G3OFF

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
I've noticed with my 5x that OK Google intermittently stops working ever since 7.0...so it might not be a Pixel thing

ainfinity

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Let us remember that this is Android and a new OS pretty much, I have already seen a number of my apps that do not behave...CNN being one, due diligence and hopefully they will be patched or we can find work arounds.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Just to add to the discussion regarding the keyboard. I love the Google keyboard, but how on earth does the Google keyboard on iOS end up being better than on Google's smartphone?