Seperating Ring Tone and Notifications

herbmmm

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I would like my Ring Tone as loud as possible(Phone is usually in my pocket) but at the same time I would like to have my Notification Tone set at 1/2 level. Is there a way to do this?

curiousgeorge

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
This is a serious regression of Android 4.0 from previous versions. Currently the two volume levels are tied together in Android 4, no way to separate them. In Android 2.2.x it was possible to separate them.
I too am very frustrated with this change, the two often need very different volume levels!

curiousgeorge

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I see that option in their Volume control panel but I'm not convinced it does anything under ICS. Have you actually verified the volumes are separate? I just emailed the author to verify.

Gratificulous

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I would like my Ring Tone as loud as possible(Phone is usually in my pocket) but at the same time I would like to have my Notification Tone set at 1/2 level. Is there a way to do this?

I hear you, man. This has been a huge complaint of mine in ICS; I have not found one application that works and I doubt there is one currently since the Phone and Notifications are tied to the same volume.

You will need an application where you can set up profiles and it includes every application where a ring tone/notification is an option. Even then there will be issues because I have found that, for some reason, Gmail is tied to the Phone ringtone rather than the Notifications.

beatnik27

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I see that option in their Volume control panel but I'm not convinced it does anything under ICS. Have you actually verified the volumes are separate? I just emailed the author to verify.

Include the volume widget and then select it and there is a check box to separate the two

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

curiousgeorge

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Include the volume widget and then select it and there is a check box to separate the two

Yeah, like I said, I do see the option. But does it really do anything? If the app hasn't been updated for ICS then I doubt it has any effect. I'm waiting on confirmation from the author.

beatnik27

May 29, 2011
Visit site
These are my screenshots for SwitchPro Widget, stock volume control looks the same, but there is a difference in volume between the two

curiousgeorge

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
These are my screenshots for SwitchPro Widget, stock volume control looks the same, but there is a difference in volume between the two

Huh, I just played with it a bit and if I set the volumes differently, exit then come back into the app it shows them both at the same level. So I don't think it works. Are you able to set them to different volumes and then go back in later and they are still at different volumes?

beatnik27

May 29, 2011
Visit site
I guess they are matching back up when I go back into the app. The volumes sound different after setting them, but I never have one all the way down to know for sure. Sorry for any mis-information

Gratificulous

May 5, 2011
Visit site

Right, any application I have tried "says" it separates them because they are not updated for ICS. I used Simple Profile Widget in HC and it worked great, fails hard in ICS.

My guess is a system level change needs to be made to separate the Ringtone from the Notification or find an application that is able to set volumes for applications independently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez