Downsides to google voice?

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
The MMS is converted automatically into email. I tried it out and it worked for me just fine. What am I missing?

or does it receive pics just fine but not text MMS?

One downside to GV's lack (or at the most sketchy support) of MMS is that iPhones (except probably Sprint phones that have GV integrated) and some Android phones send "group" texts (SMS) as an MMS. Lots of complaints on the Google support forums from people (and me) who missed important text (SMS) messages because the sender sent it as a group text.

GV sucks if you need reliable SMS (i.e. your job uses it a lot).

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys, long time Google Voice (GV) + iPhone user here...tired of the apple crap.... but very happy with Google Voice + JailBreak + GV integration...

In a nut shell... I relied 101% on GV... i receive/make all calls within the native iPhone native app (..i Know..i Know!!) and send/receive txt through the native app as well with help of a jailbreak + apps from the cydia store...

Question is:
I'm planning on moving to the Galaxy S3 BUT, I don't want to use Google app.... which is awful.
I rather use the native app with some sort of rooted app combination like in the iPhone, any advise? Anybody already doing this without problems?

Thanks in advance,
No-an-iPhone-lover-anymore!

Well this is what I did when I went to Tmo from Sprint. I ported my number to GV then I set up my number on Tmo to get calls. I rooted my Gnex and used GV intergration to use GO SMS Pro as my default texter. When I send out a text from there at the end it says it's going through Google Voice. On the whole it works great. Only Downside is you have to Root. For most here that is NOT a Downside. :D

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I just downloaded that program. Where does it indicate that it can go through google voice? Does it have instructions?

Well this is what I did when I went to Tmo from Sprint. I ported my number to GV then I set up my number on Tmo to get calls. I rooted my Gnex and used GV intergration to use GO SMS Pro as my default texter. When I send out a text from there at the end it says it's going through Google Voice. On the whole it works great. Only Downside is you have to Root. For most here that is NOT a Downside. :D

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I just downloaded that program. Where does it indicate that it can go through google voice? Does it have instructions?

GoSMS Pro does not normally use GV. It runs as though it's sending out to normal SMS. GV Integration is the App that allows GoSMS Pro to route through GV. To use GV Integration you have to have your phone rooted since it needs SU permissions. Once you have that done and running when you use another messaging app (stock or third party). GV Intergation will ask how you want it to be sent either by the standard app or Google Voice. If you choose GV at the end of the Text you will see it being sent through Google Voice. Hope that helps.

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I love android for the sheer availability and flexibility with everything.

SMS pro is amazing and the gv integration is awesome. It no longer requires root access if you have stock rom by the way.

Thanks. I can't wait to switch to Google voice now.

cavemandaveman

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I love android for the sheer availability and flexibility with everything.

SMS pro is amazing and the gv integration is awesome. It no longer requires root access if you have stock rom by the way.

Thanks. I can't wait to switch to Google voice now.

So does mms work with GV and GoSMS then?

UmyDinner

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
I get MMS attachments as emails sometimes, but most of the time not. Test cases:

Me: Galaxy Nexus with Google Voice on Verizon

Friend 1: Blackberry Bold on Sprint, no Google Voice
- When friend #1 sends me an MMS text I get a text message like this "<Subject: New Year's photo>", and an email in my Gmail account with the picture attachment.

Friend 2: iPhone 5 on Verizon, no Google Voice
- When friend #2 sends an MMS, I get nothing. No notification or email.

I also never receive a Group Text message from iPhone users. :| My buddy's S3 on Verizon has the option to send group texts as "SMS files or Text." Sending via the SMS file setting doesn't come through to my GV account, with the other setting it comes through fine. I'm guessing Apple defaults to MMS when sending group texts.

Eric Selle

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I realize it's been several months since you posted, but I'm curious how you set up your MMS. I'm also using Tmobile prepaid with my Google Voice number-

archer75#AC

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
People only have our gv number. Don't even have a texting plan. Don't text a lot with Google voice but it works well. Most of our friends use Touch or KiK which I like better than texting anyways.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38