Honor 8: Nine Months After

lumivalo

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
For the past nine months, I’ve been using the Huawei Honor 8 (Sapphire Blue, 32GB) with a matte plastic screen protector and a silicone case on the T-Mobile and MintSIM networks as my daily driver. After a brief (and rather alarming) bout with some snow and water in January, I thought the Honor 8 was done for, but after some percussive maintenance (of all things!), I was able to continue using it. It has been a rather hardy phone; surviving falls, drops, and dunks in water (even without an IP rating of any sort), and I am quite fond of its resilience.

However, all good things must come to an end, and no industry better exemplifies this than the smartphone industry. After a particularly hard drop onto concrete from about 5 feet in the air, my Honor 8 landed (in a case) on a corner, and cracked along the top bezel. The crack did not, however, go over any important components such as the camera or proximity sensor, nor did it encroach onto the screen. Thankfully, the phone is still very functional, and the damage was simply aesthetic.

What’s my plan now? Well, because the damage is just aesthetic, I’ll simply fix the aesthetics. I’ve ordered a tempered glass screen protector that has coloring along the bezels, so the crack will be covered up (and yes, I know, I should have been using a tempered glass screen protector from the start, but the matte looked so nice, especially for reading e-books). I plan to continue using the Honor 8 for at least another school year, however, that decision will heavily depend on how it fares for the rest of the summer. I may buy a battery case, as the battery is beginning to show signs of usage. However, all in all, the Honor 8 has held up very well in terms of performance, sturdiness, and usability, and I am looking forward to continuing using it for a long time.

How's your Honor 8 holding up? Let me know in the comment below!

-lumivalo

P.S. - I'm out of school, so I have more time to dedicate to the forums, now! As always, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your review! I'm so sorry your Honor 8 suffered a fall, but it's good to know how very resilient it has been up until this point! The Sapphire Blue is also a brilliant colour.

My Honor 8 will be six months old now, and it has served me very well thus far. The tempered glass screen protector has a scratch on the upper right hand side, about a quarter of the way up. Don't know how it happened, but I randomly spotted it a few months ago. I'm just glad the screen protector took the hit and not the screen itself!

Otherwise, my phone is holding up really well other than the occasional glitch. Still loving it! Can't give it up for another phone yet!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your review! I'm so sorry your Honor 8 suffered a fall, but it's good to know how very resilient it has been up until this point! The Sapphire Blue is also a brilliant colour.

My Honor 8 will be six months old now, and it has served me very well thus far. The tempered glass screen protector has a scratch on the upper right hand side, about a quarter of the way up. Don't know how it happened, but I randomly spotted it a few months ago. I'm just glad the screen protector took the hit and not the screen itself!

Otherwise, my phone is holding up really well other than the occasional glitch. Still loving it! Can't give it up for another phone yet!

Does your tempered glass screen protector have the halo effect on the edges?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I got it from Amazon... I may be able to find a link.

I have been trying to find one but most suck. I probably should have just used a sucky one as now my honor 8 has some scratches. Such is life. But still i would like to get one before it gets worse plus screen protectors usually make scratches less visible

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Me too! I really hope I can eke at least a few more months of use out of it - it's really a great phone.

It definitely is. Honor really made a well balanced phone that is just a small step behind the high priced phones... But with a huge price drop.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have been trying to find one but most suck. I probably should have just used a sucky one as now my honor 8 has some scratches. Such is life. But still i would like to get one before it gets worse plus screen protectors usually make scratches less visible

I will hunt around my account after work today and see if I can get the link!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Cool beans! Let me know if you can find it. But don't spend too much time.

I'm pretty sure I got these from Amazon, yet they weren't in my order history... But I found the packaging that my two screen protectors came in so I decided to post those to you instead. Hope this helps! Of course, with the screen being curved, the protector does show a very faint bend to the right of my screen; but it's barely noticeable.

Attachments

• 15084.jpg
    15084.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 14

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I got these from Amazon, yet they weren't in my order history... But I found the packaging that my two screen protectors came in so I decided to post those to you instead. Hope this helps! Of course, with the screen being curved, the protector does show a very faint bend to the right of my screen; but it's barely noticeable.

Other side of packaging!

Attachments

• 15083.jpg
    15083.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 13

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Cool thanks for taking the time to take the picture . A little halo is expected as long as it isn't massive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez