Battery not the size as in specs.

JakobM

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I bought a Realme 5 Pro 3 weeks ago, and the phone is as expected.

I use AccuBattery, and when I checked the health of the battery it was only at 92%.
The specifications state that the battery is 4045 mAh. AccuBattery has it at 3705 mAh.

I find it odd. With the last two phones I’ve had, AccuBattery stated the health pretty consistant at 101-104% even though they were 2 years old.

Is this something to worry about? I feel like I might have bought a faulty phone.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
I bought a Realme 5 Pro 3 weeks ago, and the phone is as expected.

I use AccuBattery, and when I checked the health of the battery it was only at 92%.
The specifications state that the battery is 4045 mAh. AccuBattery has it at 3705 mAh.

I find it odd. With the last two phones I’ve had, AccuBattery stated the health pretty consistant at 101-104% even though they were 2 years old.

Is this something to worry about? I feel like I might have bought a faulty phone.

-You- have to set the size of the battery in Accubattery.
Charging page>bottom of page, punch the Set Design Capacity button>enter rated bat capacity
Without this data it can't do some functions properly...

You may want to clear all data -before- you do the above as some the data it has already collected is erroneous and will adversely effect it's predictions and accuracy.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
-You- have to set the size of the battery in Accubattery.
Charging page>bottom of page, punch the Set Design Capacity button>enter rated bat capacity
Without this data it can't do some functions properly...

You may want to clear all data -before- you do the above as some the data it has already collected is erroneous and will adversely effect it's predictions and accuracy.

AccuBattery should detect the design capacity of the battery during the initial setup. The only time you'd want to change it is if you have a phone with a user replaceable battery and you swapped in a larger capacity battery.

To JakobM, it's common to see brand new Li-ion batteries with lower than rated capacities. I've personally never had one right at 100% out of the box, and have always stuck with flagships from major manufacturer. From https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Although a battery should deliver 100 percent capacity during the first year of service, it is common to see lower than specified capacities, and shelf life may contribute to this loss. In addition, manufacturers tend to overrate their batteries, knowing that very few users will do spot-checks and complain if low. Not having to match single cells in mobile phones and tablets, as is required in multi-cell packs, opens the floodgates for a much broader performance acceptance. Cells with lower capacities may slip through cracks without the consumer knowing.

In one of their test of 11 batteries, they all had initial capacities of 88-94%, putting yours at the high end of average. The phone may have initially had an even higher capacity, but naturally degraded a bit while sitting on the shelf for months. Yours was released last August. I'm currently using an LG V60 released only a month ago, and it was about 94% of rated capacity from the start.

JakobM

Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
AccuBattery should detect the design capacity of the battery during the initial setup. The only time you'd want to change it is if you have a phone with a user replaceable battery and you swapped in a larger capacity battery.

To JakobM, it's common to see brand new Li-ion batteries with lower than rated capacities. I've personally never had one right at 100% out of the box, and have always stuck with flagships from major manufacturer. From https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

In one of their test of 11 batteries, they all had initial capacities of 88-94%, putting yours at the high end of average. The phone may have initially had an even higher capacity, but naturally degraded a bit while sitting on the shelf for months. Yours was released last August. I'm currently using an LG V60 released only a month ago, and it was about 94% of rated capacity from the start.

Interesting.

Not long ago I heard that manufactures put a fraction more mAh in the batteries so not to disapoint any one. In my book that would have been a sound business decision. That must have been false information then.

For some reason I am unable to store a screenshot from my old phone and post it here, but the info on AccuBattery says:

Battery health: 102%.
Estimated capacity: 3054 mAh
Design capacity: 3000 mAh
Based on 712 sessions with 31.273% charged for 954.921 mAh total.

So, with what you are saying, there is no point in complaining and getting a new phone or the money back?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Interesting.

Not long ago I heard that manufactures put a fraction more mAh in the batteries so not to disapoint any one. In my book that would have been a sound business decision. That must have been false information then.

For some reason I am unable to store a screenshot from my old phone and post it here, but the info on AccuBattery says:

Battery health: 102%.
Estimated capacity: 3054 mAh
Design capacity: 3000 mAh
Based on 712 sessions with 31.273% charged for 954.921 mAh total.

So, with what you are saying, there is no point in complaining and getting a new phone or the money back?
You have to set the design capacity in Accubattery

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site

I have the paid version and there's no auto detect for the factory bat spec. Maybe so on some devices but certainly not this one, Note 10 plus running on Pie.

After over 6 months it's best guess is 98% of its original capacity. It's gotten some heat and full charges but I've been conservative with it's charge cycles 90% of its life.
It estimates capacity by total rated capacity and how many watts of power it takes to reach a particular voltage level ie mah.
If you do a full charge this rating will change and reflect a number closer to its true capacity.
Seems fairly accurate if set up correctly.

I think it's a great battery conservation tool if use it correctly and limit charges to 70%
It also has the battery temp displayed. Not sure if it factors that in or not. Read all the literature on it.
When charging, temps become a big issue as you approach the battery's full charge V+.

Temperature causes less damage at lesser voltages. The damage happens even when store an LI cell but active high current drains accelerate it.

The device's high shutdown temp for charging is way too high. Need to keep charging temps below 90F as much as possible; 72 is better but hard to do.
They top charge can always limited though... by you.
I put a damp rage on it when charging every time which drives the device temp to 10-20F more than it would see without it. The fuller the top charge, the hotter it gets especially in high ambient temps...
Takes about 20 minutes for a short charge with fast charging vs a much more damaging 56+ minutes for a full charge from the 30-40% discharge range.
The app also has an adjustable charge target to audible tell when it's reached. Works perfectly.
So... time will tell.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the paid version and there's no auto detect for the factory bat spec. Maybe so on some devices but certainly not this one, Note 10 plus running on Pie.

When you do the initial setup and go through the tutorial, the final screen is the calibration step. It will detect the design capacity from the phone here (or at least initially display it) and show you what it thinks that capacity is. (Refer to my screenshot for example.) You can change it later if you wish, but I've never needed to on an OEM battery.

As for some batteries being estimated above 100%, that's certainly possible. No two batteries are exactly alike, even if they come off the production line back to back. There's variables that could allow them to have different true capacities despite the design capacity. The advertised design capacity is something of an average, not an exact amount one can expect. That's also not factoring in all the variables that additionally come in to play between when the battery comes off the production line, to being shipped to the phone manufacturer, to finally arriving in your hands.Screenshot_20200507-160408.jpeg

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think its defaulting to the rated minimum capacity. At least that is the case on the last 3 devices I checked.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
You maybe correct. I don't recall this screen... but...
I'm normally in lala land on uncomplicated installs... give me the beef mode.
There's no listing of this device anywhere in the app so it may never have self detected it.
Started with the free version and left that data intact.
There's no option to recalibrate that I can find short of reloading it. Not.
Another software mystery... :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You maybe correct. I don't recall this screen... but...
I'm normally in lala land on uncomplicated installs... give me the beef mode.
There's no listing of this device anywhere in the app so it may never have self detected it.
Started with the free version and left that data intact.
There's no option to recalibrate that I can find short of reloading it. Not.
Another software mystery... :)
It's probably pulling the info out of a database or at least that's my guess.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think its defaulting to the rated minimum capacity. At least that is the case on the last 3 devices I checked.
I've never heard of multiple capacity ratings. It's just the one design capacity.

If anyone wants to see what I'm talking about, open AccuBattery, then tap the menu button in the upper right, then tap the tutorial option. This runs you through the exact same process as when you first install the app (paid or free doesn't matter, and I'm not aware of a way to bypass this initial setup). When you swipe to the last page, you see the calibration page like in the screenshot I posted above. You can do this without losing any of your history or anything. If you have manually changed the design capacity, you'll get this result after the calibration. Notice how it states the capacity is set manually, whereas the earlier screenshot shows it was using a detected design capacity on a specific phone model.

As for how it detects the design capacity, my guess is there's an entry for that somewhere, possibly as part of the charging programming baked into the system.Screenshot_20200507-165356.jpeg

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
I've never heard of multiple capacity ratings. It's just the one design capacity.

If anyone wants to see what I'm talking about, open AccuBattery, then tap the menu button in the upper right, then tap the tutorial option. This runs you through the exact same process as when you first install the app (paid or free doesn't matter, and I'm not aware of a way to bypass this initial setup). When you swipe to the last page, you see the calibration page like in the screenshot I posted above. You can do this without losing any of your history or anything. If you have manually changed the design capacity, you'll get this result after the calibration. Notice how it states the capacity is set manually, whereas the earlier screenshot shows it was using a detected design capacity on a specific phone model.

As for how it detects the design capacity, my guess is there's an entry for that somewhere, possibly as part of the charging programming baked into the system.View attachment 320168

Minimum acceptable level? I got that same screen on tutorial where you said to look. The set up is locked unless I delete the current data so it runs the set up again.
Not sure what it's using maybe off the power controller or battery pack?
Your screen shot shows that it was set manually as well?

That exact initial number isn't as critical as the battery's performance curve while charging and as the changes from the initial measurements that indicate it's rate of aging.

Seems a bit voodooey at times as my battery health started at 99% then went to 98%, now is back to 99%
Apparently the more charges over 20% the more accurate it's estimates becomes per their information.
Charges below a total of 20% or less are ignore because of high sampling error rates.

Pretty cool... still playing with it.

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Only on the second screenshot. The one I posted before was with the automatic detection.

Your screen is showing exactly the same albeit the value.
Since I manually entered it I think it's defaulting to that value; initially it was slightly lower. I corrected it.
The correct rated capacity is what matters.
It sets the baseline... ha-ha life's not fair.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200507-184511_AccuBattery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200507-184511_AccuBattery.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 3